Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

when is it okay to use wipes instead of water?

(17 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 07-Apr-05 12:48:57

hi all

at what age can i start to use baby wipes instead of water when changing a nappy please?

debs26 Thu 07-Apr-05 12:51:49

i would say depends on the baby. some friends have used wipes from day one, i usually leave it till cotton wool is not really enough to do the job anymore! (usually when solids start) but depends on whether your child has sensitive skin

gscrym Thu 07-Apr-05 12:52:41

I changed as soon as I got out of hospital. Couldn't stand cotton wool and water.

laneydaye Thu 07-Apr-05 12:53:32

with ds i used water till about weaning time but with dd i havent bothered....just wipes

laneydaye Thu 07-Apr-05 12:53:41

with ds i used water till about weaning time but with dd i havent bothered....just wipes

LIZS Thu 07-Apr-05 12:53:54

Think I gave up with the first really explosive poo !!

Kayleigh Thu 07-Apr-05 12:55:10

I used cotton wool and water on ds1 after about 5 or 6 weeks. With ds2 used wipes straight away.
Used the pampers sensitive ones for first few weeks then swapped back to normal.

aloha Thu 07-Apr-05 12:55:53

I've used wipes from day one, twice. No ill effects at all.

aloha Thu 07-Apr-05 12:55:56

I've used wipes from day one, twice. No ill effects at all.

iota Thu 07-Apr-05 12:56:20

when I was in hospital after my c-section the midwife used babywipes to clean up the meconium all over my newborn's bottom.

northstar Thu 07-Apr-05 12:56:33

When i was in hospital after having ds i noticed that alot of the 2nd/3rd time mums all had secret supplies of sensitive wipes hidden in their bags for when the midwives weren't looking. Is that not normal or was I just surrounded by naughty mums?

mckenzie Thu 07-Apr-05 12:58:55

thanks all. Wipes it is from now on. So much easier (especially as DS keeps trying to pick up the water bowl and empty it for me causing major spillage!!)

Gobbledigook Thu 07-Apr-05 12:59:53

I used wipes practically from the word 'go' with ds3 but waited for a couple of months with ds1! 2nd and 3rd time mums just do their own thing!!

poppy101 Thu 07-Apr-05 13:15:52

I use wipes but do find that when the baby has a sore bottom it is best to go back to using cotton wool and water. Wipes can be a little too harsh.

bonym Thu 07-Apr-05 13:22:01

I've been using them from the start - cotton wool and water just don't cut the mustard (iykwim!) with poo! I am using the "sensitive" ones though and we've had no problems with soreness so far (2.5 weeks in!)

Tissy Thu 07-Apr-05 13:23:12

I never used baby wipes with dd- even the "sensitive" ones are loaded with chemicals...

we used washable wipes with warm water, and occasionally a little soap for the worst messes.

Listmaker Thu 07-Apr-05 13:25:50

I used cotton wool and baby lotion on my 2 from quite early on - much cheaper than wipes and I seemed to be given baby lotion and had no idea what to do with it all! I only used wipes when I was out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now