Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help! Yellow skid marks on my rainbow bots!

(22 Posts)
Annner Wed 16-Mar-05 09:49:45

Eeeeek! Dd is in lovely rainbow bots - but two of them have gained some rather attractive yellow breastmilk-poo skid marks (ie flourescent!) that remain after two washes.

I wash them at 60, on a long cycle, with a prewash and a good dollop of Babyoxy in the drum. I use Ecover non bio. Oh yes, and I dry pail.

What else can I do to return my Tots to their former glory or to prevent others from going the same way? I don't mind my cheapo home made fleece liners becoming a bit piebald, but her lovely bots.......

Annner

misdee Wed 16-Mar-05 09:50:51

put therm in the sun.

lunavix Wed 16-Mar-05 09:51:32

Doesn't that make them fade?

And, misdee, what sun? THis is the UK!

misdee Wed 16-Mar-05 09:53:25

its sunny here, well a little bit.

apparently the sun will bleach out the stains but shouldnt harm the cvolour of the nappy.

Annner Wed 16-Mar-05 13:21:31

Hmmmm - there is a bit of sun peeking out from behind a cloud - but it has a hell of a job on its hands to bleach that little lot out.

ANy other ideas?

misdee Wed 16-Mar-05 13:25:11

tbh, does it matter? its not like people see the inside of the nappy.

other than that, maybe try soaking overnight with some oxyclean/vanish oxy stuff, and then wash again.

MrsDoolittle Wed 16-Mar-05 13:28:31

This is the problem with breast fed poo unfortunately. I used vanish oxy and my rainbow bots all faded dramatically
So when I bought my bright new size 2's, I washed them at 40.
Try white vinegar and the non - bio without anything else. If 40 doesn't work try 60, but I think with the long cycle and oxy stuff they will dim in no time. White vinegar will have you sorted

pootlepod Wed 16-Mar-05 14:22:19

The sun works brillantly, I usually put them on the windowsill and it works.

BTW does it work as well with 'normal' poo stains? DD has messed up a lovely kissi (though it was my fault for not putting fleece liner in )

MrsDoolittle Wed 16-Mar-05 14:41:26

pootlepod - have you got an of the kissaluvs combo colours?

pootlepod Wed 16-Mar-05 16:55:43

yes I have, though got most of them 2nd hand. Have a red one, melon-peach one, blue. they are very soft, and good for about 3, 4 hours on.

Annner Wed 16-Mar-05 21:18:12

Thanks, MrsDolittle - I'll have a go with the white vinegar rinse after a good babyoxy soak. They are a bit better after a second wash.

Perhaps I need to invest in a greater quantity of yellow bots (she said, reaching gleefully for the credit card...)

I guess that it is a choice between permaskids and fading bots! Bit of a pain; the fleece liners do usually do their job, but there are sometimes explosions that could really do with a bucket rather than a liner!

Annner Wed 16-Mar-05 21:19:21

Hadn't thought of the window sill as opposed to the great outdoors. Will try that too.

Is it as bad once they are weaned and onto solids? I mean, does the poo stain and explode as widely?

Yorkiegirl Wed 16-Mar-05 21:22:59

Message withdrawn

misdee Wed 16-Mar-05 21:23:58

dd2 still explodes, and she is 2.5years old. i have badly stained nappies oh the shame

Annner Wed 16-Mar-05 21:27:29

...raises the question of which colour to go for once we start solids!

Yorkiegirl Wed 16-Mar-05 21:28:30

Message withdrawn

Annner Wed 16-Mar-05 21:31:18

Could be coordinated according to the meals of the day... different shades...

But piles of clean and dirty nappies would have to be sorted EXTREMELY carefully!

eidsvold Thu 17-Mar-05 05:40:40

luckily for us the cloudy rainy days are fairly infrequent. The sun does the job of bleaching out the stains - even spaghetti sauce stains out of dd1's clothes....and does not fade the clothes. I put in a bit of nappy soaker when I do the wash. Really does help with stains.

chipmonkey Mon 21-Mar-05 16:35:26

Resurrecting this thread to ask Mrs Doolittle, where do you put the vinegar, in the drawer of the washing machine? And do you put it in at the start of the cycle or for rinsing? Sorry but notvery laundry -savvy!

chipmonkey Mon 21-Mar-05 18:42:57

bump!

Annner Fri 25-Mar-05 22:24:04

I'm assuming that it's the conditioner section of the powder drawer, because that's where the "final rinse" additives come from.

I think.

Not too hot on laundry, either...

cally272 Sat 26-Mar-05 16:44:31

For future reference, any nappies subjected to "explosions" should be soaked in COLD water - you dont need anything else, this has worked for both my breastfed babies nappies- My granny told me to do it and I didnt believe her, but it worked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now