Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

PJs stink of wee every morning where nappy is so full, any suggestions?

(27 Posts)
luckymummy74 Sun 19-Oct-08 16:31:37

My DD1 is 2.5 yrs old, we very successfully and very quickly toilet trained her in July this year, she 'got it' really quickly, and has had no accidents since then.

Anyway, she still wears a nappy at night, but in the morning it's so full of wee, her vest and PJs stink of wee. Fresh PJs every night (as if I don't have enough washing) hmm!

She goes to bed at 6:45pm and wakes around 7:30-8am, so that nappy is on a long time.

I tried buying bigger nappies, which would be the obvious solution, but the size 6 nappies are enormous and she isn't that big for her age. She still leaked in them anyway.

Some friends have suggested leaving the nappy off shock but i's so full of wee, she would be either wetting the bed or having very disturbed sleep having to get up to wee all the time (she also shares a room with her 6 month old sister).

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

Thanks

luckymummy74 Sun 19-Oct-08 16:32:38

I should also mention that she naps for 1-2 hrs a day and often just wears pants, although wet the bed during a nap this week where she was both very tired from playzone, and had drunk a lot just before nap.

Flamesparrow Sun 19-Oct-08 16:32:48

I'd change it before you go to bed - she should sleep through it (don't wipe her, just whip one off and put the next one on)

LadyOfRoffle Sun 19-Oct-08 16:32:50

Change nappy at 11 ish?

luckymummy74 Sun 19-Oct-08 16:39:04

Hmm, I did try that for a bit, it felt a bit cruel to wake her and do it, although it didn't bother her. However, the nappy was still very full and had leaked in the morning. I think it's cos it's full it gets heavy and it pulls down, so it ends up being quite low around her 'bikini line' (for want of a better word!). It's along the top at the front that it leaks, not out of the sides.

Do you think I should try toilet training at night? What age is 'normal' to do this?

Sidge Sun 19-Oct-08 16:43:06

You could try leaving her nappy off at night - at about this age we tried it with DD1. She was having sopping nappies but we bit the bullet, left her nappy off, and only had one or two wet beds. We left a potty next to her bed and she started waking herself up and sitting on the potty in the night.

I think my DD weed in her nappy because she could IYKWIM. Once the nappy was off she knew she had to get up and use the potty.

If you find she swamps the bed and doesn't even wake then she isn't ready, so go back to nappies and maybe try the next size up in a different brand.

oiwhatsoccurring Sun 19-Oct-08 16:43:20

Why don't you stop all drinks after 5 and then if she has a bottle to go to sleep let her have it. I have had to do this with my dd

bubblagirl Sun 19-Oct-08 17:03:48

i always change my ds nappy when i go to bed he doesnt wake at all and keeps it from filling up to that extent

he does have drinks in bed but seems to be getting dryer nappies now anyway so not having to change

to be honest ive always done this anyway and i use 1 size bigger for night so where he would be size 5 i use 6 for night nappies

luckymummy74 Sun 19-Oct-08 19:03:45

Thanks everyone.

She has dinner about 5pm and usually a big cup of water/juice at that time. She only tends to drink with meals, despite me trying to get her to drink other times. She was OK in summer, but now, it's as if she only relates it to eating, IYSWIM. She then has a big cup of milk before bed, at 6:30pm, so yes, she has a lot of fuid on board!

Interesting what you say sidge as a friend had similar experience.....Just one question though, how do they find the potty in the dark?! DD has used the toilet for months now, I wonder if I just tell her to tell me thru the monitor that she needs a wee (she does if she needs a poo in the evening) and I just take her to the loo. (I have the monitor for the baby BTW!!)

They sleep in a dark room, no night light. She actually prefers to sleep in the not quite pitch black....IYSWIM!

She is in size 5 for night. I switched from Tescos own to pampers but no difference and the size 6 were massive on her, cam up to her nipples almost!!

Sidge Sun 19-Oct-08 19:19:41

We had a nightlight, one of those glow types so very dim (mine all sleep in pitch black too!) and we always put the potty in the same place so she knew where it was.

I wouldn't worry if the nappy comes up to her nipples overnight, the larger ones are more absorbent and as she won't be active in it, it doesn't matter if it's too big.

Restricting fluids before bedtime is only advised for older children who are wetting in the night, so you don't need to worry too much about restricting fluids. It's a good idea to keep a child well hydrated during the day, then gently taper down fluids in the hour before bedtime, you don't have to stop completely. At this age they still make lots of wee overnight (they often don't make enough of the hormone that reduces wee production yet) so if she still wees gallons then don't panic about keeping her in nappies for a bit longer.

luckymummy74 Sun 19-Oct-08 21:34:47

sidge thanks, that's good advice. I didn't know about this hormone thing?!

