Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Would you continue or postpone?

(98 Posts)
mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 21:56:13

Sorry, this is my 3rd message on this board .

I decided to try to properly potty train dd this weekend as I have 4 solid days home with her. She's 2 1/2 and has been able to wee and poo on the potty and occasionally the toilet since she was just turned 2. She's been ok these last few days when she's at home and in her knickers, but the moment she's in more clothes or we pop out somewhere she totally forgets and just goes in her clothes. I'm also concerned that she seems to need to still do quite small quite frequent wees. So I can get her to wee on the potty before we nip out but after an hour or less on one occasion she'll do another wee in her clothes.

What do you think? Should I postpone or continue? She's only had 5 wee accidents in total since Friday morning when we started, and has done all her poos at home on the potty. I'm in no mad rush to train her but at the same time don't want to miss the opportunity if she's ready.

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 21:57:21

Message withdrawn

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 21:57:56

Message withdrawn

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 21:58:25

Message withdrawn

Enid Sun 27-Mar-05 22:00:46

god I must toilet train dd2 she is 2 and a half

Pinotmum Sun 27-Mar-05 22:01:07

I'd keep going. i'm doing ds who is also 2y6mo at the moment. This is the 2nd attempt and he had been clean and dry at xmas but regressed when he went to play group. He's fine till he goes outside and then he's wet but doesn't seem to mind . I'm not giving up this time

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:01:52

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 22:05:20

Glad you corrected that typo, cod, I just spent 10 mins trying to decipher your first post! When you say she's fine and I am doing it wrong, what do you mean? That I'm not telling her to go often enough? I thought the point of 'training' was to teach them to know when to go?

Pinotmum, same age as my dd. We should compare notes!

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:06:20

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 22:06:20

Also cod, you can't sit them on the potty every 20 mins when you're out can you?

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:07:01

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 22:07:11

Sweets every 20 mins?! Cod, I'm amazed your ds had any teeth left ...

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 22:08:37

I can't get dd to wee against a tree. She's already quite shy about going on the potty when we're away from home. She's got a bit of a 'royal bottom.' And unfortuntely I'm in inner city London and have to make a lot of journeys with no toilet in sight to get anywhere.

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:08:59

Message withdrawn

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:09:35

Message withdrawn

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:10:55

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 22:13:47

I'm avoiding pull-ups so far, trying for 'cold turkey' ('cold fish' in your case?). Partly because dd's very small and pull-ups end up round her knees in seconds.

Anyway, do you think it sounds like she's on track then?

ladymuck Sun 27-Mar-05 22:14:05

TBH it sounds as if your dd is doing really well, and I think that you should perservere. I'm with the Cod on this one - you should probably get used to the fact that you need to remind her every so often (not saying 20 minutes, but you should get the hang of how ften it is needed). And here it is worth pointing out that it will be your job to check that they have gone to the loo before making any outing for a number of months/years yet!

I'm another graduate of the school of bribery. Good "performance" should gain a reward, and sticker charts didn't wash until mine was older. A smartie or two won't kill them (though I avoided the blue ones!), and you can wean them off them in time.

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:14:28

Message withdrawn

ladymuck Sun 27-Mar-05 22:16:29

No idea about what to do when out and about though (I have ds's only). One of those portapotty things? Get used to the loos in all the cafes en route? Lots of shops will let you use the loo in an emergency (especially if they risk a soiled carpet if they don't.

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:16:55

Message withdrawn

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:17:15

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 22:19:27

I love her knickers. And I love the way her clothes look while she's wearing them rather than nappies. She hates nappies now and has been pulling them off herself for the last few weeks.

Dd's favourite bribe is chocolate coins. I stocked up on a few bags from Thorntons on Friday.

Incidentally, did you stay home for days at the beginning or did you still do trips out? I wonder if I've attempted to go out with her too soon. But it was such lovely weather on Friday and Saturday I couldn't resist an hour or two in the park.

Cod Sun 27-Mar-05 22:20:08

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 22:21:10

At the moment when out and about I've been lugging the potty under the buggy. It means always going out with the buggy however, and 3 changes of clothes, etc. etc. etc. I bought one of those portapotty things but dd's not impressed ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now