Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

More Confusion Over Cloth Nappies

(10 Posts)
maretta Tue 22-Mar-05 14:20:10

I've just been looking at the tots bots website and I'm confused.

Do I need to order nappies, liners and wraps - that makes about 15 pounds per nappy.

Didn't realise it was such an expensive business.

lunavix Tue 22-Mar-05 14:21:24

Yes... sadly!

However you'll only need about 4 or 5 wraps - so it's not one per nappy!

Works out cheaper in the long run - unless you get an addiction!

juuule Tue 22-Mar-05 14:33:56

But...look at it another way....

Roughly....

£15 per nappy - baby only needs 20 nappies from birth to potty. Cost = 20 x 15 = £300.

17p per disposable nappy. Baby needs 6,500 nappies. (50 per week for 130 weeks).
Cost = 6,500 x 0.17p = £1105.

And as has been said in previous post you don't need a wrap per nappy - so cost of reusable nappies is even less than £15 each.

It's difficult to see why people gasp at the cost of reusable nappies and blithely pay £5 to £8+ per week unquestioningly for bags of disposables.

Reusables you are only paying for 20 - 30 nappies.
Disposables you are paying for thousands.
And - you get to keep the reusables

katzguk Tue 22-Mar-05 14:36:15

the thing to factor in is that you'll be able to sell them on afterwards generally if they're still in good condition for about half orignal price. unlike disposalables doubt anyone would want secondhand ones of those!

sweetkitty Tue 22-Mar-05 15:09:18

Have ordered mine from the nappy lady it was 7.25 per nappy, 1.60 for a booster, 1.00 for a fleece liner and 7.79 for a wrap but as others have said you only need 4 or 5 of them

can't wait till the postman brings them

pootlepod Tue 22-Mar-05 15:18:02

Alternatively, good quality terries are much cheaper than tots. Also, you can make your own liners more cheaply if you buy the material yourself (no need to sew). And by using reusable wipes/flannels, you'll save at least £50 a year.

tarantula Tue 22-Mar-05 15:42:02

I use Motherease one size and have spent 200 in all on nappies and wraps etc. I use baby wipes if Im out but use a flannel if indoors. So Im saving a huge amount on buying nappies and am really pleased with them too. But them Ive got dp at home full time so he does all the washing

chipmonkey Tue 22-Mar-05 16:19:13

If you use prefolds its less expensive but more fiddly!

Gem13 Tue 22-Mar-05 16:26:40

And when your second child uses your first child's hand-me-downs it is even cheaper .

We reckon we've saved about £1,500-£2,000 on the two of them!

DH reckons we'll get another one through them too!

Gem13 Tue 22-Mar-05 16:27:29

We use washable wipes too and flannels instead of kitchen roll...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now