Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

first day in cloth - soaking, and nappy rash

(25 Posts)
fruitful Tue 05-Apr-05 13:27:47

Aagh, sob. I used cloth nappies happily with dd from 2 weeks to just over 2 years. Yesterday I put ds in them for the first time. He is 7wks but only just 6lbs. I've got size 0 kissaluvs which do actually fit him. (Also have totsbots but they look huge - don't think I could fit them between his legs!).

Anyway, after 3 hours the nappy was drenched and leaking through the wrap, and his bum was red. Do I just need to change more often - have I forgotten how to do this? Don't think I can face changing him more than once, at every feed, - he hates being changed.

Would a paper or fleece liner help - I really can't remember.

Obviously I can wait till he gets a bit bigger and use the tots - but buying all these nappies at tescos is starting to annoy me (and my purse).

fuzzywuzzy Tue 05-Apr-05 13:31:48

No experience with kissaluvs, but have you prewashed them (sorry if it sounds like a daft question), but if you haven't and they are brand new that may be a reason why they have leaked.
Try using a fleece liner they are better for the bottom than paper ones which ime just aggravate a sore bottom. Good luck

misdee Tue 05-Apr-05 13:38:33

3hrs is a bit long. the smaller nappies obviously arent as absorbant, so you will need to change mre often.

eldestgirl Tue 05-Apr-05 14:00:01

I agree. Need to change very frequently as they are only taking in liquids and produce loads of pee. Fleece liners are great. Make sure his bottom is dry before putting new nappy on and I always put a thin layer of sudocrem on for good measure.
Boys always seem to hate being changed don't they?

fruitful Tue 05-Apr-05 14:24:33

Rats. I guess when dd was tiny I just changed every couple of hours. Funny how you forget - I was expecting to know what I was doing this time! And I'll dig out the fleece liners.

starlover Tue 05-Apr-05 15:17:14

My ds LOVES being changed! In fact, he just loves getting naked full stop.
he is 8 weeks.

what do you do during the night? ds is soaked by the time he wakes for his night-time feed, so have been putting him in a disposable... are fleece liners really that good?

sorry for hijacking your thread fruitful!

eldestgirl Thu 07-Apr-05 12:34:28

I used tot bots at night until they were in medium pre-folds (I use bambino mio prefolds with bumpy wraps). Then I folded a small prefold into the medium one and used a bigger wrap. My two boys were such rubbish sleepers though, I didn't have to worry about them going through the night in one cotton nappy til about 8 months.

Fleece liners are the business. I love mine. Even if the nappy is sopping wet, the fleece feels dry.

You can really bulk them out with cotton at night to keep them dry. They don't seem to mind having a huge cotton bottom!

chipmonkey Thu 07-Apr-05 13:09:59

Kissaluvs Supersoakers are great I got them here

chipmonkey Thu 07-Apr-05 13:11:15

I did a link and it worked!

poppy101 Thu 07-Apr-05 13:18:07

I use tots and terries with booster in the day, but at night put the baby in disp. haven't ever put him in cloth at night. Should I ?

throckenholt Thu 07-Apr-05 13:22:13

booster and change more often.

eldestgirl Thu 07-Apr-05 15:52:29

Poppy, I have always done cotton 100% of time, except when away on holiday. It certainly makes economic sense as I only buy disposables about twice a year. They do wake up a bit soggy sometimes though. With ds2 (v heavy wetter) I change him in his sleep at about 11 which usually guarantees a dry night.

You could give it a try? It usually takes a few trial runs before you get it right.

fruitful Sat 16-Apr-05 12:55:25

Ok, trying the cloth nappies again. It took a week for the rash to clear up last time .

So I put him in a cloth nappy with a fleece booster for 2 hours, he didn't even poo in it and his bum is all red again. Not that bad, but definitely red.

I'm using Tesco non-bio liquid to wash in. Maybe I should wash all the nappies with an eco-ball and white vinegar in the rinse?

What else can I try?

hub2dee Sat 16-Apr-05 13:20:04

Raw-silk liners are supposed to be helpful with bad / ongoing nappy rash (says the man who has never changed a nappy in his childless, innocent life).

cod Sat 16-Apr-05 13:21:00

Message withdrawn

cod Sat 16-Apr-05 13:21:42

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Sat 16-Apr-05 13:22:42

Another thought... are you using old sudocreme ? Could it have gone off ?

Some mums on here thought Metanium was good.

hub2dee Sat 16-Apr-05 13:23:15

cod.... get back in your bowl.

fruitful Sat 16-Apr-05 14:25:05

Cod, I'm quite sure some university is going to offer a degree in cloth nappy usage quite soon.

Hub2dee - yep, using a layer of Metanium plus a layer of brand-new Sudocrem. Its not so much healing the nappy rash that bothers me, its the fact that it reappears the instant ds's bum spends 2 seconds in a cloth nappy.

I'd stick with disposables but I hate emptying the bin all the time more than I hate washing nappies! Plus there is the cost...

And I won't be defeated by a piece of terry, I won't.

fruitful Sat 16-Apr-05 14:25:40

Ooh, maybe he is sensitive to Sudocrem... Is that likely, anyone?

fruitful Sat 16-Apr-05 19:43:36

Ideas on how to prevent the rash, anyone?

stitch Sat 16-Apr-05 19:47:39

is it because his pooh or wee is too acidic? if that is the case, n=maybe its his milk you need to change, not the nappy? if he's on breastmilk, then maybe something you are eating?
i havent used cloth on such a young baby, so no idea really. but newborns have such sensitive skin....
good luck

misdee Sat 16-Apr-05 19:49:33

what wipes are u using? are you making sure he is completely dry aftyer cleaning, so not putting a nappy onto damp skin?

stitch Sat 16-Apr-05 19:50:27

also, try to keep him out of the nappy as much as possible. baby massage with olive oil? or vaseline?
also, a bit of sun is good for babies, but only a bit!

fruitful Thu 21-Apr-05 11:51:09

We've cracked it! Hooray. Soap residue in the nappies. Thank God for that, I was beginning to think I'd have to do disposables for months.

He's so cute with his big fat bottom!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now