Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

think i've messed up before i even started.

(17 Posts)
ilovetochat Tue 13-Jan-09 21:41:22

dd is 18 months and we got her a potty in dec as she knows when she wees and poos and says the words.
we have been taking it slowly, letting her carry it round and asking her if she wants to sit on it, clothed or unclothed, her choice. she has a potty book which she loves and we praise her if she sits on it, she has never weed on it.
she just asked for potty so i got it and put it in the bathroom and she sat on it unclothed, dp was in there and had a wee, she stood up and weed on the floor behind dp right next to the potty.
blush i opened my big mouth and said ,dd why have you weed on the floor instead of on the potty.
dp reminded me that i should praise her attempt and never scold.
have i ruined it.

cheesesarnie Tue 13-Jan-09 21:51:45

nooo.if thats ruined it-my children and most others will be scared for life.honestly-its easy to make a little slip.what was her reaction?
shes only little but its sounds like shes doing well just by being interested!id relax and let her take lead.

Chaotica Tue 13-Jan-09 21:55:13

Don't worry about it. It's hard to be patient and never make a critical comment (and besides, she needs to know what the idea is). Just try to be nice about it. (DD used to sit on the potty and then wee in her tent...)

ilovetochat Tue 13-Jan-09 21:56:22

thanks cheesesarnie, did you come over cos i said you wouldn't know me on the other thread? grin
she didn't really react, so i got her in the bath quick and praised her attempt belatedly.
mostly she refuses to sit on it and then i catch her on it doing her jigsaw hmm

smellen Tue 13-Jan-09 22:00:31

You haven't ruined it - we all loose our rag at times and tell them off for weeing on the sofa or whatever. But don't expect her to be properly dry for ages. DS1 still wets his pants sporadically (especially when tired) and that's after nearly 9mths of "training" and he is older than your LO). You just need loads of patience and lots of pants.

cheesesarnie Tue 13-Jan-09 22:00:33

grin
im not much help though in this subject as ds2 who is 3 still has problems.he was great at first.then his granny died-potty training reversed and still not back to how it was.sometimes we have a few days of every wee in potty,some days he wees where he likes.hmm
your dd honestly does sound like shes doing well!and you too!

ilovetochat Tue 13-Jan-09 22:02:20

thanks, not sure when to move it on and try pull ups maybe, she can undress but very slowly, may wait for summer and let her go outside.

ilovetochat Tue 13-Jan-09 22:15:25

have i killed my own thread? sad
will check back tomorrow grin

lucysmam Tue 13-Jan-09 22:54:30

My lo is 2 in a couple of weeks & we are potty training but slowly. She wears pull up nappies through the day but knows they work like pants so we take her to the loo when either of us goes and she sits on a little seat that sits inside ours.

She rarely wees but will sit there for a short while & does tell us when she's wee'd or pooed.

When I was first thinking about potty training at about 18mo I was warned that at that age it would be a slow process. But, at least the vague understanding is there.

Keep trying, even if she only sits there for now & doesn't actually wee in the potty, at least she will sit on it & knows what it's for.

I personally wouldn't worry about whether she is dry through the day or takes to the potty slowly, she can run around naked when it's warmer & she's older & I would have thought the understanding of being uncomfy/wet would come then

smile

ilovetochat Wed 14-Jan-09 14:59:35

thanks lucysmam, that's what i'm thinking, maybe get pullups in a month or so and keep it going till summer. smile

smellen Wed 14-Jan-09 19:23:26

FWIW friends have told me to avoid pull-ups when nappy training, as they found it confused their LOs.

And don't get too stressed over it, as your LO is still very young to train, and it can take months, or a year or so until they are accident-free. The more chilled out you can be about it all, the better.

There are loads of threads on here with great nappy training tips, but basically familiarising herself with the idea of going in a potty or loo (by watching you go, or sitting on a pot around the time of day when you would usually expect a movement (e.g. after lunch), with a special book to read at just that time, are probably nice easy ways to start raising the subject. As you LO gets older and more vocal, she will probably tell you more explicitly when she wants to use the potty.

Good luck. It is loads easier in the warmer weather, if only because you have a chance of getting the pants dry! That said, you have an advantage with a girl, with boys you get through all those trousers too

ilovetochat Wed 14-Jan-09 19:32:13

thanks smellen, sister says avoid pull ups too but dd tries to pull her nappy down when its wet so i thought she may get the idea of pull ups.

lucysmam Wed 14-Jan-09 20:29:19

I was told to avoid them but, decided that if she gets that they pull up/down like pants then it's worth having them there to catch accidents for now but also they're handy for taking her to the loo & pulling down so she sits properly on the seat iyswim

smellen Thu 15-Jan-09 21:24:05

I see what your mean Lucysmam, but if one alternative to using pull-ups might be to use cotton training pants (like Kushies) - will catch leaks and keep clothes dry for 10mns whilst you find a loo/place to change, but the wearer actually feels the dampness (disposable pull-ups lock in the water, so the kid might not realise that they've had an accident - hence the confusion).

Just ideas - everyone find their own way. Good luck with it.

ilovetochat Fri 16-Jan-09 15:01:29

thanks smellen, haven't seen these, i will have a look.

ilovetochat Sat 17-Jan-09 15:22:58

just had a success, dd was naked and sat on her potty, then she stood up and started to wee and i said youre weeing and she stopped herself sat on the potty and did a wee, then stood up and did a bit more on the floor, but i was so pleased with her! grin
she told her nan on the phone, i big girl, wee on potty, grin

lucysmam Sat 17-Jan-09 18:34:52

sounds like she's doing well ilovetochat!

smellen, they sound like a good idea, I'll have a look out for them when I'm shopping next. Do they sell them in big Asda stores or Boots do you know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now