Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What size wrap for terry squares please?

(15 Posts)
thehouseofmirth Thu 29-Jan-09 21:18:30

Someone has given me some terry squares and I thought I'd try using them on DS due any minute now.

Having faild totally to etto grips with all of this when i had DS I am more determined this time and I was planning to use disposables for a while and then go straight into size 2 TotsBots with medium Motherease Airflow wraps (or maybe get a few Tots size 1 as I think he's going to be a small baby).

As I've got these free terry squares I might as well try them sooner rather than later. I am sure baby will be around 7lb mark max at birth. Should I go for x-small or just small wraps to start?

thehouseofmirth Thu 29-Jan-09 21:24:59

God, awful typos! Sorry. Very pregnant and very tired...

lljkk Thu 29-Jan-09 21:26:18

small, my babies were 6.5-8.5 lbs at birth, and small size wraps were right in all cases, initially.

Look for the origami fold, if you can learn it, it's perfect for wee babies. You can use muslin cloths to make the origami fold, too.

NorktasticNinja Fri 30-Jan-09 13:41:11

My DD was 6lb 12oz at birth and the small ME airflows that I had were too big, I'm not sure how long I used the XS airfolws for though...

thehouseofmirth Sun 01-Feb-09 17:46:04

Thanks for your advice!

Think I'll get 2 x-small and 2 small and hope that does the trick.

4andnotout Sun 01-Feb-09 18:05:29

My dd4 was 7lb at birth and s airflows were baggy grin She is still wearing them @ 14 weeks, i have some for sale if interested

thehouseofmirth Sun 01-Feb-09 21:59:20

OK now I'm totally confused by the pros and cons of Airflow and Rikkis!

I gather Airflows are better for older babies so it makes sense to buy those in medium and large when we get to that stage but I'm finding the smaller ones confusing. From what I've read, Airlfows are baggier but the poppers allow for greater adjustability. This seems to kind of conflict with the fact the Rikkis are tighter fitting and really confuses me. Or am I overthinking this?!

4andnotout Sun 01-Feb-09 22:45:32

I personally find rikkis a bit stiff on babies stomach, the airflows although baggy are certainly bombproof, even if they look a bit gappy they dont seem to leak. They have quite a bit of adjustment in them too, 3 poppers on the legs and i think 2 on the waist, dd4 is 14 weeks and on the middle poppers and i can run a finger inside iykwim HTH

NorktasticNinja Mon 02-Feb-09 09:18:09

I use Airflows, they are totally bombproof and because they popper at the sides they don't add any bulk/stiffness over the tummy. 'Tis true that they don't leak even when they look a bit gappy.

thehouseofmirth Mon 02-Feb-09 09:58:23

So you reckon x-small Airflow on terries would be OK?

NorktasticNinja Mon 02-Feb-09 10:00:24

I'd say so, yes. Although I use shaped nappies myself. If I were you I'd look for some second hand XS Airflows (as they won't be used for as long as other sizes) and get some new S AIrflows.

thehouseofmirth Mon 02-Feb-09 12:30:11

Well that's the thing I put in a bid for some on a nappy selling site then panicked that I'd done the wrong thing! Money very tight here atm, can I get away with second hand smalls as well or is that a false economy?

4andnotout Mon 02-Feb-09 12:37:59

I have used second hand napies and wraps on both my dd's and never found them comprimised on relability

NorktasticNinja Mon 02-Feb-09 13:06:28

Oh absolutely, second hand is fine! Some people are a bit funny about it, but TBH the only possible issue is longevity compared to new nappies / wraps. With XS and S they are used for really quite short periods of time so there is unlikely to be a problem with them at all unless the have already been used for 3+ children.

The bigger the size the longer they are used, so second hand L wraps might possibly turn out to be a false economy, but even then they are usually about half the price of new so buying twice wouldn't be any more expensive than buying new in the first place IYSWIM.

jeanybeeny Mon 02-Feb-09 13:14:26

Why don't you buy some waterproof pants from Boots to put on over your terry nappies? They're very cheap, £2 something for a pack of 5 and very good quality for the money, nice soft legs openings etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now