Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Erm - should I not be washing nappies along with other washing?

(17 Posts)
Anglepoise Fri 24-Oct-08 08:45:32

blush

I've just been slinging DD's nappies in with whatever else is in the machine (I'm sure I read somewhere that this was fine). Now I've read that I shouldn't be doing that at all. I don't rinse poop off the nappy first either. Am I a slummy mummy? Or can I get away with this until she's weaned? (Everything seems to be coming out fine so far!)

cmotdibbler Fri 24-Oct-08 08:57:05

When it was milk poeey nappies, I washed the nappies with white vests, muslins, towels etc. After weaning, I used flushable liners, so continued like this unless they were grim when I would rinse them. Now DS uses the toilet, the wet night nappies just go in with the regular washing

Anglepoise Fri 24-Oct-08 09:22:41

Cheers - I will carry on then!

FullMoonHowler Fri 24-Oct-08 09:57:00

I just do a cold rinse first and then add the rest of the washing unless the machine is already full with nappies! and unless the fleece liners are really full, they just go in as they are without rinsing them (but baby's only 7wk, so poo's very liquidy...)

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Fri 24-Oct-08 10:06:51

Agree you should really do a cold rinse of the nappies first.

And I take it you don't use fabric conditioner as it will stop them absorbing properly.

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Fri 24-Oct-08 10:13:56

Yes I did it with DS's nappies for the first 3 months - if they were really pooey or incredibly wet I did a rinse first. I still do it now with DD2s or DS' not too wet nappies if I need some clothes washed but don't have a full load.

Where did you read you shouldn't be doing that? There seems to be a lot of odd nappy washing advice about atm - I think it has something to do with the new report being released.

Anglepoise Fri 24-Oct-08 10:54:09

Oh dear - I never do rinses (far too paranoid about using too much water or electricity - don't do very hot washes either blush).

No fabric conditioner

BBM I think I read a post suggesting it on here when I was idly browsing yesterday, then had a look on the Nappylady's website (which says the complete opposite, so that was sleep deprivation kicking in! blush), then tried to do a search on here and that seemed to be the gist, but I couldn't really work out what to search under.

I'll continue my skanky ways whild DD's poo remains unscary but do an occasional rinse/hot wash and hope using reusables offsets my eco-guilt!

IdrisTheDragon Fri 24-Oct-08 10:55:49

I never did rinses and always put the nappies in with whatever else there was. And all was well smile.

Cheesesarnie Fri 24-Oct-08 11:03:40

your doing fine.i only rinsed the real poopy ones.just shove it all in.

im a slummy mummy toogrin

Anglepoise Fri 24-Oct-08 11:04:58

grin

returnofrusmummy Fri 24-Oct-08 13:42:21

Is it necessary to wash at 60????

This limits what else i can put in with them.

returnofrusmummy Fri 24-Oct-08 13:42:27

Is it necessary to wash at 60????

This limits what else i can put in with them.

Anglepoise Fri 24-Oct-08 14:00:48

Nappylady says not necessarily

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Fri 24-Oct-08 14:04:15

I never did a cold rinse first and they all went in with everything until DS was weaned.

Then the poo gets scary! wink

ilovemyghds Fri 24-Oct-08 14:10:52

I usually do mine separately, but only because I have 2 in nappies and so the (2) buckets fill up quickly. Though if I am washing clothes and there is a bit of room left in the machine I throw in a few nappies as well. I don't rinse the poo from the nappies of my 3 month old, but have paper liners on my toddlers nappies. Sounds like you are doing fine!grin

Cheesesarnie Fri 24-Oct-08 22:20:48

no i did mine at 40

ravenAK Fri 24-Oct-08 22:28:17

I sluice off poo (dd1 is 2, dd2 is 8 months) then chuck in the 30 wash with whatever else is going - unless I have a load of towels &/or bedding, when it's 60.

No problems so far. In fact, nappies seem to come out cleaner than dd2's tops, which usually have her dinner down them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now