Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Pull ups - are they crap and do they give mixed messages?

(24 Posts)
bohemianbint Wed 17-Dec-08 13:34:49

DS is brilliant at weeing on a potty until I put him in pull ups which he will instantly wee in.

Is it because he's lazy and knows it doesn't matter to the same extent? Am debating just going hardcore pants all the way and letting him deal with any unpleasant sensations...

sep1712 Wed 17-Dec-08 13:57:08

I do hardcore pants all the way.

Iklboo Wed 17-Dec-08 13:58:29

DS is only in pull ups at night and he only wees in them if he's asleep. He's been in pants pretty much since day 1 and has a bag full of spare pants & clothes when he goes out

thequietone Wed 17-Dec-08 13:59:18

I had a problem with DS1 at Kindergarten. He wasn't fully toilet trained earlier this year, so they would only let him attend in Pull-ups. At home I was happy to let him wear normal pants with the occasional accident. Turned out that he then got "lazy" at Kindergarten. Because he knew the Pull-up was there, he would just poo himself. Thankfully over the Summer break he sorted it out for himself and is on big boy pants all day every day.

Now it's just the nighttimes to sort out...

Ariela Thu 18-Dec-08 18:40:20

Of course he'll wee in the pull ups. To him once on they look and feel just like......ordinary disposable nappies, which he's worn for months and always weed in, so what's different? Ah it pulls on rather than does up with sticky so you notice the difference. (you'll also notice a BIG difference in price vs regular nappies - can you imagine the marketing men's glee when they invented the wretched things? ) No wonder the average age of potty training has gone up by 6 months since they were invented.

Ditch them and go straight for big boy pants and plenty of reminders.

mazzystartled Thu 18-Dec-08 18:43:14

I think pullups are crap [and often full of them]
I know others differ but I swear by the cod patented technique of naked bottoms for a week and massive incentivation.
How old is ds?

bohemianbint Thu 18-Dec-08 19:55:25

He's 2 and 4 months. I'm really pleased with him he's done so well.

We only bought the crappy pull ups because we were going on an 8 hour car journey but there was no need, he was really good, and I've just bought one of those mats that go on car seats and soak up accidents...

They are a ploy, aren't they? I hadn't thought of it like that. What is the average age for potty training now?

Ariela Fri 19-Dec-08 12:11:17

Average age in 1960s according to Dr Spock type books was 15 months. Average age in 1999/2000 was just under 2 years 3 months (pre pull ups). Average age now just under 3 years.

You can imagine the meeting when the marketing men at Pampers sat round the table and said
'We've had this idea, we'll re-invent our nappies but put elasticated sides so they pull up. All the parents will think their child is on its way to potty training because they can pull the nappy up and down, but of course the child will think they are the same thing so just wee and poo in them as normal'
'Great idea, but lets not call them nappies otherwise parents will realise what we've up to. Lets just call them pull ups instead'
'Yes and we can charge at least twice as much for them because after all parents are going to expect them to be a bit 'better' than just ordinary nappies, so of course they'll pay more, they aren't to know they aren't just ordinary nappies just made a little differently at the sides are they?'

BucksFizz Fri 19-Dec-08 12:13:22

Message deleted

stealthsquiggle Fri 19-Dec-08 12:19:25

We used pull-ups for all outings to start with, then for long car journeys / other places where I really didn't want to be dealing with accidents, but never at home/nursery during the day. It didn't appear to appreciably slow down the process. I know they are just (even more) overpriced nappies, but were less of a dent to DS's pride (he would never have agreed to ordinary nappies). DS also wore them at night for a long while after that - he is an incredibly deep sleeper so being dry at night was a matter of waiting until he could physically 'last' all night.

Acinonyx Fri 19-Dec-08 15:56:04

I use training pants for occaisional tricky visits/outings and we hav e the mats too. I've always used pullups like nappies, not as a pants substitute. Dd still wears them at night.

pinkspottywellies Fri 19-Dec-08 16:03:14

We've just potty trained dd this last week - pants at home and the few times we've been out I've put her in a pull-up and called them 'party pants'! We used washable nappies though so I guess it's not the same as a child who's used to disposables. She did a wee in them the first day we were training and I couldn't tell to start with hmm. I think them feeling dry is no good. We've also got some washable training pants which are slightly padded and have a waterproof layer - more for my peace of mind cause she would still feel wet.

Niecie Fri 19-Dec-08 16:04:54

Pull ups are nappies as far as I am concerned. We used them with our two from about the time they could stand just because they are easier to put on when you have an active toddler. The early adverts were never aimed at potty train iirc - they were aimed at fidgetty children who hated to lie down to have their nappies changed.

Hardcore pants all the way I'm afraid. Save the nappies for bedtime.

AlexanderSantasmum Sat 20-Dec-08 01:54:03

How about the 'feel 'n' learn' type ones which actually feel a bit wet. Has anyone tried these?

Niecie Sat 20-Dec-08 12:33:18

We did - they were rubbish. Didn't make any difference.

If you'll pardon the festive pun, the only way is to go cold turkey with the nappies and put them in pants.grin

If they are trully ready it will only be a couple of weeks of inconvenience and not going out and then they are sorted.

Habbibu Sat 20-Dec-08 12:38:45

Did the same as stealthsquiggle - pull ups out and about for a week or so, and then I forgot one day when we were going out, and it was fine. They're easier than nappies to put on now (she's 2) and we use them for bed alone. I couldn't face the stuck-in-the-house-for-a-week thing, so they're good if you're like that. Prob does slow things down, but maintained my sanity. Which is nice.

Habbibu Sat 20-Dec-08 12:39:39

Where do you buy hardcore pants, btw? I've never seen them in M&S...

MrsMattie Sat 20-Dec-08 12:39:57

They're...pants grin

What is the point of them? And have you ever changed a child who's done a poo in pull ups?

Habbibu Sat 20-Dec-08 12:41:39

"have you ever changed a child who's done a poo in pull ups" - I have, MrsM - didn't find it a problem. Swim nappies, on the other hand - blee.

MrsMattie Sat 20-Dec-08 12:42:24

Oh God, I had to get the scissors out to cut the thing off my DS. Never again.

Habbibu Sat 20-Dec-08 12:43:08

Did they not just tear down the sides? You wus conned, I think.

Seona1973 Sat 20-Dec-08 13:18:03

yes pull ups tear down the sides and then you roll them up and secure them with the sticky bit at the back. I found pull ups very useful at the start of potty training and used them for a couple of weeks before moving to pants. DS was young though and I was just gently introducing the idea of using the toilet - now at 2.2years he is in pants and can tell me when he needs to poo/pee and can hold it in till we get to the toilet for e.g. in the supermarket, etc

Seona1973 Sat 20-Dec-08 13:20:26

p.s. I only put pull ups (and I mean just normal pull up nappies, not the training ones) for naps and nighttime - I am not quite ready to ditch the naptime ones yet.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 20-Dec-08 13:26:26

We put DD in pull ups as they were easier to get on a wiggly child, she has finally cottoned on to potty training and does pull them up and down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now