Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Feeling the pressure

(12 Posts)
hayleylou Thu 31-Mar-05 09:23:48

Does anyone else the the pressure to potty train their child... DS is 2.4 and it seems everyone is potty training or just done it.

hayleylou Thu 31-Mar-05 12:14:13

I take it's just me then

dot1 Fri 01-Apr-05 14:49:31

definitely not just you - our ds is 3.4 years old and his nursery are starting to gently push -asking if we want them to take him to the toilet with the other children, if he'll start to wear pants over his nappy to get used to it etc. But unfortunately the answer's no, because he keeps telling us he's not ready and doesn't want to wear pants... He's really clever and big - tall - for his age, but is refusing to have a go - even though he can now tell us when he's going to do a wee and a poo!!

Very difficult and frustrating - especially when some of the pressure's coming from ourselves, to get them out of nappies.

wigglewiggle Sat 02-Apr-05 00:04:05

I feel the pressure already and she just turning 2. i have been looking at discussions on potty training just now to see how long i can put it off for. everytime i read all that work/stress i think it is not for us. actually there was a thread once where some mums were saying how late their kids were. and also some mums were saying that they were against potty training and that they waited for things to take their course, and eventually they started to refuse nappies and wanting to use the toilet/potty. i quite liked this option since i work full time and honestly i am not sure when i can have enough days off. i am planning a hol in august and i'd rather take dd on hol than staying at home potty training. i do not have a potty, i have one of those seat that fit in the adult toiletseat. she likes copying me and often asks to go to the toilet or wanting a weewee. but only had one poo and one wee. the rest of the time is just play pretend/copy mummy. i am always esplaining to her, please tell mummy when poo/wee wee is coming and we run to the toilet. most of the time is false larm but i take her anyway. my made up to suit me theory is very probably completely stupid and i am kidding myself but for now i like to hope it will work. for now

wigglewiggle Sat 02-Apr-05 00:07:12

i forgot to mention that my ex sister in law successfully potty trained her son by the age of 2. she started when he was 18 months! but she is at home full time. but 6 months of all that, and i bet he did not have a clue what was goiung on.
no thanks, rather wait until they are old enough to do it in a week or two

mummylonglegs Sat 02-Apr-05 15:00:27

I wouldn't worry about pressure. Grandparents often push for it because our generation were generally trained earlier. In my opinion, although I'm currently training dd 2 1/2 (her cue), I would just wait until your ds seems interested and you're ready yourself. Otherwise it's a lot of anxiety and stress for everyone.

coppertop Sat 02-Apr-05 15:08:46

Ds2 is 2.2yrs and nowhere near ready. He went through a stage at about 18mths where he kept sitting on the potty (left out for his brother) when he needed to poo but this was always with his nappy on. He still has no bladder control so potty-training would be pointless for us. Ds1 was 4.2yrs (autistic) when he got the hang of toilet-training so even 3.5yrs will still seem early to us in comparison.

fintamoo Sat 02-Apr-05 15:27:42

I have successfully potty trained two childrn and have one left to go. I went by when they felt ready and my first did it at 2.5, the second at 3.5 and the third well she is 3 and is still wearing nappies. She will go on the toilet (doesnt like the potty) when she feels like it. I am not going to rush the issue. I guess all children and circumstances are different. Just dont feel pressured at all.

saadia Sat 02-Apr-05 15:55:34

I potty-trained ds1 when he was just over 2.5 yrs, and it was pretty much done within about 4 days. It really is a matter of when they themselves are ready. I heard of people trying to do it earlier having problems, eg constant pooing all over the house - my nephew made a point of going inside his parents' bedcovers and doing it there.

dot1 Mon 04-Apr-05 09:52:14

fintamoo - that's nice to hear! We're despairing at the moment because ds will only wear pants for a few minutes at a time, and the minute he feels like he needs to wee he asks for a nappy back on... He can't bear the thought of using a potty or toilet and gets really upset if we ask him to have a go. So we stick a nappy on him because we don't want it to become a big issue. But I don't understand how we're going to break this cycle - other than him suddenly feeling different about it, I suppose. And we've tried all sorts of bribery - glass jar full of chocolate in the bathroom, the promise of train tickets to see Thomas etc.etc.etc.....

ambrosia Mon 04-Apr-05 10:42:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fintamoo Mon 04-Apr-05 15:06:45

Dot1, dont despair, it will suddenly come. Everyone has their own method but I believe that when they are ready they will do it on their own. With my son we tried bribery but all that happened was he turned it into a major event, which just made the issue more of a problem to him if he didnt manage to wee etc on his potty. We went against most health visitors advise and my mums and let him take the lead then hey presto dry in the day in two days and a week later at night. Hand on my heart I can honestly say we have had NO accidents at night from him. EVER. Chin up and it will happen I promise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now