Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

1st time potty training a couple of questions

(20 Posts)
mummylonglegs Sat 26-Mar-05 13:54:08

Dd's 2 1/2 and has been doing wees on the potty for about 3 months when prompted, so this weekend I'm attempting to train her properly. So far she's doing pretty well when she's at home in knickers but isn't very good at recognising when she needs to go when she's in trousers. I've also noticed that she'll often do a small-ish wee in the potty when prompted and then within about 10 minutes do a bigger one in her clothes. Are these things just fairly normal? I'm in no hurry to train her at all so don't mind postponing for a while if these are signs she's not quite ready?

tiffini Sat 26-Mar-05 13:58:24

my DS walked around the house naked for 10 months before i could put clothes on him. HV said children are more likely to wee in clothes when training

mummylonglegs Sat 26-Mar-05 14:10:50

I've gathered that, tiffini, but how long is it supposed to take, generally, before they can wear clothes? I guess you didn't stay home for 10 months?!

Clayhead Sat 26-Mar-05 14:34:56

It took about 5 days with my dd, we stayed in for those, whilst she got the hang of things, then started doing small trips out.

tiffini Sat 26-Mar-05 14:37:12

i had to take loads of spare clothes with me when i went out, my DS was almost 4 before he was fully trained, obviously that is much later than normal but that is just my experience, he took 18 months in all it was a rearly tough time and had to replace 2 carpets a mattress and our 3 piece suite, i hope you have a better experience

mummylonglegs Sat 26-Mar-05 20:09:53

tiffini, was it that he didn't get the hang of telling you when he needed to go? Or was it only with clothes that he had the problem?

Clayhead, how old was your dd? I haven't been staying at home the whole time with dd as I've tended to find that if she has a wee immediately before we go out she can last at least an hour fairly safely so have attempted small local trips out. Having said that, the trips have ended up being longer than I've intended and the two accidents she's had have been right at the end of them. Even though she's also happily used the potty when we're out.

I've got so many things to ask like do people generally carry a potty around and if not how do you manage if you're out and your little one suddenly needs a wee and there's no toilet in sight?

tiffini Sat 26-Mar-05 21:04:11

mummylonglegs, my DS was well aware when he needed to go he just did'nt seem to want to know, another problem was that he did and still does drink a hell of alot (upto 8 pints)somedays, he wees on average 10 times a day, i think it was a huge inconvienence to him, but he was much better if he had no clothes on, he is fully trained now though not going through the night yet, wont be for a long while yet.

ionesmum Sat 26-Mar-05 21:36:10

Ourdd1 didn't train until three but got it very quickly. We had a similar stumbling point and got round it by buying knickers with Pooh Bear on. She chooses her knicks each day and we remind her she musn't get Pooh Bear wet. The first few times she had an accident she got a bit upset as Pooh was wet (bless!) but she soon learned to keep him dry! For the first week the potty went literally everywhere. We now just take it in the car. She has moved onto a small toilet seat which fits on the usual one and uses that most of the time, and that now goes everywhere - even to the pub!

mummylonglegs Sat 26-Mar-05 21:40:43

The Pooh knickers is a good idea. Dd would go for that but I'll have to find Noddy ones!

But what do you do if you're not near a toilet at all, say in the middle of the park? I know at some point dd will have a wee in the bushes but I imagine she won't go for that for a while! And what if you're on a bus?!

ionesmum Sat 26-Mar-05 21:50:47

Try M&S, they seem to have most characters. Look in the boys too - a friend of ours'dd loves Thomas!

Yes, we took the potty to the park in a big carrier bag. I took nappy bags to put poo in and put it in the dog poo bins! Make sure you have wipes etc. Can't say about buses, we don't have them in the countryside!

MadameButterfly Sat 26-Mar-05 21:56:10

If you look in boots or Mothercare you can buy a "Tommee Tippee, potette" which is a poratable forld away potty. I fpound it brilliand and had a few so I could keep one in every bag that I used when going out with DD.

If you don't want to spend the money on them I could send you one of the many that I no longer use as she now used a ToodleLoo fold up toilet set when we are out.

ionesmum Sat 26-Mar-05 21:57:24

Oooooooooh, a fold up toilet seat, now that I could really use!

MadameButterfly Sat 26-Mar-05 22:12:16

this is it.

ionesmum Sat 26-Mar-05 22:16:44

Thanks!

gingernut Sat 26-Mar-05 22:34:11

ionesmum, I've seen that fold-up trainer seat in John Lewis too.

Mummylonglegs, we are potty training our ds1 (3 y 4months) at the moment - it's been a bit of a long haul but he is improving slowly! The thing that has rally made a difference with him is a star chart - maybe worth a try (although if she just doesn't realise sdhe needs to go then it may be no good). We decided that we would take him to a toy shop after the first week, no matter how many stars he had (i.e. we just totted tham up and said `Wow - look how well you've done - you've got enough stars to go and choose a new toy!'). We offered him a choice of a couple of cheap cars, he chose one and was thrilled. Now he's working towards another toy. It's cheaper than nappies at least!

Anyway, we just take several changes of clothes, wipes and nappy sacks with us when we go out. Have been known to do alfresco wees, and have used dog poo bins too .

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 13:57:27

Thanks everyone.

Dd does know when to go, she just seems to 'forget' when she's got trousers on rather than knickers!

I'm also wondering if she's 'ready' because she seems to need to do small frequent wees still rather than being able to go 2+ hours like they're meant to if it's to be a success?

I've wondered about star charts but at 2 1/2 I think she doesn't quite get that yet. Chocolate coins seem to be a good reward with her at the moment though!

Actually I did buy one of those portable potties yesterday and although we haven't used it yet dd seemed to think it was quite 'cute' so we'll see ...

bodenmum Wed 30-Mar-05 09:17:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

desperatehousewife Wed 30-Mar-05 09:23:59

mummylonglegs

I'm on day 4 of potty training and haven't ventured out of the house yet either. My DS is exactly the same - can't get to potty in time if he has clothes on - but is great when naked. Hmmmm...am going to venture out today I think and be brave - armed with the travel potty

mummylonglegs Wed 30-Mar-05 15:02:11

Oh, great tip bodenmum, I'll remember that one!

dh, it's going quite well with us now though in clothes it's still a bit more 'dodgy.' I've got a more up-to-date thread called 'to postpone or continue' or vice versa!

bodenmum Wed 30-Mar-05 17:25:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: