Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy changing bags

(110 Posts)
hub2dee Mon 04-Apr-05 15:22:16

DW rather likes this OiOi , or possibly this

Now, I can handle those designs as changing mats , they're kinda funky, but the bags aren't exactly neutral or manly, are they, and I guess I'm in for my fair share of the brown stuff... Soooo... may I ask the laydees here:

1) Are nappy bags a stupid waste of money - just use a regular bag and throw everything in...

2) The best thing since sliced bread... love the Petunia Picklebottom in red brocade

etc.

Could you recommend anything that didn't make dh puke, that perhaps you both could wear - maybe one that was v. well designed and clever (I like things that are well-designed and clever) ?

PS - If you'd like to see me with one of those nice floral prints, please be advised that I doubt my metrosexuality is up to it.

beansprout Mon 04-Apr-05 15:24:28

I know some people LURVE their bags but I really think they are one of those made up things that we "need". I got a little rucksack that cost £3 but then again, I'm not that funky....!

hub2dee Mon 04-Apr-05 15:27:39

dw's out of a funky new bag then, beansprout. I owe you.

beansprout Mon 04-Apr-05 15:28:55

<<runs for cover from H2D's dw....>>

WideWebWitch Mon 04-Apr-05 15:32:26

Stupid waste of money imho hubdee. Any old bag will do.

beansprout Mon 04-Apr-05 15:33:41

Glad I'm not the only tight wad around here!!!

anchovies Mon 04-Apr-05 15:34:53

Have to agree, ridiculously priced for a few extra zip up pockets. I used a cheapo asda satchel thing for a while then downsized to a big handbag after that.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 04-Apr-05 15:35:09

I couldn't have done without mine. I got one from mothercare which was £25.

It's like a record bag, plain black with 3 seperate compartments. It had a changing mat, a clear wallet thing for a dirty nappy to go in and a bottle bag with that silver stuff in to keep the temp right IYSWIM.

My dh flatley refused to carry around anything girly so I didn't have much choice but I would definatly say get one.

koalabear Mon 04-Apr-05 15:35:52

my dh is a SAHD and uses a northface backpac which he used to use hiking, which from experience, is much better than the other custom made things which have loads of pockets for goodness knows what!

beansprout Mon 04-Apr-05 15:37:09

I have a little mat that folds up that I just put in my bag. A spare plastic bag is good for anything a bit smelly!!

vict17 Mon 04-Apr-05 15:39:18

I guess if you were feeling generous you could buy her one of those lovely ones linked and then use a good manly practical bag yourself when you go out - like any old rucksack!

hub2dee Mon 04-Apr-05 15:40:43

Right. Sounds like dw ends up with a Roll of ziplock bags (large), and my old Macpac daytrip backpack piece of nastiness then.

She's gonna have the right hump when she gets back home.

Just found this - it's a back pack and then - tada - it converts into a (possibly not very good) baby carrier ! Neat !

hub2dee Mon 04-Apr-05 15:42:39

vict17, I know you're trying to do the right thing, and make sure deeofhub gets a pretty bag, but she ain't gonna get the lardy dah floral print and leave me with a free tesco plastic carrier bag.

No way.

BadHair Mon 04-Apr-05 15:44:43

We have a kind of urban-combat-style thing that we got from a market when ds1 was born. It's about 18 inches square, black, has little phone and purse-sized pockets, one middle sized pocket and 2 big ones. It's perfect for both me and him as neither of us are floral types.
Only cost about £3 and is still going strong.

giraffeski Mon 04-Apr-05 15:46:38

Message withdrawn

pootlepod Mon 04-Apr-05 15:46:41

this is similar but so much more cheaper that you could buy more than 1 colour!

chipmonkey Mon 04-Apr-05 15:47:38

Hub2dee, Ifound one on a website( can't remember which!) that converts into a COT!

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 04-Apr-05 15:47:57

The blue one isn't bad.

beansprout Mon 04-Apr-05 15:49:48

A cot?!! Eh?!!

Lua Mon 04-Apr-05 15:51:14

hub2dee,
I don't think you need a changing bag per se, but I think if you are as half brained as I am, having a dedicated bag would be pretty important. What color, design, previous use, etc. shouldn't matter. But is nice to have all bits and pieces together ready to go on a minutes notice, specially while managing to get of the house with a screaming baby...
I think it would be helpful to have more than one compartment, especially so you can find little things, and make sure dummy is not together with dirty nappy. This is specially important for cloth nappy enthusiasts like you....

I never tried backpacks, but could see getting confusing if you have a carrier on too, and you are trying to get to that lietlle piece of muslim fast before you get your chest completely covered in baby spit....

hub2dee Mon 04-Apr-05 15:56:31

pootlepod - a COT !

If you can find me one which converts into a TVR Cerbera I'd buy you all a bag of edamame.

Lua - muslim cloths, love 'em.

Bagpuss30 Mon 04-Apr-05 16:01:51

When I was bottle feeding ds I used an avent kitbag which I loved but dh point blank refused to carry 'cos it was too girly. I have also had a baby bjorn global bag which has hardly been used as it was too heavy when I started carting round baby food, cups of water etc. That was definitely a waste of money for me. I currently have a bag from next which is fairly slim and has pockets inside for everything you could possibly need but doesn't go on the handle of any pushchair which is annoying. I like having a changing bag as I tend to use it for my stuff as well as the kids. I feel a bit lost without mine these days so I'm currently considering this providing dh is in agreement, as it is a bit pricey. They come in some nice colours though .

beansprout Mon 04-Apr-05 16:05:45

Love the wording on that website - "the fast pace of city life...". Does my urban baby live at a faster pace than your rural one?!

Bagpuss30 Mon 04-Apr-05 16:08:05

LOL, hadn't spotted that beansprout.

hub2dee Mon 04-Apr-05 16:08:15

Bagpuss30: great minds think alike... I was just going to post a link to that manufacturer's home page (here) . but you beat me to it.

(bit heavy on the flash dial-up users).

'From stroller to shoulder'... kind of neat and not too girly.

Yeah, we hope to run with cloth of we can make it work... I don't know if that impacts on the sort of things we might need to carry... (erm... aside from cloth nappies).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now