Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Trying to go dry all night. Not really working.

(13 Posts)
BarcodeZebra Thu 09-Oct-08 20:22:56

DD1 is 3.6 and has been fully toilet trained for about 6 months. she recently decided to give up wearing pull ups at night but we are having a pretty poor hit rate in the dry all night stakes. She did quite well initially: managing a run of five dry nights in the first fortnight. We're nearly at the end of week four and she's wet the bed once (occasionally twice) every night in the past two weeks with four exceptions.

She's been brilliant generally because she's had to forgo her milk before bed habit and has had to go for a wee just before she gets into bed. She gets nothing to drink after tea (5.30ish) at all. We are waking her and taking her for a wee when we go to bed at about 10.45. she wakes between 6 and 7 and has usually wet the bed and slept right through it.

We are being very calm about it all and not telling her off but we are making a big, big fuss of her when she gets it right.

There's a star chart on the go too.

Now: are we missing a trick somewhere or do we just have to persevere?

Any tips or tricks very welcome - the constant sheet/duvet washing is getting us down.

mewerewolvesarehowling Thu 09-Oct-08 20:38:06

Sorry, got no advice but bumping this as we're coming up to the same stage and I'd like some advice too, hope you don't mind..

BarcodeZebra Thu 09-Oct-08 20:48:33

No, not at all. I think the answer is probably, persevere. Hence the lack of replies...

Seona1973 Thu 09-Oct-08 22:09:27

I'd try to persuade her back into some form of nappy as until her body is ready to go without weeing all night then you are just going to get night after night of wet beds. It is something to do with the production of a hormone that suppresses urine production at night and until it is produced then they wont be capable of going the whole night without weeing. She may just not be ready to be dry at night yet - it is not considered a problem till about the age of 7 or 8 so there is plenty of time to try again in the future.

LJ29 Sun 12-Oct-08 20:55:33

Hi BZ, I am also stuggling with DS and he is 4 and a half. Driving me absolutely mad!

BarcodeZebra Mon 13-Oct-08 19:14:34

Oh, I guess she'll do it when she's ready. She's adamant that she doesn't want to go back to nappies though and I take that as a good sign. I know you're right, Seona, but we've been through enough dry nights to know she can do it.

LJ29: it's strangely reassuring to know that someone else is having the same problem. I've heard a number of people say that boys have a tougher time with this than girls. Don't now if it's true but maybe it's a comfort. Good luck and thanks.

Shylily Mon 13-Oct-08 21:23:25

It is also genetic. Do you know what age you and your DH went through the night?

BarcodeZebra Tue 14-Oct-08 21:44:36

VERY good point. Thanks. Will find out. all I know is that both of us have been dry all night since we met....

mewerewolvesarehowling Wed 15-Oct-08 14:04:43

grin BZ

I didn't know that about the hormone - interesting.

So I guess with my DD we wait until she's got dry nappies in the morning? Sometimes she is still dry in the morning and goes to the toilet as soon as she gets up. I suppose this is a sign she's nearly there?

Better make sure we've got plenty of spare bedding ready!

BarcodeZebra Wed 15-Oct-08 20:37:07

Sounds like she's ready to me. We failed to strike at that point (DD2 had just arrived and it felt like too much - how wrong I was..)

I think the trick is to encourage her to give it try. No point forcing her to give up the night time nappies if she's not keen.

One of the best tips we got in terms of bedding was to make up the bed in layers so if there is an accident we just take off the wet sheets and bingo! there are dry ones underneath.

The other tip was to use disposable changing mats under the sheets to soak up the pee and hopefully stop the waterproof sheet from getting a soaking. It sounds counter intuitive but those buggers take about 48 hours to dry!

So the layered bed in our house goes like this: Mattress, pad, ordinary sheet. waterproof sheet, pad ordinary sheet, waterproof sheet, pad ordinary sheet.

It's the princess and the pee... or hopefully, not.

Anyway, the good news is that we've had three dry nights on trot so we're keeping it all crossed.

mewerewolvesarehowling Thu 16-Oct-08 08:46:35

Hope you had a another dry night last night Barcode.

Fantastic tip about the bedding - I think we might give it a go this weekend.

Recently she's been asking to go to bed without a nappy (like a big girl, aww) so I think we've got to go with her and just put up with the inconvenience.

The biggest hurdle is going to be getting her to give up her bedtime drink as this has been a big part of her routine.

seeker Thu 16-Oct-08 08:55:49

I would go back to pull ups. They really can't be dry at night til their bodies and brains are ready. Oh, and it's not a good idea to restrict fluids - apparently it makes the pee more concentrated and irritates the bladder so makes them more likely to wet.

Lots of children are still wearing nappies at night long after they are dry during the day.

BarcodeZebra Thu 16-Oct-08 19:47:01

She has her last drink of the day with her tea at about 5.30 and we are ensuring that she drinks plenty during the day. She's done 5 dry nights on the trot now so I think going back to pull ups is not the way to go.

Thanks for you thoughts though, Seeker.

Mewerewolves... We made giving up her bedtime drink one of the rows on her star chart (the others being going for a wee just before bed and, obviously, being dry all night) She was really keen to get a nighty so we said that if she could get a total of 10 stars across all the rows in one week we'd buy her this one. It certainly worked with helping her on the first two and we just had to hope that the staying dry would follow as a matter of course. It all seems to be going OK at present but I'm sure we'll have more wet nights in future.

Good luck at the weekend. Let me know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now