Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

HELP! Trying to help 5yo DD dry at night

(5 Posts)
EmmyLou Fri 17-Oct-08 16:17:39

She's the youngest of 3 so Lord knows I've been through this all before. DD3 decided she wanted not to wear pull-ups at night two weeks ago after a friend came round for tea and she realised that this friend didn't wear them (is this what they talk about whilst playing with Sylvanians???)so I thought, fair play, good motivation, let's have a go.She's never had a dry pull-up in the morning though.

We've had a wet bed at some point (or two) every night since - even with lifting her when we go to bed. It usually involves me having to put a wash load on in the middle of the night as somehow the duvet always gets involved, as well as the sheet protector thing. She's knackered, I'm knackered -

So, question is, how long would all of you out there give it before concluding that her body isn't ready for this and putting her back in pull ups to try again in 6 months or so?

FYI, DD1 dry at night after 3 weeks hit and miss 'accidents' by 3.6yo and DD2 not dry at night till 6.6yo - school nurse chatted to her after school at our house one evening and she was dry from that day on bar 2 or 3 accidents during the following month.

Sorry - a bit long!

EmmyLou Fri 17-Oct-08 17:15:01

Oh, BUMP!

WigWamBam Fri 17-Oct-08 18:14:08

When dd tried but wasn't ready, we only gave it a week - but that was because my daughter became distressed by wetting the bed. She wasn't dry at night until she was almost 7 - simply wasn't physically able to be, despite wanting desperately to be dry.

I'd put her back into nappies for a while if I were you and give it a bit longer. It's not something she can control like daytime weeing and if she's not ready, you're on a hiding to nothing.

Surfermum Fri 17-Oct-08 18:19:24

I agree, if she's not ready, she's not ready. I would put her back in pull ups.

I was told that it wasn't even considered a problem until the age of 7.

EmmyLou Fri 17-Oct-08 19:16:05

Thanks both - I think I'll talk to her, praise her for having a good go at it and gently suggest she wears pull ups again for a while until she tries again in a few months. I think she could do with a full night's sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now