Sidge Mon 20-Oct-08 20:22:19

The hormone is vasopressin and children start producing it from about 2 or 3, but many don't produce it until they are older. Vasopressin reduces urine production overnight, and until the child makes enough vasopressin then they will make the same amount of wee overnight that they make in the day.

So until the vasopressin is being made there will be so much wee that the child really can't hold it for a full night, and will either wee in their sleep or wake as they are weeing.

luckymummy74 Tue 21-Oct-08 10:07:31

Thanks Sidge

returnofrusmummy Tue 21-Oct-08 11:35:23

what nappies you using?

returnofrusmummy Tue 21-Oct-08 11:36:05

Try real nappies for night time (cotton) as chemicals in disposables make nappies smelly also.

Washersaurus Tue 21-Oct-08 11:39:15

Try lidl size 6 pull up nappies. Reduce drinks before bed and make sure she goes to toilet before going to sleep and as soon as she wakes up

Washersaurus Tue 21-Oct-08 11:40:17

I usually use washables btw but the lidl nappies are my emergency choice grin

Leoloopydoo Tue 21-Oct-08 11:41:58

We have the same problem with ds1 and he is 3.8. I make sure the last thing he does is pee before he gets into bed. when I go to bed I check his nappy, if its wet I change it. We think mostly he pees when he first wakes so we are getting him to the toilet as quickly as possible in the morning.

luckymummy74 Tue 21-Oct-08 14:35:31

do you mean lidl as in the shop lidl ? (sorry, don't mean to sound so dense).

I might try pull ups actually, we have some a friend gave me but never used them when potty training her. It seems to be the fact that the nappy slips down on her waist, so by the time she wakes up it hangs really low.

I wish I'd thought of washable nappies sooner...what a good idea for night time. I'm afraid I couldn't have coped with all that washing for full time nappies but if she's only wearing one a day, I might investigate ebay for some second hand ones.

As soon as she wakes up (gets up that is) her nappy comes off.

luckymummy74 Tue 21-Oct-08 14:36:18

can anyone recommend which cotton/real nappies to use?

Washersaurus Tue 21-Oct-08 21:41:13

I do mean Lidl the shop - their pull up nappies have been the most reliable disposable ones I have tried for night times and are only £3.50 for 18/20 (depending on size).

DS1 is a really heavy wetter and sometimes we struggle to cope with boosting his night nappy as he just gets soaked right through by morning.

We usually use a tots bots size 3 boosted with 2 microfibre boosters in a fleece wrap on both DS1 (3) and DS2 (14mo) - It is a bit of knack getting the nappy and boosting right; it does take practice.

I should also say that it is a bit of pain taking it all off him again when DS1 decides he needs the toilet after we have got him ready for bed - so the pull ups are definitely easier in that sense!

Is it just the smell that bothers you or is your DD actually damp in the morning? If it is the smell of urine, then you probably won't like washable nappies to begin with because they usually honk in the morning grin

onepieceoflollipop Tue 21-Oct-08 21:45:12

luckymummy I generally use washables but when dd1 was still wet at night I changed to disposables. (rather than just having one nappy each 24 hours to wash) However my top tip would be to use a disposable but put a wrap over the top. I favour the motherease airflow ones. It really helped with the slightly whiffy pj problem.

Don't buy the wraps new if you like this idea (unless you want to) I bet if you look on the for sale boards someone will be selling some for a bargain rate. (not me, am using mine for dd2)

luckymummy74 Wed 22-Oct-08 10:27:05

OK onepieceoflollipop the wrap idea sounds good.

What do I search for...Motherease airflow wrap??

She is not usually wet, maybe just a bit damp. It is really just the smell, but I suppose washing PJs everynight is no different to then washing a nappy every night, IYSWIM.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 22-Oct-08 22:50:59

luckymummy I just got back from work and saw your post - I popped on the the nappy section on the For Sale board but then saw you had managed to find that out.

A wrap can be washed with anything on 60 or 40 and will dry really quickly.

I also used this trick on a younger baby (with explosive b/f poos - sorry if tmi). The back up of a wrap and the convenience of a disposable when I needed it. (e.g on holiday or whatever)

mybabywakesupsinging Thu 23-Oct-08 00:37:59

we put ds1 in cloth at night for similar reasons. He did one wee in them, then miraculously became dry at night thereafter. I changed him to pants after 2 dry weeks..he wasn't dry in the day for months afterwards...
So very expensive (£13 for one night's use), but overall probably money well spent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now