Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

THIS HAS GONE ON TOO LONG

(14 Posts)
karly1824 Sun 06-Mar-05 20:32:43

Hi im new to this forum and so far have found it to be very helpful..i hope you dont mind but now im going to pick your brains..
Ok so my son is now coming up 26mths and ever since i can remember we have had problems with him moving his bowels in the early days we had situations where after a week he was so uncomfortable that i would insert a cotton bud to help him get started...it wasnt all hard it was as if he held it in and then a hard plug formed...anyway after months of going to the docter and been given lactoluse on a daily basic (sometimes as much as 6teaspoons a day)
we were referred to the hospital..they put him on both senna and lactoluse and sent us away now nearly 18months down the line after having to keep food diaries because the doctor thought i was feeding my son crap he is still on 20ml lactoluse and 10 senna a day our last visit to the hospital it was decided that we would try and reduce his medicine slowly but this isnt working as soo as i do this he stops going..if at his next appointment we havent reduced it they want him to go into hospital have an operation to take a part of his bowel and back passage away to analyse it now i wondered if anyone had a similar story or anyone can advise me on whether this could be food related ie is he intolerent to certain foods now i have no idea where to go for food intolerence advice but want to look at every possibility before i put him through an ordeal in hospital please help if you can as his next appointment date looms im getting so worried
many thanks
karly

Fran1 Sun 06-Mar-05 20:42:20

Sympathies for your poor son. Do you think this is physical? or psychological?

The only reason i ask is because i worked in a nursery and a couple of the boys developed probs that sound similar to your sons, and it seemed to be more psychological, fear of doing the poo for various reasons. The psychological problems themselves, then develop into a kind of habit that they can't break.

Is your son potty trained? If so have you explored the reasons why he doesn't go, such as ensuring he doesn't feel embarrassed/scared in any way.

Does he try to go at all?

I am sure your doctor can refer you to a dietician for food advice.

good luck

karly1824 Sun 06-Mar-05 21:01:42

hi thanks for your input....My son has always been like this from an very early age...like a few weeks because of various doctors and myself havin to look and sometimes insert things into his back passage he did have a time when he was concerned about nappy changes but only cos he thought that he was gonna get pulled about ...now he does go normally but only because he is on so much medication he does cry or aseem frightened of goin he says poo poo and knows when he goes he get praise ...we have only just started potty training and he hasnt yet pooed on his pot...even though i descibe his problem as constipation his poo isnt hard but obviously with all his medicine it wouldnt be..
karly

rogan2001 Sun 06-Mar-05 21:39:50

Hi,is your son trying to hold it in, my 3yr old holds on to his as long as possible and i find it so frustrating, he has been on 2, 5ml spoons of lactoluse for 6 months and that is the only way he can get something out, even tho he still tries to hold it in, without the lactoluse he won't go at all. It is proving very difficult to potty train with this problem.

starlover Tue 08-Mar-05 21:36:29

hi karly...

My cousin had a very similar thing. She was getting blocked up by hard bits of poo and everything was backing up behind it. The doctors kept giving her laxatives.
My Aunt had noticed that when she had less wheat and dairy it got better so mentioned it to the doctor who told her that food allergies were a figment of her imagination!!!!

Anyway, she paid privately to get Charlotte tested and found that she was indeed intolerant to gluten and dairy! She cut them out of her diet and within 2 weeks her bowel movements were absolutely fine!!!!

So, my advice would be... try and get your little boy tested for allergies (ask your GP first to see if you can get it done on NHS). Do this before you allow them to operate on him!
Also, try cutting out things like dairy, or gluten, and see if that helps at all.
As my aunt said, she doesn't give a toss if the doctor thinks it's all a figment of her imagination, because at the end of the day when Charlotte is on this diet her problem goes away and that's all that matters!

karly1824 Wed 09-Mar-05 13:52:47

HI starlover
thank you thanks the approach i plan to take b4 i let them start cutting pieces of him about...i have made an appointment to see his gp on monday and will take it from there...i may be completely wrong but he has obivously had milk from day 1 (i didnt breast feed) and it seems like it could be a dairy thing like i say im prob talkin rubbish but cant bear to put him through an operation until i know there is no other explanation...do you know how i would have to go about testing him for intolerences if they refuse to do it on the nhs??
and what does your cousin use in place of dairy products because of my son only being 2 he still has milk as a drink b4 bed and in the morning my health visitor has advised that at his age he should be getting a pint of milk a day!!!
thanks for your input and i will keep you updated
karly

