Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help for a first time potty trainer - I haven't the foggiest

(7 Posts)
tryingherbest Tue 30-Sep-08 22:58:38

Ok, so ds 2.4 months - have been trying to get him interested in the potty - but he's been a bit scared. Also reading him books. He was nappiless the other day and we encouraged him to have a go. He peed on the floor so we said OK, now next time you can try the potty. He promptly gets on a did a tiny week. So chuffed we praised him.

Two days on nothing - then sits on the potty for ages, then gets paper and cleans himself - gets up and then calmly wees on the carpet (which is something he told me he wanted to do!).

Am I training too early???? He wont tell me when he wants to go on after.

But, his bladder is mature - he does about 5 wees and 2 poos a day and that's it - also he's been without nappies at night and during naps since he was 1 - no accidents at all when asleep!

What do I do - we don't use pull ups as he hates them - and the boy could go for hours with a dirty nappy - doesn't bother him.

What am I doing wrong?

AndreaNZ Wed 01-Oct-08 11:34:05

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time! I found Gina Ford's book on Potty Training quite helpful (though more for guidance rather than following to the letter.) She has some excellent tips for knowing when your child is ready to start. We started training our DS just after his second birthday - though to be honest I would have waited longer if it hadn't been for the fact we were about to travel abroad for six weeks and I wanted to get him sorted before then (as it was it took several months so you may need to hand in there!) Am impressed that your DS is dry all night - that's quite something!
Just wondering if you've considered trying him standing up on a step to wee on the big toilet (rather than the potty?) Our little one likes the idea of peeing like Daddy!

Seeline Wed 01-Oct-08 11:44:06

He doesn't sound quite ready yet. Don't make a fuss about it, but I would put him back into nappies for a bit. Boys often do take longer to understand what is expected of them. IMO it's because they really don't care whether they are wet/dry, clean/dirty. My DS was about 3.5 before he finally got the message about it, we had had a couple of previous attempts with no success. I am amazed that he is dry at night so young though - that usually comes after daytime success.

Seona1973 Wed 01-Oct-08 13:22:13

my ds (2 today!!) doesnt like to sit on the potty to pee but will stand up with the potty held at his willy and pee that way. He also stands on a step stool at the toilet and will pee into it standing up. I dont know how we will get on with pooing as he doesnt sit on the potty/toilet yet but he is getting there with peeing. I am not actually properly toilet training yet but am getting him used to the idea of using the potty/toilet.

tryingherbest Wed 01-Oct-08 22:30:01

Ah - maybe his not emotionally ready yet.

Yep - it's odd that he has dry nights - he's obviously a back to front type of kid. I know people find that bit hard - so maybe he's going to make it really really hard to get the easy bit right - natural justice.

He's still in nappies (he hates pull ons) so I might try to have potty available - try the stand up thing but generally only ask and if he agrees give it a go - this will take months. Agh

ches Thu 02-Oct-08 00:41:39

He sounds ready to learn how to hold it for the toilet, but learning isn't instantaneous for all children. He sounds like a good candidate for slow, gently, drawn out potty training where he stays in nappies but goes on the toilet or potty when he is able to ask in time or to poo when you notice the signs that he's about to do one.

ss30 Sun 05-Oct-08 23:28:11

Hi. I used the book potty trainer...guarantees to be potty trained in 3 days. I had several unsuccessful attemps, but found that book brillant.We achieved what it claims potty trained in 3days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now