Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Holding in wee ...

(7 Posts)
emmielou Tue 05-Apr-05 20:28:30

DD is 2y 9mo and have decided to start Potty training..

It is day 4 and had no successes, but very few accidents, because she either she is holding it in, or has excellent bladder control. Has gone 7 hours between accidents..

She will sit on potty for bribes of tv, biscuits, story, puzzle etc.. should I still ask her every 30 mins, it is soooo hard when she hold out for so long..

Started rewarding just sitting on potty with stickers, but have now stopped as feel she should do something in potty to get a sticker.. Quite willing for the choccy button bribe, but hasn't done anything yet..

Any advice, hitting head against wall.. already..

starlover Wed 06-Apr-05 08:49:07

keep at it emmielou, and yes, change the rewards to getting a sticker if she does something.
Give her plenty of drinks, and try sitting her on the potty/toilet every half hour...
as soon as she does one I'm sure she'll be well away!

Millie1 Wed 06-Apr-05 11:49:46

DS was doing the same thing so I literally pumped him full of water so as he just had to go ... poor boy's bladder was so full that he didn't hold it - no accidents, just full bladder gave him better awareness. Good luck.

katierocket Wed 06-Apr-05 12:08:36

my ds did this and I was frequently amazed at how long he could hold it for. Just keep it up, lots of praise when she goes etc. TBH it took ages for my DS to get out of this habit of holding it in, even once he was potty trained. He'd be jigging about, crossing his legs and dancing about etc "no, mummy, I don't need a wee" - could have fooled me!

mummylonglegs Wed 06-Apr-05 12:21:15

Has she done anything on the potty yet emmielou? If she has, then the other people's suggestions are what I'd suggest too. If she hasn't, I know it sounds mad, but could you do a little wee yourself on the potty to show her what it's for? My dd was well away when I did that . Mine's 2 1/2 and I've been potty training for almost 2 weeks now. She also has days when she holds it all in, usually when there's someone else around / she's at the childminders. She also once went 7 hours, I couldn't believe it. But she went in the end. My dd isn't keen on being reminded too frequently. I no longer ask if I think she needs to go, I just say 'time to have a wee, and I'll read you a story while you do it' and that seems to work. Though she's also mostly asking to go herself now too. Phew ...

emmielou Wed 06-Apr-05 21:21:05

Hooray DD did a wee in the potty this am...

Well, she started to wee while standing up, luckily close to the potty and managed to plonk her on it to finish the wee... I praised her so much, I was practically doing cartwheels :O - I know this isn't strictly a success, but I thought every little helps ..

She then left it 6 hours before needing the potty again... Missed this one though cause she was having her tea..

emmielou Wed 06-Apr-05 21:21:07

Hooray DD did a wee in the potty this am...

Well, she started to wee while standing up, luckily close to the potty and managed to plonk her on it to finish the wee... I praised her so much, I was practically doing cartwheels :O - I know this isn't strictly a success, but I thought every little helps ..

She then left it 6 hours before needing the potty again... Missed this one though cause she was having her tea..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now