Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

It's our first day on cloths!

(39 Posts)
evansmummy Tue 15-Mar-05 11:12:39

I've putting it off since ds was born 13 weeks ago, but have had enough and have taken the plunge today. We have only a couple of Motherease one size and a couple of tots bots to try out for the moment, so we'll see which we like best and then buy the rest. But I'm soooo excited and pleased that I've finally got round to doing it. And even though the ME aren't that pretty, he looked so cute in them! So I've put on a ME one size, a fleece liner and a paper liner in case of poo, and a ME rikki wrap. Does that sound ok to you experts??

zubb Tue 15-Mar-05 11:36:24

Good luck!

sweetkitty Tue 15-Mar-05 12:02:33

will wait and see how you get on

i'm going to buy mine this week

pootlepod Tue 15-Mar-05 15:08:03

Sounds great, let us know how you get on

moondog Tue 15-Mar-05 15:10:42

Good luck. I'm a Bambino Mio girl myself, but I do love the virtuous feeling I get from using them.....

Yorkiegirl Tue 15-Mar-05 15:13:04

Message withdrawn

flamesparrow Tue 15-Mar-05 15:15:32

Yay!! How's it goin?

evansmummy Tue 15-Mar-05 15:52:25

It's not going very well! Or maybe it is. I don't know what's normal with cloths! I've posted about a 'sopping wet bottom' - after the first change ds's bottom was really wet. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? I was so distressed by the wetness that he's back in a disposable already! I'm disappointed that his ME, even with a fleece liner, has left him so wet, and if this is normal with cloths, I'm gonna have trouble continuing. Please help cos I really do want to carry on!

humphrey Tue 15-Mar-05 19:36:40

Had the fleece got all screwed up? Where did you get your fleeces from? what are they made from? Did you try with just fleece and not the paper liner as you don't really need a paper liner if you have a fleece and the paper liner might be making the bum wet

moondog Tue 15-Mar-05 22:38:35

How long did you leave the nappy on? They do have to be changed more often than disposables and you may be shocked at how much wee they hold, but hey! be more shocked at the thought of all the creepy chemicals in disposables that hold that much urine and what in the name of God they are doing to your son's delicate gonads!!!!
Really!!!!

evansmummy Wed 16-Mar-05 04:30:47

Thanks moondog! Very delicately put!! He'd had it on for between 3 and 4 hours, I think. And the fleece liner was from the nappylady. Am gonna try my tots bots tomorrow and see how that goes.

flamesparrow Wed 16-Mar-05 08:31:50

Oooh, the other thing is... how many times had you washed em before using... the more times they have been washed, the more absorbant.

evansmummy Wed 16-Mar-05 08:52:07

Aaaaaaah! Fs, that could've been the problem. It was a brand new nappy, washed once or maybe twice. Perhaps it'll be beter after a few more washes?? Anyway, today, the tots bots is on. Oooooh, the suspense...

flamesparrow Wed 16-Mar-05 09:08:29

Lol - I spent my first week or so with just terry squares, and dp would laugh cos i had a new fold every day!!!

flamesparrow Wed 16-Mar-05 09:10:47

Oooh, the other thing I didn't find out for ages was that I only needed a teeny amount of washing powder for them - When I had a full washload full, I only need abou 1/4 scoop of powder at the absolute maximum. Otherwise there is too much residue left, which I was told makes the ammonia smell worse.

moondog Wed 16-Mar-05 17:26:10

Yes, def. better when washed (and tumble dried a little to fluff 'em up.) The same set are actually working better on ds than they did on his older sister.
(Reason 2 to feel smug. Goodness, there are so many...)

MrsDoolittle Wed 16-Mar-05 17:33:46

Goodluck evansmummy - I'm pretty confident you'll come round Sensible people always do

evansmummy Wed 16-Mar-05 18:12:39

Today we were on tots bots and that was a huge improvement on the ME. Also I changed him after 2 1/2 hours and that seemed to be better too. However, that's gonna make for a lot of nappy changes in a day!! Also still using ME wraps cos they're the only ones I have at the mo, and definitely don't like them. Leave horrible red marks round his legs and waist, so am hoping to find some fleece wraps to try soon. Any ideas which are best??

Yorkiegirl Wed 16-Mar-05 18:13:48

Message withdrawn

MrsDoolittle Wed 16-Mar-05 18:46:29

Evansmummy you have definately put the wrap on too tight. Wraps are not for containment they are only to provide a waterproof layer. So in effect yuor wrap should only be resting on your babies skin, the nappy does all the rest! HTH

Yorkiegirl Wed 16-Mar-05 20:48:55

Message withdrawn

evansmummy Thu 17-Mar-05 10:46:24

ooops. I'll definitely try that then. What a nonce...

99redballoons Fri 18-Mar-05 17:15:06

Hi evansmummy, glad to hear you're trying cloth. I remember the first couple of weeks I moved over (ds was 10mo at the time) and it was really hard getting used to the wettness, which poppers to use etc. It will take a couple of weeks of experimenting before it 'clicks', but definitely worth persevering! As part of the experimenting you will find out which nappies can hold what amount of wee so you will find perhaps more frequent changes when in MEOS (I haven't tried these myself) compared to a Totsbots (my ds could go 3-4 hrs in one of these). I must admit I quickly moved away from 'liners' and tried a Bumble which has the fleece liner attached. Plus you can bulk them out with a bit more terry if you know you'll be out for a while, eg shopping trip, or at night. You don't have to worry about the fleece liner crumpling up whilst on and it definitely keeps the bottom really dry. I would say the absorbancy equalled the Tots.

Also love my ME Airflow wraps once you get used to which settings. You may need the M size now? You should be able to stick two fingers round the rim comfortably.

Another thing to check is if you're using a fleece liner do you have it the right way? The long pile must be against the bottom so it draws the wee away in the right direction. I wouldn't bother with paper liners once you're on fleece. The paper will always stay wet.

Try a Bumble (or a Bimble as your little one is still small)

Polina Fri 18-Mar-05 17:33:34

Bumbles and Bimbles are brilliant - we have had ds in them since 3 months (too wussy to try before then, but now devoted to them!) and they have done a great job, and so little fuss as no liner required. BTW Evansmum I did the same thing with the wraps; took a few days for me to cotton on and loosen the poppers!

evansmummy Sun 20-Mar-05 03:52:39

Oh no it"s going really badly. We keep getting leaks with the ME, and lo cries every time I put a loth on him. I think it's cos he can't wiggle his legs around as much. I'm starting to lose motivation...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now