Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Does potty training cause constipation?

(10 Posts)
mummylonglegs Sat 02-Apr-05 19:01:27

Me AGAIN

I'm 1 week into potty training and it's going generally ok except that today is the 3rd day in a row with no poo which is highly unusual for dd who's usually a 2-a-day girl, you can almost set your watch by her bowel movements.

Anything I can do?

MrsMiggins Sat 02-Apr-05 19:57:12

One of my friends DS is like this - doesnt want to do a poo in the potty so holds it in. I believe it's quite common although thankfully my DS poos for England!
I wouldnt worry too much and just give lots of praise when she does manage to go
Good luck
Isnt potty training awful!!!

mummylonglegs Sat 02-Apr-05 21:07:47

Hurray! She did one about 5 minutes after I wrote that post. A huge one. I felt so relieved it was almost as though I'd done it myself

Yes, potty training is quite one of the most stressful things I've had to do. I found weaning hard but this takes the biscuit so far.

mummytummy Sat 02-Apr-05 21:12:22

Glad she went - my DD1 bunged herself up for so long, she ended up with an anal fisure which caused an awful lot of stress in our household. To avoid this, make sure you keep her fluids up, and plenty of fruit, veg and fibre!

mummylonglegs Sat 02-Apr-05 21:45:47

Sounds nasty, mummytummy! Was that caused by potty training?

Yes, I'm giving lots of fruit and veg. Fortunately she loves baby corn which seems to just come straight through like one of those fibre supplements they give you if you're constipated!

mummytummy Sat 02-Apr-05 23:40:37

Yes, unfortunately it was caused by potty training. Apparently they can get scared that they are losing part of their body when they poo (bless!!), and she was too scared to poo. She will go now, but usually waits until she has a nappy on - she's been potty trained since January!!

mummylonglegs Sun 03-Apr-05 13:28:49

Was she scared of pooing right from the start or did it start gradually? (working out here if it's something to 'expect' or if it would have happened by now already ...) How old is she by the way?

Shazzler Mon 04-Apr-05 15:37:17

My dd is the same. She still hasn't pooed on the potty or toilet but has been weeing on both for about 3 weeks. I am really proud of her though as she is just 19mths but just not sure what to do about the pooing. She knows she needs but doesn't want to let go on the potty or toilet.

Did start my own thread but maybe someone here can help.

mummylonglegs Mon 04-Apr-05 21:28:33

Can't help I'm afraid shazzler as dd now seems (touch wood! ) to be pooing on the potty with no real problems except for being very shy about doing it elsewhere than at home ... Then again she was always shy about that when in a nappy.

At 19 months though I really wouldn't worry, it's still very young so there's no rush. Just keep getting her to sit on the potty when she's got a 'poo face' on, read her a story, play a video etc. and she may surprise you by doing a poo there without even realising it!

Shazzler Tue 05-Apr-05 22:13:23

Thanks for suggestion MLL. Will try but she usually does it just after her nap and shouts to let me know she has done it.

I'm not worried just wondered what suggestions would come up.

My ds was trained at this age too and can't remember him having that problem straight away but did regress at about 2 and was always pooing in his pants and I can't remember how we got over that. Anyway he's 5 now and has no probs so we must have resolved it somehow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: