Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Little Lambs - bamboo, cotton or microfibre

(19 Posts)
ButtonMeUp Tue 07-Oct-08 22:10:06

Decided to go for these (going for a pack of 20) cant decide which material... Liking the idea of bamboo - any expereince or advice would be appreciated (am new to this!)

Ceolas Tue 07-Oct-08 22:37:28

Just typed you a lovely long answer then lost it when I tried to post!

I have a couple of little lambs. Bamboo is lovely. Absorbent and soft but takes an age to dry. Microfibre also soft but a little too synthetic feeling for me.

Is this a new baby? If so you might want to hold off buying a big pack of anything until you see what size/shape it is and what its habits are like wink

The little lamb site has a good section on the different fabrics I think. A lot depends on your lifestyle and drying facilities.

Flamebat Tue 07-Oct-08 22:38:13

Just buy a couple to begin with to make sure the shape suits you best (one of each maybe?)

Ceolas Tue 07-Oct-08 22:40:00

There's an ebay seller who does LLs singly (£5.99 I think) and in packs. I've ordered a couple of times and the service is to be highly recommended. I'd link but I'm at work and not allowed on ebay!

ButtonMeUp Tue 07-Oct-08 22:44:52

Ds is 9 months, my friend has the microfibre and said very fast drying. I have looked at hers and they seem really good. She also said she heard bamboo takes ages to dry. Does anyone know how long they take to dry? The actual shape and size seem good but the bamboo is a slimmer fit i believe. Dp said we either buy the lot (£155) or none!

ButtonMeUp Tue 07-Oct-08 22:45:13

Ds has about 7-8 changes a day.

Ceolas Tue 07-Oct-08 22:47:12

Eek! Well drying on a rack in a reasonably warm kitchen mine takes 2-3 days to dry. The label says you can tumble dry them though lots of people say it damages bamboo.

ButtonMeUp Tue 07-Oct-08 22:55:46

2-3 days! omg. That is bamboo?

ButtonMeUp Tue 07-Oct-08 22:56:44

I was going for the pack of 20 for 155, perhaps the cotton or microfibre would be better then. Just liked the idea of slim fit.

Ceolas Tue 07-Oct-08 22:57:35

Yes that's bamboo. The microfibre are almost dry overnight on the rack. Cotton about a day (I have Bimbles and Tots bots in cotton but not LLs).

Ceolas Tue 07-Oct-08 22:58:49

I wouldn't say the LL bamboo is much slimmer tbh. It's a thick nappy as far as bamboos go. Have you looked on ebay for a set?

ButtonMeUp Tue 07-Oct-08 23:02:15

i cant do ebay blush but will have a quick look. Think will go for microfibre then. Apparntly cotton can bet all stiff.

ButtonMeUp Tue 07-Oct-08 23:02:34

I meant to say thanks as well because it is nice for some advice!

Ceolas Tue 07-Oct-08 23:05:46

No problem. If you're worried about cotton being stiff, I can recommend Easy Peasy Bimbles (just to confuse you!) as they're completely fleece lined. Even if the cotton's stiff, the baby has a soft fabric next to them. They dry quite quickly too (but not as quickly as microfibre)

ButtonMeUp Tue 07-Oct-08 23:10:53

think the little lambs are all fleece lines is he outer bit i am being prissy about. Just looked on ebay and has the bamboo and the cotton but not the microfibre typical eh?

Ceolas Tue 07-Oct-08 23:13:08

The fleece liner on the little lambs is separate and is a long rectangle which sits inside the nappy. Bimbles are entirely lined in fleece which is sewn in.

Sure the microfibre will work well for you though

BigBadMousey Wed 08-Oct-08 10:00:41

I have used all three.

The microfibre is bulky but not as bulky as some microfibre nappies.It is quick drying but I find the bulk a pita in older dcs - the clothes manufacturers suddenly forget to leave room for a nappy on clothes sized 18m+

The cotton is quicker drying than totsbots.

The bamboo.......thick, really does take days to dry - good night nappy though. They do not like being tumbled!

Definitely agree you should look into easy peasy nappies. The bambeasy is a quick drying, fleece lined thin bamboo nappy - very versatile as it can be boosted too - far superior to little lambs. The bumble and bimbles are the cotton versions.

It really is a bad idea to buy them in bulk without checking the fit though...but if you have to then I'd definitely go for the easy peasy range as they have a more universal fit the the LLs.

ButtonMeUp Wed 08-Oct-08 22:22:50

bigbad - what is drying time on the cotton little lambs? I thought little lambs were boostable too. My friend has the little lambs and will borrow one off her to try on ds2 to make sure fit and seeing it all in action it looks quite simple and not as daunting as i thought it would be.

BigBadMousey Thu 09-Oct-08 13:38:56

Drying times are so variable depending on circumstances. I live in a very old cob cottage, I think somewhere a little more modern and not built of mud might give different times grin. I tend to give a relative idea of drying times which probably isn't much use to you. They dry a little bit quicker than original totsbots if that is any help to you at all (doubt it). If you like I'm quite happy to plonk one in the wash and see how long it takes to dry to give you a better idea. They definitely do go hard over time though although there are things you can do to overcome this. If you use a fleece liner then you won't have any cotton next to your baby's skin anyway.

The microfibre one has a little bit more stretch to it than the cotton so bear that in mind when you try out the microfibre one.

The other thing is the wraps - they have improved them loads but they still aren't as reliable as Motherease wraps (the Rikki and Airflow).

They come with a booster which just lays inside the nappy - the easy peasy range have a pocket you put the booster inside and that makes it a bit easier to fit onto a wriggly baby. With the LL, the booster and fleece liner are free to move about while you are putting the nappy on - with the easy peasy that isn't the case because the booster sits in the fleece pocket and the pocket is the liner. I don't like the little lamb fleece liner thing either - tis all fluffy and 'things' stick to it (very odd - not like your conventional liner)

Don't let that put you off - it sounds a bit tricky but it really isn't at all. Cloth nappies are simple to use.

Let me know if you want me to time a cotton one for you <nappy nerd alert>. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now