Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

help! horrid nappy rash and we are in Japan with no cream...

(11 Posts)
elportodelgato Wed 22-Oct-08 02:49:17

I am posting this on a few threads to see if anyone can help.
We‘re on hols in Japan with our LO (4 months) and she has the worst nappy rash. I have managed to leave the Bepanthen at home so we are using something an American friend has given us called Dispatin (?) or something similar but it is having no effect. Can anyone recommend a brand name of nappy cream which I could find in a chemist in Japan?? Also on a previous occasion I have used Canesten which has worked wonderfully - does anyone know if this is available over the counter in Japan? or something similar?
Thanks so much for any advice - she looks so uncomfortable and I am feeling very "bad mummy" and a long way from home

Celery Wed 22-Oct-08 06:48:53

I have heard raw egg white really does work.

cheekysealion Wed 22-Oct-08 06:56:07

is there sudocream there?

try and leave nappy off as much as you can to air and dry the skin

SofiaAmes Wed 22-Oct-08 06:59:00

The active ingredient in canesten (chlotrimazole) is just the same as what's in athlete's foot cream. You may have more luck looking for the latter in japan.

spooka Wed 22-Oct-08 07:00:52

JUst a word of warning about raw egg white - because your baby is only 4 months it isn't recommended to use egg based products or egg on skin in case it causes an allergic reaction.

superloopy Wed 22-Oct-08 07:13:41

I was once caught out with no nappy cream and my DD got a sore red bottom.

I used my Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream and it worked a treat... smile

NotQuiteCockney Wed 22-Oct-08 07:25:11

I'd just use vaseline or similar.

And yes, as much naked time as possible.

Oh - the best nappy cream I ever had was from Kiehl's, and they're opening a branch in Tokyo.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 22-Oct-08 07:26:26

Oh bugger, that says it's opening November 6 - don't know if that's this year or last year.

Queenbebe Wed 22-Oct-08 09:48:22

I agree with NotQuiteCockney. You should be able to get vaseline in Japan, and a liberal application of it to DDs bottom at each nappy change should do the trick.

AmIWhatAndWhy Wed 22-Oct-08 11:38:44

I posted this on your other thread, but in case you do'n't see it here it is again.

Do you use disposables?

There is a brand of nappy called Nepia Doremi , my cousin lives in Tokyo and swears by them. They are infused with something, all natural, that treats nappy rash and kills any yeast that may be causing it.

elportodelgato Thu 23-Oct-08 07:24:49

wow! thank you so much ladies of mumsnet! yesterday I managed to explain what was wrong to a helpful pharmacist who gave me some cream but it`s not doing much yet so I will definitely take up your suggestions if it doesn`t improve in the next day or so. I have some vaseline with me and will try out the Nepia Doremi nappies too - thanks AIWAW for that suggestion

Thanks so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now