Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What are the signs of readiness?

(4 Posts)
colditzmum Fri 18-Mar-05 14:18:35

My ds is nearly 2, and i have no idea how to potty train, or when to start. Will he let me know? Will he start doing particular things? I would like to start this summer, is that a reasonable time to start?

LIZS Fri 18-Mar-05 15:14:44

Gina Ford, not that I have used her philosophies much, has, I think, 7 key points of readiness. Basically they revolve around awareness of weeing/pooing - intially afterwards then the need to go before doing - having a dry nappy for a few hours, ability to communicate, able to manage simple clothing, will sit and focus for a few minutes etc.

You've nothing to lose by trying when the warmer weather comes, if only to see what his current habvits are and assess how long he can "hold", but it may prove early for him to become reliable and unless he is very fussy he is unlikely to initiate it yet. However some can do it early, if they are physically ready. Our nephew went dry overnight at almost 2.

Good luck

LIZS Fri 18-Mar-05 15:22:44

Have a look at this thread where Hula lists the GF details and there are other ideas for you to try.

Bramshott Fri 18-Mar-05 16:25:02

I don't think you can ever really know until you try. My DD is 2yrs 2m, and like you, I'm holding out for the warmer weather. I'm hoping that will make it easier, but who can say!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: