Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DS fine at home, but has accidents at nursery - they are now suggesting he goes in pullups

(6 Posts)
cuttingmeownthroatdibblaaaargh Fri 24-Oct-08 19:32:13

Ds is 2.5, and decided to use the potty/toilet soon after he was 2. May/June/July/early August dry and pretty clean at home and nursery. Continues to be dry and pretty reliably clean (poo is a bit less good, but will be dry all day even out and about) at home, but is now having up to 2 poo and 2 wee accidents a day at nursery. (New) room leader told me today that we need a plan to deal with this - she suggested pullups. Now, knowing DS this won't help one bit - he will know that they are nappies. She also suggested going back to nappies for a bit - again, I don't see what this will achieve for him as its not that he can't, just that at nursery he is engrossed in playing and if you just ask him if he needs a wee, he's not the type to think 'oh yes and trot off'. He does go to the toilet independantly when he is there without prompting, and can pull his pants/trousers up and down.

I have done him a sticker chart to start with over the weekend (superspecial gold star for poo in the loo), but wondered whether anyone had any good ideas on how to work with them

andyrobo237 Fri 24-Oct-08 21:52:54

He probably gets too involved with things at nursery and forgets to go to the loo until it is too late. It is a common problem with kids in school nurseries who have been dry for months. It takes some prompting from the staff to remind them to go to the loo every half hour or so, or take them to the loo regularly.

Definately agree that going back to nappies is a backwards step, as he has shown that he can go to the loo reliably at home.

Not sure what to suggest, but the must encounter this problem at some point as the kids get to three, as most are potty trained by that age.

herbietea Fri 24-Oct-08 21:56:35

Message withdrawn

nannyL Fri 24-Oct-08 23:22:20

I completely agree that nappies is not the answer

i think the nursray staff want him in nappies for THEIR convienance, NOT to help your son angry
if they take him to the loo regularly rather than letting a 2 year old choose to leave it too late im sure it will help alot

makes me really cross when nursarys do this type of thing hmm

hunkermunker Fri 24-Oct-08 23:25:32

They don't need to be asking him if he needs the loo, they need to be taking him.

cuttingmeownthroatdibblaaaargh Sun 26-Oct-08 11:46:43

Thanks - I wondered if I was being a bit unreasonable as I don't particularly like this new woman, and the old room leader said it was quite common to go through this stage and you just had to keep going.

I'm going to ask them to take him to the toilet (he much prefers this to the potty) before snack, lunch, after nap, before tea and at 5. As I was out all day with him yesterday and he only had a poo accident (he was playing around a steam train and when he told me he needed to go we were rather a long way from the toilets), I do think its not so much his problem as theirs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now