Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is 19 months too young to start potty training?

(12 Posts)
Wills Tue 29-Mar-05 11:04:38

Not my choice but my daughters. DD1 didn't have any interested whatsoever in becoming potty trained and therefore wasn't dry until she was 2 years 9 months. DD2 however has recently started to show distinct signs. Its caught me completely by surprise as I hadn't thought it would happen until summer 06, not this year. She can't stand wearing a nappy with even a dribble in it. She's desperate to sit on her potty and can be found pulling her top up and trying to remove her trousers. By the time I've done it though she's gone in her nappy so we've not actually had any successes yet. On the basis that I'm trying to go with the flow and let her lead the way etc etc - how the heck do you help one so young?

Wills Tue 29-Mar-05 11:05:26

Oh and I've just bought 4 bumper packs of blasted nappies! They're not even pull ups!

Nemo1977 Tue 29-Mar-05 11:07:38

my ds is 17mths and for past couple enjoys sitting on his potty. I am not training him but he can tell me if he is wet and he even peed on his potty last week although being a boy he had his tackle pointintg the wrong way...lol
I dont think its too early but would just take it at her pace.

flamesparrow Tue 29-Mar-05 11:07:43

Just let her run round bare bummed and see how she goes. Mine decided it was time at 21 months, and we were pretty much sorted.

She's now decided its too much hassle and is bringing me nappies ot wear instead ... wish she'd make up her mind!!!

Wills Tue 29-Mar-05 11:14:19

Oh flamesparrow - lol

Girls can sit too far forward as well by the way - blood messy.

flamesparrow Tue 29-Mar-05 11:15:25

B likes leaning back to watch it all coming out and then it all pours out over the edge!!!!

Wills Tue 29-Mar-05 14:51:47

OK, so how did you communicate with them? The problem is that I'm not doing it, the nanny is. Whilst she's loving I've noticed that she's nowhere near as tunned in as I am and I put this down to a) me being dd2's mother and b) me being a parent (cos loads of others have noticed dd2's behaviour this weekend yet the nanny is skeptical). The nanny is struggling already and by 1.00 had put her back into nappies. I could do with anyones tips for instance I've told the nanny to take her out of nappies and let her run around again but when she has an accident to put her on the potty at that point whilst she clears it up so that dd2 can make a better connection. What do you think?????

flamesparrow Tue 29-Mar-05 15:05:45

Pretty much just what you've said... have lots of towels on standby for puddle!

DD refused to wear the nappies, and just ran round in a t-shirt. We had about 2 days with puddles, and me sitting her on a potty after she'd wee-d so I could clear up. After about 2 days she got sick of soggy feet, and told me wee wee with about 2 seconds notice, and it just started getting longer gaps. With a bare bum she will sit on the potty herself without telling me (as long as there is one in the room).

Its a case of feeling like you've got a puppy for a few days, and acting very fast the second you hear the word wee wee, or "oh "

Any help?

coldtea Tue 29-Mar-05 15:41:56

Wills It's so nice to see this post!

My dd is 20 months & has had all the obvious signs for weeks now but i keep putting it off as i've felt she is to young.

Over this weekend we've gone though about 10 nappies/day as she keeps anouncing poo & taking them off & now i'm thinking like you! We are going away next week so it's definately not convienient but when we get back i will start.

With my ds i put him straight into pants & just changed him(up to 10 times a day!)each time he wet , i only put a nappy on him when he had a sleep as i didn't want to confuse him. If we went out i would have put trousers on him but indoors i would leave him in pants as i felt bare bummed he wouldn't know if he was wet. I don't know if this is the best method but it worked for us & ds was dry 10 days later (he was 2 & 1 month)

Keep us posted though!

Shazzler Tue 29-Mar-05 23:13:32

I think that if they are showing signs of wanting to use the potty/toilet then go for it.

My ds was trained at 19 mths. My dd is now 18mths goes to toilet for wees. We have a problem with poos but I have a thread started on this so won't bore you with that!

She is your daughter so shouldn't the nanny go along with what you want?

All the best.

Wills Mon 04-Apr-05 11:12:26

Well we started this weekend. We were doing well.... until the dirohea started. Have paused for 24 hours and will start again tomorrow! ugh!

crunchie Mon 04-Apr-05 11:43:33

Mine decided she was ready at about 19 - 20 months and in a week was pretty well trained, but that was down to an amazing nanny. Your nanny works for you so you could insist on her help. However it would be better to work together on this and make sure you are all consistant. Can you sit down and talk to her, ask her about it and even ask for her suggestions. I found that this way the nanny was up for it, rather than against.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now