Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Dry in day but will only do no.2 in nappy!!?

(19 Posts)
zoeln Mon 28-Feb-05 18:31:59

Does anyone have any advice for me.... My son is 2 1/2 and is out of nappies in the day, but he will only do a poo in his nappy! I have tried all tactics and reward systems to get him to do it on potty or toilet, but he ends up constipated if I don't put a nappy on him. He asks for a nappy on to 'do a poo' and can get very upset if I ask him to do it on the toilet or potty.... Any idea??

LittleRedRidingHood Mon 28-Feb-05 19:21:24

Hi Zoeln - I was talking to dh about this today
I told him that the shops no longer sold nappies big enough for him to wear in the daytime - and simply stopped buying them - that helped him to be dry for wee - for a week or so he did poos in his pants - then for another week he did it on the floor - nice!

Then we got better at knowing when he was going to do it and got him to the toilet/potty quicker - He made a lot of fuss for the first few days - but now a few weeks later he thinks "plopping sausages" is very good fun!

To avoid constipation i make sure he eats lots of fruit and veg and also raisins - also Pampers kandoo sent us a toilet passport with stickers and a certificate - also very popular - we said he could have the purple stickers for wee but that the green ones were very special and only for poo - he was desparate for a green sticker - huge incentive!!!!!!!

HTH

pootlepod Mon 28-Feb-05 19:35:59

You are not alone- my niece had a similar thing about only pooing in her nappy. My sister tried all those things, ended up that one day she didn't have a nappy on her and my niece had to go in the loo. Then she went every time.

Have you tried emptying the poo from the nappy into the loo, or putting paper in the loo/potty? Has he seen other people do poos on the loo? Or his friends?

zoeln Mon 28-Feb-05 21:13:27

Thanks for the advice. It seems the best way is just to stop the nappies and grin and bear it!! It may cause a bit of a problem as he's at nursery half the week when I'm at work. I have tried telling him that we've run out of nappies, but unfortunately he's quick to point out that as he wears them for bed at night there will be some in his cupboard upstairs!! Toddlers!!! Anyway, I'll try emptying his nappy in the toilet as I've not done that yet....

alterego Mon 28-Feb-05 21:36:10

I had the same with my ds. Maybe coincidental but he finally seemed happy about the process of doing no.2s on the toilet when I explained to him exactly what was happening - ie. it was the bad or unneeded bits of the food he had eaten (especially that birthday cake etc.!) that his body was getting rid of.

Fran1 Mon 28-Feb-05 21:43:04

Lots of children do this, i would let him have a nappy on if he asks so as not to make too much fuss. Just gently tell him he should be doing it on the potty when you spot him straining.

If it makes you feel any better, my dd is just potty trained, and discovered that if you hold onto your poo until mummy has got you in nice clean pj's, tucked you into bed and is just on her way downstairs to enjoy some peace and quiet, you can cry at the top of your voice "MUMMY I NEED A POO" Mummy will race back up the stairs and sit for another half hour while you do a poo on the potty.

This is all well and good, except sometimes i know she is winding me up, cos she's already done a poo in the day, but she insists so much that she needs to go i have to let her try (for fear of causing her to get constipated).

Oh the fun!! can't wait til we brave nights without nappies!! when are we supposed to do that by the way? Do you just wait until nappies seem dry by morning?

Fran1 Mon 28-Feb-05 21:44:25

I forgot to say, that i ask her a zillion times before putting pj's on if she needs the potty and she says no. Then minutes later miraculously she does!

thedogmother Mon 28-Feb-05 21:46:26

My ds1 was like this. I put the nappy on him for a couple of weeks, then laid the nappy in the bottom of the potty, then after a couple more weeks he didn't need it.

I think the nappy is just reassuring to them.

zoeln Mon 28-Feb-05 21:48:58

So maybe it's just best to leave him be..?? When he started weeing in the loo, I'd tried for months to get him out of nappies and one day he just told me he wanted a wee... I took his nappy off and we never looked back! I'm hoping the same will happen with the no.2!? As for dry nights...who know's... I've no idea about when I'm meant to do this??

thedogmother Mon 28-Feb-05 21:50:05

Yes, probably a good idea. He'll get the hang of it, especially if he see's you using the loo.

Dry nights just seem to happen, there's not much you can do to encourage them.

Fran1 Mon 28-Feb-05 21:50:14

I'm sure the same will happen with no.2.

zoeln Mon 28-Feb-05 21:51:33

thedogmother... thanks for this.. I thought I was going mad today laying a nappy in his potty, so I didn't persist with it... maybe I'll try this tomorrow again..

thedogmother Mon 28-Feb-05 21:52:51

!!!

I used to feel that I was "wasting" a nappy by doing this, and started to put liners and tissues in to "catch" the poo! More often than not they could then be re-used!

thedogmother Mon 28-Feb-05 21:53:35

The nappies <could be re-used> not the liners and tissues!

kama Mon 28-Feb-05 21:53:45

Message withdrawn

zoeln Mon 28-Feb-05 21:57:04

Not sure if this is normal or not.. maybe someone can shed some light.. when he does his poo he won't stay in the same room as anybody else. He has to go into a different room to do it?? Is this normal for a 21/2 year old?

Fran1 Mon 28-Feb-05 22:15:22

Yes i think they like the privacy. My dd never ever poos outside the home, not now she is potty trained, and not when she was in nappies. And when she was in nappies she used to go behind the sofa to poo and if you looked at her she' wave her hand in your face! Used to make us laugh cos she makes a lot of grunting noises when pooing and thats all you could hear from behind the sofa.

chipmonkey Tue 01-Mar-05 17:52:31

Zoeln, my ds1 refused to do a poo in the loo till he was nearly 4!!! Eventually we learned to "catch him" doing a poo and plonk him on the potty/toilet. ( parents trained, not the child!).
He's 8 now and when I asked him if he could remember that era, he said he could. I asked if he could remember why he wouldn't poo on the toilet. He shrugged and said " I was just lazy"
Grrrr!!1

tron Fri 04-Mar-05 18:14:43

My ds is like this. he has just turned 3. He has been dry in the days for about 4 months and dry at night for about 2 months but he refuses point blank to do a pooh on the toilet or on the potty or on his 'special seat' (his potty chair). He insist on 'bedtime pants' He then chucks me and dh out of his bedroom while his concentrates on doing his pooh. He then comes to us to say he wants to go and put his pooh in the toilet and make a splash because his bottom is all yucky. He likes to see the pooh, put in the toilets and wave bye as his flushes the chain
He waits until the evening to do it and then doesn't want bedtime pants on for when he actually gets in bed. I even let him come to the toilet with me - he calls me a clever girl for doing my pooh on the toilet but won't do it himself - he has now started following girls at nursery to the toilet and goes in with them to tell them how clever and big they are.
How can I convince him to do his poohs on the toilet??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: