Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

If I was to consider reusable nappies for this baby where would I start?

(28 Posts)
McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 18:42:47

Recommendations, websites, shops? Are they really that easy? Do clothes really fit? Aren't they quite bulky? Help!!!

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 12-Oct-08 18:45:50

You will get loads of info on here - its where i started many moons ago, i now have my own reuseable website as per the small ads so feel free to contact me for some advise, bumfluff is also a mumsnetter who will also guide for free like me. Big bad mousey will write you a lovely detailed account on every nappy out there too! Yes they are easy peasy lemon squeazy if your lucky enough to find something to suit straight off. Yes some are nice and slim also so clothing not a problem. How old is your little one?

McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 18:47:05

I am 21 weeks pregnant so I am forward planning! Research shall we call it wink

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 12-Oct-08 18:49:59

OOOoooo lovely - research is sooooooooooo good fun!

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Sun 12-Oct-08 19:46:05

By Nappyzoneneedssleep on Sun 12-Oct-08 18:45:50 "Big bad mousey will write you a lovely detailed account on every nappy out there too!" blush <suspects I go on a bit too much> blush

Cloth nappies really are easy to use and strangely addictive hmm. They can be a bit bulky - I don't like the big bum look so I chose carefully and picked nappies that were thin fitting and absorbant. DD2 is 2.5 and can wear her cloth nappies under her jeans (and at that age clothes manufacturers seem to forget all about nappies and cut jeans etc like mini-adult clothes.)

IMO when deciding what nappies to get the two golden rules are

1-get some decent advice tailored to your needs

2- don't buy a whole set at once - try a few different types out first before you decide to make a bulk order of one particular type.

McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 19:48:30

Ok stupid question then - what do you mean tailored to my needs? Surely I just need a nappy that's absorbant?

Flamesparrow Sun 12-Oct-08 19:51:58

Nope - you DO want absorbent, but you might want one that goes on really easily more than one that dries quickly, or you might want a reall slim fitting one more than you want a cheap one etc

Flamesparrow Sun 12-Oct-08 19:52:14

I'm bumfluff btw wink

McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 19:53:28

Oh ok, well i def want slimline but beyond that I'm at a bit of a loss blush

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Sun 12-Oct-08 19:53:35

grin - you see! That's what happens when I try to be brief blush.

What I mean is do you want something thin fitting, quick drying, easy to use (for carers or grandparents etc). Do you want an organic fabric or something more envornmentally friendly, what is your budget are you happy to buy different sized nappies or do you just want to buy a one-size nappy that should fit from birth to potty training, do you want somwthing that will last for many subsequent children or will have a good resale value?

See now I definitely am going on blush

McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 19:56:39

No no very useful, do go on grin

As I said def slimline. This is my 3rd and last baby so will only be used and then would want to sell. Hadn't really thought of a budget tbh. How much can it vary to and from?
I am a SAHM so carers not too much of an issue.

If I go down this road I just want something that will work and I won't spend loads of money on and never use.

Flamesparrow Sun 12-Oct-08 19:58:17

Do you want it to dry quickly, or is drying time not a problem (bamboo can take 48 hours on an airer in a cold house iyswim)

McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 19:59:24

Don't think that would be too much of an issue. Can I put them in a tumble drier if I needed to?

Flamesparrow Sun 12-Oct-08 20:00:35

You can, on a low temp - it doesn't do the elastic or fibres much good though so would lower resale value.

McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 20:01:33

Ok well I still don't think it would be too much of an issue.

Flamesparrow Sun 12-Oct-08 20:05:36

Ok, so with that it means that you can either have a bamboo 2 part system (nappy and wrap) which I find more reliable, but takes that bit longer to put on.

OR you can go for pockets which tend to be slimmer than shaped.

Your best bet is to get one of each of a few diff types. For slimness you will be better with sized rather than one size.

Soo....

Fuzzi Bunz
Bambeasy/Bambinex/Bamboozle (pros and cons for all of those)

brain is melting and I can't think nappies too well - Mousey or Nappyzone, come list some more slim nappies!!! (NZ is a pockect fan so much more use there)

McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 20:06:41

Thank you so much smile

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 12-Oct-08 20:10:31

Some surestart areas offer a free cloth nappy loan service. Or try NCT sales.

To be honest though, I'd wait until your dc is at least a couple of months old. The gussets in the things are so wide that baby will be doing the splits if you start too early. Great for pre-toilet training though, so the child gets used to the 'wet' feeling.

MrsJamin Sun 12-Oct-08 20:15:20

slimmest ones I found are Itti Bitti D'Lish - lovely and soft, economical and absorbant

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Sun 12-Oct-08 20:17:25

ummmmmm......

Ellas House Day nappies are very thin - you will need to tumble them to keep em soft or they will go like concrete. They are hemp so quite absorbant but you need to wash them loads before you can get the fibres up to a good level of absorbancy.

Motherease One Size. I don't like the cut at all and they are a btp so a bit bulky on a newborn but they are thin fitting.

Swaddlebees Organic velour and slim fitting too.

Sandy's aren't too bad either but I think you need to use an aiflow wrap over these and those can be a bit bulky.

FYI - I use Ellas house day nappies on DD2 and a mix of Fuzzis and Sandy's for DS - he is a heavy wetter so the sandy's last a good while. Fuzzis are a pocket nappy and are super-thin under his jeans (but need changing more often)

If you are confused by all these names this website will give you pics and pros and cons.

If you find a pocket nappy that suits your DCs shape you'll be laughing - very thin fitting. You just need to find one that is cut for your DCs shape or you'll get a few leaks. My fuzzis never leak for DS.

Where are you based McDreamy?

McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 20:18:55

In Cyprus at the moment but i will be in Bucks when the baby arrives.

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Sun 12-Oct-08 20:22:07

Modern Baby pop-in is thin too - forgot that one.

Cloth is good for newborns - places their hips where they should be. That said you can buy very trim fitting newborn sized nappies which hold the legs like a disposable would

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Sun 12-Oct-08 20:24:19

Then you will have a local cloth nappy initiative and £30 towards your nappies smile

McDreamy Sun 12-Oct-08 20:45:09

Oh that's great. Should find some more information and stockists locally when I move home!

I tried Bambino Mio nappies with DD but didn't like them and gave up. Unfortunately I bought the birth to potty pack blush most of which has never been used sad. It's very important to find the right nappy for me and baby.

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Sun 12-Oct-08 20:57:19

Ah so you'd agree with not bulking in bulk straight away then? grin

tbh you'll get lots of suggesstions on here and I think that can be quite bewildering. I'd say choose an advisor you trust and have a one-to-one with them.

That link I gave you lists several lollipop agents and, I think, I trial kit scheme so those are options where you can see the nappies before you buy. I know loads of MNetters have found nappyzone and flame(bumfluff) to be really helpful. Nappyzone has some lovely pocket nappies on her site which I doubt lollipop stock so well worth bookmarking IMO.

btw if you found a suitable pocket nappy, you can use the prefolds from you bambino mio system as boosters - a bit bulky but good for long journeys and nights - so all is not neccessarily lost smile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now