karly1824 Wed 09-Mar-05 13:53:16

HI starlover
thank you this is the approach i plan to take b4 i let them start cutting pieces of him about...i have made an appointment to see his gp on monday and will take it from there...i may be completely wrong but he has obivously had milk from day 1 (i didnt breast feed) and it seems like it could be a dairy thing like i say im prob talkin rubbish but cant bear to put him through an operation until i know there is no other explanation...do you know how i would have to go about testing him for intolerences if they refuse to do it on the nhs??
and what does your cousin use in place of dairy products because of my son only being 2 he still has milk as a drink b4 bed and in the morning my health visitor has advised that at his age he should be getting a pint of milk a day!!!
thanks for your input and i will keep you updated
karly

starlover Wed 09-Mar-05 16:34:45

Hi karly...
I am not entirely sure how my aunt got my cousin tested, she just said she paid to get it done privately... maybe you could contact a local bupa hospital or something and ask if they do things like that.. or perhaps your GP could suggest somewhere.

Charlotte was 6 when she was finally diagnosed, so I think the dairy wasn't as much of an issue by then although she did LOVE yoghurts and cheese. She has found that she can cope with small amounts (ie a few cubes of cheese now and then), but too much makes her ill.
Obviously there are soya and rice milks, and dairy free yoghurts and things available. I would presume that calcium can be got from other things, as children brought up vegan can be perfectly healthy with no dairy products!

Dalia Fri 11-Mar-05 12:12:25

Hi Karly,
isn't 20ml lactoluse too much for 26mths old child? My daughter(4) has may be the same problem and i took her to an Gastroentherolog, he told us 10ml lactoluse and fibre rich diet.
But befor making a decision for operation you should make some medical examinations as tomogramm or MR(magnetic resonant)-I'm not shure how it's in English, but there are some examinatios befor an operation.
good luck
dalia

psychomum5 Fri 11-Mar-05 12:23:13

I think the allergy thought would be worth looking into. My DS2 had problems when he was tiny, and at the age of just three months we found it was allergy realated (and I was breastfeeding, so he then had to weened onto a hypoallergenic formula)

We then also discovered that wheat and gluten caused probs too, so everything like that got cut too, and now he goes to toilet properly and has no bad associations with going. He did get put onto lactulose for a while, but when we realised what was causing it, they were able to be stopped.

He is now 2.7yrs, and in pants full-time. The only thing that does cause a problem is that he just won't go to the toilet with out mummy taking him....and ONLY mummy!!

Hope things get sorted soon tho....really needs to. XXX

karly1824 Mon 11-Apr-05 21:30:56

hi all
sorry i havent updated you sooner. my baby doin good we saw his doctor and i was advised to try watereing his milk down and slowly reducing it which i was slighty mythed about WHY CANT HE BE TESTED FOR ALLERGIES well ok i thought i would try things seemed better after halfin his intake of milk within a week...then the whole family caught a tummy bug so i had to cut all the medicine out cos he was havin the runs....WELL HERE IS THE GOOD BIT he hasnt had any medicine since thats 16 YES 16 days i am still reducing his milk and am givin him multivitiins cos he still need goodness from milk but this time last month he was havin up to 30ml lactoluse and 20ml senna a day and now he doesnt have anything and the worst problem he has had is he didnt go for 3 days and then had a massive poo that was a slight struggle to get out but it wasnt hard at all....so i have kept another poo diary (believe me ive done a few) and ive kept a record of his milk intake and we are due to see the doctor on 18th this month NOW IM TELLIN HER I WANT HIM TESTED TO SEE EXACTLY WHAT HIS FOOD INTOLERANCES ARE...ill let you all know what happens
love from a much happier mum

starlover Tue 12-Apr-05 12:13:40

karly... has your doctor said anything about giving him soya milk or something as an alternative? that way you wouldn't have to worry so much about the vitamins...

karly1824 Wed 13-Apr-05 10:07:18

no im due to see her on monday...she seemed to think i was talkin rubbish when i went to her with the milk theory and i havent seen her since but i have kept a diary of my boys milk intake as ive reduced it and also noted down his poos so when i go back and show her this massive inprovement im hopin she will take me more seriously...i really want them to test him to find out if its just milk or other things too so i can control his diet as nessarcy...so ill wait see what she say on monday

starlover Wed 13-Apr-05 11:40:43

my aunt's doctor told her that food intolerances were a figment of her imagination!!! despite all the evidence, and the tests she had done privately!!!

crazy... i am so glad things have improved for you though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now