Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I'm about to give up!!!

(6 Posts)
moowife Mon 19-Jan-09 11:16:53

We've been potty training my 2 year old DD for a week. I know it's quite early but as she's been doing her poo in a potty for a few months now so I thought we'd give it a go.

Problem is, I don't think we're making any progress. We have about a 60% hit rate but of that 60% she asks for the potty once or maybe twice a day. The rest of the "hits" is me hovering and putting her on. And it's been that way since a day 2. She has no problem sitting on the potty or toilet, but sometimes wants to sit on it and doesn't produce anything and other times sits on the potty as she thinks it's the only way to get to watch Charlie and Lola!

It doesn't feel like she's making any progress towards telling me before as opposed to just as she's doing her wee, so we're still stuck in the house most of the day which is getting a bit wearing. Shall I give up and try in a few months?

curlygal Mon 19-Jan-09 12:25:48

I would give up with wees and wait till she's ready. It's good that she's doing poos on the potty but sounds like she's just not ready for full potty use.

dsrplus8 Mon 19-Jan-09 12:31:25

no dont give up, keep with it, some kids just take longer to "get" it. my ds4 didnt say when he needed, but one day he just climbed up on the toilet and used it. hes been doing it since, not even a night nappy since then.still doesnt tell me when he needs, just disapears.

moowife Mon 19-Jan-09 13:27:25

Oh no, it's a split opinion! I feel so near and yet so far! She just happily sat for 30mins and produced poo and wee, BUT I said to her "We sit on the potty after lunch don't we" which she agreed to, rather than her saying.

I'm desperate to get back to cloth washable nappies with my 9 month old DD2 as I've been on disposables since I've had two lots of nappies.

What to do??

dsrplus8 Tue 20-Jan-09 13:58:19

smile hiya moowife! hows the training going today then? , did you stick with it? .try the "little princess, i want my potty book" its a fab way of getting the message across to dd.grin(what wee girl doesnt LOVE little princes stories!)

mum23monkeys Tue 20-Jan-09 14:40:09

oooh, Moowife, we are in the same boat. dd will quite happily wee and poo on the potty, as long as I take her. Yesterday she was playing upstairs with her brothers and I asked them to ask her if she needed a wee. They were great, took the potty to her and everything but she kept saying she didn't need a wee. Then the inevitable happened. I know if I had been there and said "let's go and do a wee" she would have been more than happy to sit on the potty and oblige.

We came out of nappies about 2 weeks ago, and I can't remember it taking this long with the boys. They're all different I suppose, but do wonder if I ought to go back to nappies, then think of the washing.... I will persevere! As long as I take her to the loo/potty, she can be dry all day, but I sometimes forget

We have the added issue that she has even less idea about when a poo is about to arrive, so these have only been about 50% hit rate over the last week. Ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now