Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

OMG! <stunned> @ DH's boss!!! Give me GOOD articles etc (pref recent) on Cloth Nappies!!

(19 Posts)

He printed out an article in the Times (today apparently??) about how terrible cloth is for the planet, carbon foot print etc, and PUT IT ON DH's DESK!!!!! shock

How f*cking rude is that?!?!?!

I am fuming, and want a load of RECENT good articles.

FFS they just redid the study and it came up positive for cloth.

I am sooooooooooooooo angry.

He knows I sell nappies, DH tried to talk to him about them when his baby was born (in a nice way, DH couldn't be pushy if his life depended on it).

ARGH! angry

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Wed 22-Oct-08 10:56:21

Print out the full report (without the bizarre Times take on it) and ask DH to put it on his desk. If nothing else it will keep his boss busy for an hour or so - think it is 32 pages long (obviously the reporter from The Times couldn't be bothered to read the report properly - think she had already made her mind up hmm).

Times article

actual report

The link to the report is a bit strange - you'll probably find it takes you to a search page. If so type in the ISBN below into the ISBN box (strangely enough) on the search page

ISBN 978-1-84432-927-4

If that doesn't work try these

Science Project Number:
SC010018
Product Code:
SCHO0808BOIR-E-P

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Wed 22-Oct-08 11:00:40

another link to the full report here - seems to be working more reliably

C&P'd our press release for you...

Washable Nappies Are Best for the Environment

Real nappies are up to 40% better for the environment than disposables; a new report from the government has stated today.

The key finding of the report shows that the environmental benefits are achieved by following simple washing guidelines like:

· avoiding tumble drying nappies,

· using A-rated appliances and

· washing in full loads at no more than 60 degrees

These are all measures recommended by nappy manufacturers and commonly used by parents .

The report highlights that unlike disposables, washable nappies put parents in control of the impact they have on the environment.

Parents using real nappies will also be financially better off. It has long been known that real nappies save parents hundreds of pounds and now this advice on washing methods, which are supported and promoted by the Real Nappy Campaign, will help reduce fuel bills too. The savings in costs and for the environment are even better when real nappies are used on a second child as many families do.

Laura Smith, mum to 8 month old Conner said:

“We already wash all the family laundry at lower temperatures and don’t use a tumble drier. With increasing energy bills I think more people are opting for energy efficient washing options and we’re delighted that this report backs up our decision to use washable nappies.”

An additional concern caused by disposable nappy use, is the pressure on UK landfill sites from the disposal of 690,000 tonnes of nappy waste each year; most of which are landfilled. This issue is not covered by the newly published report yet is still a major concern for consumers and only confirms the environmental benefits of using washable nappies.

Jon Rolls of the Real Nappy Campaign stated:

“The findings of this report will confirm what many real nappy users already felt to be true; they will also alleviate the confusion caused by the earlier Environment Agency report. The clear message to parents is that by using washable nappies sensibly they are opting for the most environmentally friendly nappy option, and saving themselves money. Washable nappies in all shapes, sizes and designs are readily available through independent, online and high street retailers”

Jon Rolls added:

The Real Nappy Campaign clearly has an important ongoing role in continuing the promotion of washable nappies, as well as providing information on how to ensure their environmental impact is minimised. We recognise that real nappy users occasionally find it convenient to use disposable nappies too and we are pleased to see that disposable manufacturers recognise the need to improve the environmental impact of their products. Given the outcome of this report we look forward to constructive dialogue with the disposable industry about how we can help to further reduce the impact of disposables.

Bluebutterfly Wed 22-Oct-08 11:03:18

EVEN if (and that is a big if) washable nappies were not better for the environment, they are better for babies. Babies do not have chemicals and plastic next to their skin. They have cotton or other natural fibres next to the skin which allow skin to breath properly.

badkitty Wed 22-Oct-08 11:36:34

OMG - my Mum came out with this on the phone to me yesterday and I couldn't understand where she got it from (given that the only things I had read about new report said that it supported reusable nappies). What on earth is the writer on about inventing some government "cover up" -it is such a load of toss!!! "Extreme" washing options, honestly.

