Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Whats the view on pull up's?

(13 Posts)
feedthegoat Mon 06-Oct-08 23:22:05

Anybody got any advice on whether you think pull up's help or hinder? My DS is 3 at end of month and though I'm not interested in 'competetive' potty training feel like should be getting somewhere now. He use's potty if leave him naked from waist down but it's getting abit nippy now! When tried pants about 4 months ago he'd just wee in them. Think he's got more idea now and want to try again. Like idea of pull ups when out but am worried it might confuse him.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 06-Oct-08 23:23:11

Tutter put it very well yesterday.

Hang on and I'll find it.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 06-Oct-08 23:26:05

Tutter's post on this subject, on Sunday 5th October:

''pull ups are shit imo

nappies when thjey need nappies

pants when they don't

that's what i say''

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Basically, don't waste your money.

smile

onepieceoflollipop Mon 06-Oct-08 23:30:33

If he uses the potty when he is naked from waist down then he has control. If he is nearly 3 then you have the advantage of being able to explain things to him (easier than you would to a child just over 2)

Good luck.

Ime you just have to accept that for a few days you will get wet pants/clothes etc, until he gets the hang of it fully. I honestly think that most of us have to go through that stage.

feedthegoat Mon 06-Oct-08 23:33:27

That's kind of how I feel but I've got a quite hideous vision of trying to leave the house! I know DS knows to use potty when he has urge and but I also know what a stubborn little monkey he is and he's giving it "I like nappies they're nice, pants are yukky"

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 06-Oct-08 23:34:19

The nursery that our two go to 3 days a week said no pull ups please when potty training.
They agree with the parents when to try and its pants all the way regardless of accidents.
They had one mother recently insist on pull ups as she thought they were something important to wear during potty training (the power of marketing) and the staff were not impressed.
Nursery manager said they are a waste of money.
If you want to go out just take some changes of clothing and a potty. Swapping between pants and pullups causes confusion and potty training takes much longer.

(I have potty trained 2 now so consider myself an expert grinwink)

onepieceoflollipop Mon 06-Oct-08 23:34:55

Star chart or similar? Works for us for short term "projects" but not everyone agrees with them I know.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 06-Oct-08 23:35:36

Well in that case I would wait a bit.

You really don't want to turn it into a battle.

Wait for a month or so and try again, take all the pressure off.

Good luck.

smile

onepieceoflollipop Mon 06-Oct-08 23:36:49

feedthegoat - cast the hideous version from your mind.

This is the worst that will happen - you will go out. ds will need a wee. He will either hang on (and you will be prepared either with potty or know where nearest loo is) or he will wet himself. If he wets himself you continue calmly on to loo/back to car and wipe him over and change him.

(hope that sounds supportive rather than harsh btw)

cheesesarnie Mon 06-Oct-08 23:37:31

they are pants(arf arf).cost a million times more than nappies,they leak,they are basically a nappy (so not good for potty training imo).

Kewcumber Mon 06-Oct-08 23:39:10

we used pull ups - they worked fine for us and DS was poty trianed by 2.6 with exceptionally few accidents. But then I did everything everyone said not to blush Think I was just lucky.

I used them because they were easier for me and he didn't seem that confusd by them. Then we moved to plastic lined cotton pans then a ceremonial buying of "dinosaur pants".

I don't see the big deal either way . Try them - if they work for you use them if they don;t, then stop.

FAQ Mon 06-Oct-08 23:40:03

pull ups are FANTASTIC for when you have a toddler that won't lie down for nappy changes - as a toilet training tool - well it beats me what the "use" of them is - they're just another form of nappy which makes life easier for those of us who have un-cooperative toddlers/babies at nappy change time..

feedthegoat Mon 06-Oct-08 23:41:46

I do use a star chart though I've steered it away from just potty training and tried to incorporate other things as found he was trying to use potty all time and getting cross. When asked him why he said it was because he wanted a sticker but couldn't go. This has stopped since included stickers for other things. He's abit on the willful side. Often find people telling me he's abit of a character (learning thats playgroup speak for handful!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now