Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Clothes that fit over cloth nappies...

(23 Posts)
bitofadramaqueen Mon 13-Oct-08 13:56:38

Sorry, I'm sure it's been done to death but DS not napping long enough for me to do a proper search!

Just wondering what are the best stores for buying boys trousers/jeans to fit over cloth nappies (and which to avoid)? I know about cut4cloth/frugi but MIL desperate to start buying DS clothes for christmas and I want to point her in the right direction.

As always, thanks!

mistlethrush Mon 13-Oct-08 13:59:10

We had ds in dungarees a lot - most were fine, although he was quite slim - great as they don't pull things down at the waist and things don't get untucked at the waist either. Go for ones that have popper fastening under the legs for easy changes.

Indith Mon 13-Oct-08 14:09:13

Buy your own trousers and get them to buy tops and jumpers or coats etc.

I get so fed up of ill fitting trousers, even a size too big they still get way too tight in the crotch area very quickly. Ds is much happier in his frugi trousers (tis all about the sales grin). A lot of people swear by dungarees but ds is a bit of a skinny one so they would be huge around his top half to fit his bum.

bitofadramaqueen Mon 13-Oct-08 14:58:10

Thanks. Will keep and eye out for dungarees.

Frugi only seem to have one pair of baby boys trousers for sale at the moment so not much luck there!

Anyone else find any high street places fit particularly well or particularly badly?

tutu100 Mon 13-Oct-08 16:22:54

I found TU at Sainsbury's an excellent fit for my DS over his cloth nappies and they were very reasonably priced and good quality.

babyjjbaby Mon 13-Oct-08 16:30:39

asda and tescos is good especialy tesco matalan i find small mothercare can be small but some things are ok

BlueChampagne Mon 13-Oct-08 16:32:21

Polarn O. Pyret (www.polarnopyret.se) - they have some high street outlets in UK as well.

RhinestoneCowghoul Mon 13-Oct-08 16:35:37

I found the cheaper brands better - Tescos, Adams etc. DS has v rarely worn jeans (now 2 yrs) as he is broad in the beam anyway and the nappies just add to it. Picked up lovely dungarees in charity shops when he was younger, always worth a look...

bitofadramaqueen Mon 13-Oct-08 17:16:34

Thanks everyone - makes a nice change to hear that the cheaper brands are the best option! Bluechampagne, that Company has an outlet in a nearby department store so will check it out.

Oh, does anywhere know where I can get the extenders for bodysuits?

Ariela Mon 13-Oct-08 19:25:31

I noticed www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk have 3 for 2 on Bright Bots clothing, but in boy stuff they haven't much left in our sizes.

cazzybabs Mon 13-Oct-08 19:34:56

frugi

ilovemydog Mon 13-Oct-08 19:40:25

green baby

bitofadramaqueen Mon 13-Oct-08 22:02:17

Thanks - Ariela I hadn't come accross twinkle twinkle before so I'll have a look again in the future when they have a bit more stock in!

Any other opinions on what's good/bad on the high street so my MIL can go shopping?

tutu100 Tue 14-Oct-08 10:32:32

Suddenly remembered that H&M were good for boys clothing and some of Boots mini mode trousers are very generously cut in the bottom area.

Primark were good for track suit trousers, but I found some of there other styles like jeans and cords weren't deep enough in the beam so be careful in there.

mistlethrush Tue 14-Oct-08 11:46:10

I never had any probs with dungarees being large on top - perhaps a bit gapy at the top of the waist - but surely better than tight.

H&M do some nice dungarees; Next do some nice tops - not had many trousers from them to be honest.

If she's going shopping though, make sure that she gets sensible sizes - ds was never in newborn, and grew out of 0 - 3 months at 4 wks - don't think he was in anything but vests and sleepsuits with jacket over the top as appropriate until about 5 wks...

bitofadramaqueen Thu 16-Oct-08 09:00:52

Thanks everyone - I think I'll get family to stick to dungarees etc and I'll be in charge of any trousers.

rachelinscotland Thu 16-Oct-08 11:35:50

Just make sure she doesn't get any dungarees (or trousers!) from Mackays, unless they've started making them any different! When my son could fit into 3-6m Mothercare dungarees, the 6-9m ones from Mackays didn't have enough room in the top half! The legs part were way past his feet but not enough room for his top half. They were just utterly hopeless - I got rid of anything from Mackays, as they just never would fit, trousers were really bad too. Maybe OK for a very slim baby (and in disposies too!) but not for cloth. I found Mothercare dungarees very roomy, as well as an older secondhand pair of ones from Next. But didn't always have success with Next trousers, so guess clothes are all different, even from the same shop.

bitofadramaqueen Fri 17-Oct-08 12:01:33

Thanks rachel. I guess its just going to be a bit trial and error. His 0-3 months fitted him ok just about till he was three months, and he's fitting in all of his 3-6 months fine at the mo, but he's not quite 4 months yet so I dont see him getting to wear some of his trousers all the way till Christmas!

Any suggestions on sleepsuits. Have finally been brave enough to put him in cloth overnight grin but dont see him getting much wear out of his 3-6 month sleep suits. Next size up would be way too big on the legs. Would he be better in pj's?

rachelinscotland Fri 17-Oct-08 21:13:52

What about fleece zip up sleep suits? Mine got quite a lot of wear out of Tesco's 6-9m fleece zip up sleepsuits - tho my daughter wore her's far longer than my little boy did! LOL But they usually seem to have quite a lot of room (more baggy than ordinary cotton sleepsuits, in my experience). I've had ones from Mothercare as well and they were a good fit too, as well as Carters ones from USA. One think I like about fleece sleepsuits is they go very well with fleece nightime cloth nappies (like Minki fleece pockets) - since sometimes a bit of moisture leaks out of fleece nappies, the fleece works together with the fleece pjs and nothing comes out to the bed. Though maybe this applies more for tummy sleepers (what my son was for ages) as I could let my daughter wear any pjs over fleece nappies and had no problems.

Anyway, now I'm just rambling & prob not making any sense!

bitofadramaqueen Sun 19-Oct-08 15:59:57

Someone has in fact just bought him a zip up fleece suit! I wasn't quite sure if I would actually use it as it's so much thicker than his regular sleepsuits and I thought he might be too warm. He's usually in a sleeping bag - would vest, zip up fleece suit and sleeping bag be an ok combination in the winter? [bit thick]. I'm obsessed by overheating, so much so that DS is always considerably underdressed in comparison to other babies I see. grin

rachelinscotland Mon 20-Oct-08 08:28:29

Hmmm, sounds like he might get a bit too warm in all of that (unless he was in a room w/ no heating on! lol). Mine usually just wear a zip up fleece suit, and occasionally put a vest on my daughter when her room's a bit cold. But afraid I've never tried sleeping bags, so don't know how much extra warm that would make him - might depend on what tog it is. I suppose if it was a light one, would prob be fine tho.

MrsBadger Mon 20-Oct-08 08:52:00

I just put dd in the next size babygrows and let the feet dangle

until they're walkign they don;t seem to mind

bitofadramaqueen Mon 20-Oct-08 09:04:00

In hindsight, the zip up fleece does seem a bit much! The zip up suit may come in handy for daytime naps I guess, or in the winter when only his very very lightweight summer sleeping bag is clean.

Thanks MrsBadger - I guess he wont really care if the feet are too long, so might just go with that when he grows out of the 3-6 month sleepsuits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: