Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Am I expecting too much?

(8 Posts)
Bombus Mon 13-Oct-08 16:13:57

Hi,
I started potty training my 2.5 yr old daughter two weeks ago and am wondering whether it is normal to still be having at least one accident a day at this stage. She will reluctantly use the loo when asked, and will often say she needs to go, but she also often does it in her pants. I've been trying to leave it to her to tell me when she needs to go, rather than forcing her to go on the loo at regular intervals. She doesn't like pooing on the loo but will do it if I catch her in time. I know it is early days, but am wondering how well she is doing relatively speaking. We've had two wees and a poo in her pants this afternoon and so am feeling a bit frustrated. Would be good to her others' thoughts.

Thanks!

bubblagirl Mon 13-Oct-08 16:37:44

i think a bit more patience is needed for yourslef i think it can take months and sounds like she is doing a good job

dont be cross if she has an accidant just sit straight onto toilet or potty and prasie for trying took my ds over ayr to actually get there properly and i still expect accidents every now and then there still so young

when at home leave no knickers or nappy as ths can be complicated for them to pull up and down and when in control of using potty freely add an item until content enough to pull up and down alone

when out and about it is a case of asking evry 30 mins or so eventually they gain bladder control but when there bodies are ready each child is different

my ds is 3.5 and still doesnt poo on toilet were working on that one now

i would say while at home wear nothing on bottom half have potties in eye view show where potty is and take every so often she sound slike she is doing a good job

ches Tue 14-Oct-08 03:45:27

I have found with DS 19 months that it's futile to ASK if he needs a wee/to go to the loo, because the answer is always "no." However, if you say "let's go wee wee" he usually saunters off to the loo or at least won't object to being taken.

dilbertina Tue 14-Oct-08 05:53:40

Or you could do what I did...give up and try again in 6 months or so. Then it was a doddle and barely any accidents at all... I'm a great believer in making things easy for myself!

seeker Tue 14-Oct-08 06:05:16

You can start at 2.5 and it takes 6 months, or you can start at 3 and it takes a day! Honestly, it's not worth creating any stress about. Go back to nappiea andstart again in a few months time.

seeker Tue 14-Oct-08 06:05:20

You can start at 2.5 and it takes 6 months, or you can start at 3 and it takes a day! Honestly, it's not worth creating any stress about. Go back to nappiea andstart again in a few months time.

RoseOfTheOrient Tue 14-Oct-08 06:08:58

what dilbertina said!
I tried taking DD out of nappies when she was about 2.5 and it soon became very clear that her brain and her bladder were still not connected!
She decided that the day of her third birthday would be the day she gave up nappies for good - and she did. It took a day, and then no accidents.
Some children are just not ready..

Bombus Tue 14-Oct-08 08:21:20

Thanks for all your replies - I really appreciate it. I will have to have a think about what I'm going to do. I don't want to give up when we've got this far, but I also agree it is not worth persevering if she's simply not ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now