Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

hard, stiff, sandpaper-like cloth nappies in soft water area

(5 Posts)
carolynd Fri 17-Oct-08 22:23:46

I've recently purchased some swaddlebees one size organic cotton velour nappies. I live in a soft water area (Glasgow). I wash them with a fraction of the recommended for normal load non-bio detergent then line dry them or use an airer. I try not to use a tumble dryer for environmental reasons (though when I have on occasion they are much softer) . The problem is that they are really, really hard, stiff and rough - like sandpaper and not nice at all to put on my ds. Does anyone have any tips or bright ideas about making them softer without using fabric conditioner??

rachelinscotland Fri 17-Oct-08 23:15:09

If you put them in the tumble dryer for about 10 minutes first and then line dry them, you'll get a lot better results. The dryer fluffs them up and makes a big difference. My Little Lamb nappies go awful stiff and scratchy if I just line dry them, but the quick tumble is great. Hope this helps.

combustiblelemon Fri 17-Oct-08 23:20:19

Can't you use a little white vinegar in the softener draw?

combustiblelemon Fri 17-Oct-08 23:23:43

Yes, you can.

Next time I'll check first rather than answering a question with a question.

carolynd Fri 24-Oct-08 21:14:39

thanks for that

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: