Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappi Nippa's vs Popper fastening

(17 Posts)
mrsy Wed 15-Oct-08 20:56:56

For either tots bots fluffles or bamboozles...

What experiences do people have of these?

Thanks smile

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Wed 15-Oct-08 21:00:47

Popper fluffles can be a PITA - hard to locate the poppers in amongst all the fluff (esp on a wriggler). Nippas work well on fluffles - lots for them to grab - and you get a far more adjustable fit.

Nippa bamboozles were discontinued because of numerous complaints about the nippas shredding the bamboo (a common problem with bamboo and nippas)

isaidboo Wed 15-Oct-08 21:06:40

Nippas aren't as fiddly as they look and you can get a perfect fit. Sometimes the poppers aren't quite in the right place for a snug fastening.

mrsy Wed 15-Oct-08 21:09:07

thanks bigbadmouse, did you use fluffles? i'm wondering wether or not to get size two as birth to potty, or wether to spend a bit more money and get the size one followed by size two? any ideas?

mrsy Wed 15-Oct-08 21:12:41

sorry, isaidboo, must have missed your post. thanks for the response.

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Wed 15-Oct-08 21:52:36

the size 2 is huge as a btp - that was what I bought to start with. I do love fluffles though and babyDS has one which we use regularly (it's a nippa fit)

I think you'd be quick shocked at the bulkiness of a size 2 fluffle on a newborn tbh - DS wasn;t a tiny baby (8lb 2) but the size 1 fluffle still looked pretty big on him. I'll pop a photo of DS in his size 1 nippa fluffle on my profile in a mo for you so you can see the fit smile.

You know they have been discontinued though? There are still loads about for sale but you may have to shop around to get exactly the number you want.....

mrsy Wed 15-Oct-08 22:24:00

Thanks bigbadmouse, we've got a size i fluffle and did think that size 2 would be mahoosive on a nb.

yeah, knew they'd been discontinued, but have found the ones we want at a fairly good price.

would you advise the full kit? a lot of people i've spoken to said the tots bots wrap is not so good, and the motherease is better. we've trialed a flexiwrap over a flexitot nappy, which looks good, but i think the fluffles packs will include the old style wraps...

Upwind Thu 16-Oct-08 06:03:15

<Hijack>

If nippas don't work with bamboo, would old fashioned nappy pins be better?

I've gone for bamboo flat nappies and was intending to nippa them.

jeanybeeny Thu 16-Oct-08 09:03:55

I've always used nappy pins. There's no messing about and you get the best fit imo.

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Thu 16-Oct-08 09:43:24

Yes, the older style wraps are definitely no way near as good as the newest ones so I think any extra money spent on the older wraps might not be worth it. Motherease are definitely the best wraps to go with - I have used the Rikki and the Airflow over my fluffes - I prefer the airflow in general though. That said, if you get the newest TB wraps then you might be fine. My only concern might be that the newest ungussetted wraps may not be as compatible with the fluffle as with the current TB range. The fluffle is quite bulky so the gusset really helped with containment - I guess the only way to find out is to try one and see, but I know for sure the airflow and rikki are bombproof over them.

Only go for a full kit if you are certain that you want to go with the nappy - that said, the resale value of fluffles is very atm so if you changed you mind you might not lose out too much.

Upwind - I nippa my bamboo terries and they are fine but I don't use them as my sole nappy - I don't know how they would fare after loads of nippa-ing. I know quite a few people who had the nippa bamboozles and started to pin them so you should be fine using pins if you eventually need to. There are lots of different types of bamboo fabric out there - some bamboo nappies can be nippa'd with out any problem, at all so it depends on your nappy brand. My squares are from peachy cheeks and aren't very durable. I think the babeco ones are far better (but be prepared for them to never be completely square)

RhinestoneCowghoul Thu 16-Oct-08 09:47:21

I have some babeco bamboo squares, have been using them with nippas for past couple of months - fine so far. And yes, they are not exactly square after washing but I have found it easy enough to compensate in the folding. Haven't used squares before and have been pleasantly surprised at how good they are, and dry really quickly. DH seems to prefer them to the shaped nappies we have!

Upwind Thu 16-Oct-08 09:56:02

Thanks BigBadMouse - I guess that if the nippas are not working well I can just buy some pins grin I bought the tots bots bamboo flats, guess I'll soon find out about the quality! They seem to be shedding a lot before even being used but I assume that is just like a new carpet....

mrsy - I am not speaking from experience, but anyone I've known who has gone for a full kit has regretted it. That is why I went for the flats and a few different nappies to try them out. I will buy more of the ones I like best once baby is born, but it will probably be a combination of a couple of types. A friend who bought the full bamboozle kit loves them but they take ages to dry so she has wound up buying some extra nappies for when she needs quicker drying times.

Upwind Thu 16-Oct-08 09:57:41

RhinestoneCowghoul, that is great to hear, I've been a bit concerned about my DH and the squares!

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Thu 16-Oct-08 10:00:15

Upwind - yes mine did that too when they were new. Have you prewashed them yet? If you do the prewash(es) in a net if you have one and on a gentle cycle then you might find they hold their shape better.

I could never commit to a full kit either but then I am a nappy tart grin.

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Thu 16-Oct-08 10:02:59

My DH like squares too. He is a design engineer by profession and seems to enjoy making up new folds hmm

Upwind Thu 16-Oct-08 10:09:26

Thanks for the tip! I've not washed them yet though I have bought a net so it can now be put to good use!

isaidboo Thu 16-Oct-08 14:07:49

lol at nappy tart - that is me to a tee - I have one of just about every sort!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now