I don't understand this desperation that some people have (eg the writer, some of the people commenting on the article, my mum...) have to try to prove that reusables are worse for the environment - what is their problem?

CatWithKittens Wed 22-Oct-08 11:58:18

I have just looked at the report and it is interesting to see how much difference using the same nappies for other children makes - which any reusable mum does if they have more than one and they probably recycle to others even if they do not.
I agree with Bluebutterfly that comfort for the children concerned must be very different as between the two systems. When we were on holiday last year we tried disposables on DS1, who still has nappies at night and was then 4 1/2, but he made it very clear that they are hot and sweaty and that the plastic bits next to his skin made him itch. It would be very interesting to know what other people would say if they could remember being in nappies - on DS1's evidence Terries would beat disposables though I do know, before anybody tells me, that I may be in danger of doing what so many in this debate do, generalising from the particular.

I like the idea of making him read the full report!

Why did the times read the report and print a complete crap article??

mabanana Wed 22-Oct-08 13:27:37

well, yes, I do think it is ridiculous generalise about how babies react disposables. None of my children in disposables have ever had nappy rash or itched or were uncomfortable, unlike the little boy ds nanny-shared with, who wore cloth nappies and was eaten alive with nappy rash until he was bleeding. He wore disposable pull ups until he was 5/6 and never found them at all uncomfortable.

"Based on the scenarios assessed, individual users of shaped nappies have the
potential to improve the impact profile of nappy use per child by some 200kg over the
two and a half years."

As in BETTER than disposables

SongbirdScreamsInTheDeadOfNite Wed 22-Oct-08 13:33:00

Mmn, sounds like he's made his mind up too! He put the article there to defend himself.

There was nothing to defend though.

Moron.

(Him, not you)

SongbirdScreamsInTheDeadOfNite Thu 23-Oct-08 09:06:06

Thanks for the clarification there grin. He may have thought you were pressuring him into using cloth nappies hmm and felt the need to defend himself.

Totally agree - moron! (him, not you! wink)

Bluebutterfly Thu 23-Oct-08 10:16:29

My point was sort of about comfort but it was also about health actually. One of the chemicals found in many disposable (in the gel that helps the nappy absorb liquid) is known to disrupt sex hormones, and another chemical also used for absorbancy in nappies has been linked to toxic shock syndrome when it was used in tampons (was evidently banned from use in tampons in the 80s).
article here

I have also read somewhere (but currently can't find a link) that there is a theory that the chemicals in disposables may be a cause of the decline in male fertility in the west in the last few decades.

So, I would prefer to use cloth (even if it does sometimes cause more discomfort - they do need to be changed more regularly than disposables because they don't have absorbancy gels in them and if you don't adhere to this your baby may have more nappy rash, however my ds was in them for 2 years and had only 2 or 3 incidences of nappy rash in that time) until there is proof that they do not have an adverse affect on health.

loler Thu 23-Oct-08 10:35:43

I picked up a leaflet in the GPs that said to change to cloth to avoid nappy rash. Was an NHS leaflet.

FullMoonHowler Thu 23-Oct-08 10:52:37

even taking the environmental issue out of the argument, it's people's choice too.

DS1 was very prone to nappy rash (aways been in disposables), tried every cream and in the end tried reusables. By that time he was about 18mo, so only bought a handful. We used reusables every time he got nappy rash and the rash got better very quickly, every time, (so not coincidental as we tried with both types) so I wouldn't say that reusables cause nappy rash.

Bramshott Thu 23-Oct-08 11:05:21

Oh Christ, I have had to post a comment on that Times article! Rarely have I read such flawed, prejudiced and all-round crap journalism outside the tabloids!! angry

AxisofEvil Thu 23-Oct-08 11:11:11

Flamethrower - whilst I can quite understand your indignation ( and your Dh's boss was being rude) what are you intending to do with the articles you find? Because whilst handing them over to the boss would be (briefly) satisfying I would wonder whether you would be better to rise above it?

CatWithKittens Fri 24-Oct-08 00:30:18

Bramshott - I thought The Times was a tabloid these days, Rupert Murdoch having changed its size to match its content.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now