Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DYEING secondhand cloth nappies??????

(15 Posts)
lynny70 Wed 06-Apr-05 13:45:27

Message deleted

lynny70 Wed 06-Apr-05 14:35:23

Message deleted

BevB Wed 06-Apr-05 20:31:42

Hi Lynn,
I cold dyed some tots bots a lovely deep lilac and have plans to dye some more a 'kingfisher blue', my advice would be to make sure you 'stir' them regularly and limit it to 3 max per bucket (should be able to get 2 or 3 bucket loads but must be done at the same time otherwise dye doesn't take) whilst dying them and hot wash them several times before using them to make sure the dye is all out. I can send you pics if you want ;)
HTH
Bev.

misdee Wed 06-Apr-05 20:33:04

can you send me some pics as well please?

blodwen Wed 06-Apr-05 20:39:31

I haven't dyed any nappies, but have dyed plenty of other things (including pushchair seat & hood) very successfully with machine dye. It's really easy - no stirring, etc.! Just stick it all in the washing machine. Can't see why it wouldn't work for nappies too .

chipmonkey Wed 06-Apr-05 20:42:00

Where can you get machine dye, blodwen

tassis Wed 06-Apr-05 20:42:59

Chipmonkey, you get it in John Lewis. Think dylon is the make.

chipmonkey Wed 06-Apr-05 20:46:16

We don't have John Lewis in Ireland. And it seems to be the place where you cna get EVERYTHING.

blodwen Wed 06-Apr-05 20:54:14

I got mine form Woolworths last time, and yes, it is a Dylon product. If it's not available in NI, I could always send you some?

blodwen Wed 06-Apr-05 20:55:00

Sorry - misread. Meant to say Ireland.

colditzmum Wed 06-Apr-05 21:02:49

You acn get dylon machine dye in Wilkinsons, does that help?

BevB Wed 06-Apr-05 21:09:47

not a great photo, first was a fluffy one the other was a short pile one, home dyed tots bots

motherpeculiar Wed 06-Apr-05 21:35:55

chipmonkey - depending on where in Ireland you are I am pretty sure you can get Dylon dye in Roches Stores in Cork for eg. Any department store with a decent haberdashery dept should do it - Arnotts in Dublin maybe?

the machine dye really is easy to use, and no problems with splodgeyness (technical term there ) which you can get with the hand dye if you don't stir enough or put too much stuff in to be dyed

haven't dyed nappies myself mind, but pretty much everything else under the sun has changed colour in my house, courtesy of Dylon

lynny70 Wed 06-Apr-05 21:39:52

Message deleted

chipmonkey Wed 06-Apr-05 21:53:41

Thanks Blodwen but if as mp says its available in Roches I'll get it there. Going to town tomorrow, ds3 has Holles st appt, good excuse to shop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now