Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cloth Nappies - Why?

(46 Posts)
flamesparrow Wed 09-Mar-05 08:47:59

To all of you using cloth - why did you decide to use them? Cost, enviroment, something else?

I'm intrigued about everyone else's reasons!

Enid Wed 09-Mar-05 08:50:08

I used them for dd2 for the first 8 months or so.

Environment was the primary factor, then when I started they just looked so cute that I carried on!

Not sure I would use them again if I had number three though - there is such a thing as TOO much work.

flamesparrow Wed 09-Mar-05 08:50:58

For me - I didn't like the little granules on DD's bum from the gel in the nappies. I felt that I didn't know what chemicals they put in the gel, and I didn't like the thought of it all being against her.

I wasn't landfill motivated, or even cost (although I love that now) - and it wasn't until I switched I found out about lack of poo leaking in cloth!!!

B was 6 months when I changed, and plan on doing it from much earlier next time!

xxxx

katzguk Wed 09-Mar-05 09:05:41

i switched because of cost really plus wanted to do 'my earthmother' bit!! agree with Enid that they do look so cute crawling round in just a real nappy!

Going to use again with bump but probably won't start until 3months ish, looking at getting some AIO's this time, for ease and speed.

throckenholt Wed 09-Mar-05 09:08:08

um cost, environment, because it isn't difficult, because I hate the rubbish bag filling up with used disposables, so that I don't have to keep buying disposables.

purpleturtle Wed 09-Mar-05 09:08:26

environment, cuteness and cost - the whole combo

catgirl Wed 09-Mar-05 09:16:19

agree with everything throckenholt said!

tarantula Wed 09-Mar-05 09:17:17

Loads of reasons. The thought o fall those chemicals on dds skin wa s big one an cosst was another. And then saw how cute they were too and fell in love.

flamesparrow Wed 09-Mar-05 09:17:24

I love that cuteness is a factor! I'd forgotten that that was part of what moved me too!!!

misdee Wed 09-Mar-05 09:20:41

hate the chemical smell of disposables, cant easily buy dispoables in dd2 size (5+,6), the cost of dispoables is too much.

love the look and feel of cloth. love the designs, patterns colours etc. lvoe the fact it saves me money inb the long run. i dont have to put out bin bags which stink of nappies/nappies sacks. i lvoe the idea that i know what is against my dd's skin, and if they have a bad reaction all i need to do is switch soap powder.

oh and its enviromentally friendlier as well.

PinkWebby Wed 09-Mar-05 09:24:21

I used them for the first 3 months, as I was doing my earth mother bit and also saving money, but at the end of the day it was so much work and they leaked as well. so I gave up, and I havent looked back.

throckenholt Wed 09-Mar-05 09:27:54

I think any nappy (or wrap) - disposable or reusable - are prone to leak if you don't get a good fit. We got leaks with some disposables, and with kushie all in ones, but not with popolini or motherease.

Depends on the shape of your baby.

eidsvold Wed 09-Mar-05 10:55:23

I have two in nappies and in the hot weather here and the amount of fluid they have - even dd1 ( 2 1/2) uses more than she used to..... much cheaper and easier to do cloth - even put dd2 back into cloth. When it was just her - disposables were easier and more convenient. Now I am washing etc for one - just as easy to throw hers in too.

Cooperoo Wed 09-Mar-05 11:14:25

Lack of bf poo leaks, smell of disposables (yuk!), feel good factor seeing those nappies on the line not in a huge smelly sack in my bin, cuteness factor, and as someone else said because it is not that much more work! Plus financial savings esp as I will have two in the same nappies. I really enjoyed nappy chat with people on line as well when we were first starting out and I hadn't even found mumsnet then. Such a friendly helpful bunch.

alux Wed 09-Mar-05 11:25:09

I intend to use nappies because:

I can't bear to see my rubbish output double due to disposables. I already feel bad about the amt I already throw out.

I am horrified at the amt of chemicals and materials make up a single disposable and all that then goes next to baby's skin.

DH had horrible eczema as a child and eliminating any possible causes as early as possible.

I want to save money and should I have a second, I will double my savings and will already know what to do.

My bum only knew reusables and I yearn to share that with I can with baby.

I remember my mum laundering my youngest brother's and with a washing machine and a bit of organisation, it really isn't more work.

Then there is the cute factor..... aaaahhhh!

babylily Wed 09-Mar-05 11:30:51

I use bambino mio because I'm pure Scottish and hate to waste money! I do preach at disposable- using friends about the environmental grounds, only because I can feel so smug about it(they all know that I'm really just tight!)
That said, cloth nappies are great - the only time my dd has had nappy rash was when we went abroad for a few days and used disposables instead.

The cloth nappies do look lovely hanging on the washing line on a sunny day.

piffle Wed 09-Mar-05 11:39:25

environmental reasons, hygiene, chemicals against darling little bottom
Washing yeah whatever...

softymom Wed 09-Mar-05 11:56:31

We lived in a rented flat when we had dd and were only allowed to take the rubbish out once a week so didn't want stinky nappies filling up flat.

Plus there was a chance dh and I would both be out of work for a bit, so no worries finding cash for nappies during this period (and bf, so no feeding costs either!) - spoke to a nanny the other day whose employer spends £50 per week on nappies

Plus dd always gets awful nappy rash whenever we use disposables and the brands I picked leaked too!

Finally - get to feel mighty smug about the environment for practically no effort at all

Laura032004 Wed 09-Mar-05 12:44:17

Just about the same as all of the others really - environment, cost, cuteness, better for the baby... When somebody is shocked that we use cloth, I'd find it harder to find reasons not to use them.

juuule Wed 09-Mar-05 13:21:28

Originally I opted for cloth for cost reasons. I knew I wanted more children and it seemed really silly to be paying out every week for disposables.
However, as I thought more about it I realised the health benefits for my babies. No chemicals next to thin baby skin to be absorbed, possibly causing my child problems now and later in life.
After looking into the environmental problems disposables can cause (theyre not really disposable, you know) the more I found out and am still finding out I don't know how they are legal.
As for hard work - I'm still trying very hard to understand how 1 or 2 extra washes a week is hard work. A little bit extra work maybe, but HARD work I can't see that. I'm not one for making work for myself if I don't have to. 9 children do that for me.
And agree with the others - cloth nappies look so much nicer.

pixiefish Wed 09-Mar-05 13:42:42

Environment. Also I don't like having chemicals next to her.

MrsDoolittle Wed 09-Mar-05 13:56:11

Because they are soooo cute!!

Fennel Fri 11-Mar-05 16:58:50

decided just for the environmental reasons. cost is a nice bonus.

now I have a 3rd baby in the same nappies I can be unbelieveably smug which is also enjoyable

roosmum Tue 15-Mar-05 10:43:32

no 1 for me was the thought of chemicals next to ds's tiny bot - environment, cost, cuteness are great bonuses though!

btw, anyone using bambino mio without problems?? i am, but only seem to read bad things about them ... bought the kit when pg without knowing that much abt washables & regretted it after doing more research & finding out abt other brands - but had to make them work - & find they do

Beansmum Tue 15-Mar-05 10:49:56

I've just switched ds to cloth nappies at 9 months, I tell people it's because he has been getting eczema and I want to try and get rid of any horrible chemicals that might be in the disposible nappies, but really it's because the nappies come in different colours and are really cute. ds has blue nappies and a couple of orange ones and really cool polka dot wraps. Also the cost and the environment, but cuteness was definitely the deciding factor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now