Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Toilet training a developmentally delayed child

(5 Posts)
FangolinaJolly Sat 11-Oct-08 22:56:02

Can anyone help?

dd has delays.I do not expoect to potty train her for poos(She does them at night,sorry if TMI)but am wondering about wees.She will sometimes tap her nappy area and I have sat her on the toilet and she has weed sometimes aftyer this.I sit her on a toilet seat before her bath and we occasionally get a wee.So I am wondering how best to go about it.I have a laminated picture of a toilet,and am wondering if I show her the picture and put her on the toilet when she taps her nappy is the way ahead.I am waiting for an OT to come and provide a potty chair for downstairs but in the meantime I am wondering if regular sitting her on the toilet would be advisable.She cannot sit on a normal potty cos of her splints making it uncomfortable for her to bend her legs.Thanks.

saffiw Sat 11-Oct-08 23:39:02

Is she really ready? If not then leave it for a while. Ds who has developmental delay wasn't dry in the day until he was rising 5 (and 9 for the night)

FangolinaJolly Sun 12-Oct-08 00:23:32

Thanks,Saffiw,Sometimes I don't always know if I have read her signals properly.It could just be that she thinks the sitting on toilet thing is part of her routine,and she does love her routines!

ches Sun 12-Oct-08 01:21:05

I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't carry on as you are and let her learn slowly.

sweetgrapes Sun 12-Oct-08 21:15:08

Really can't say. But I would think not to push it - just let her carry on as you are doing. How old is she? I wouldn't think that just tapping on her nappy was enough to indicate that she's ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now