Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Advice needed re Smart nappies vs shaped

(6 Posts)
JudgeyVonHolierthanthou Thu 25-Sep-08 15:09:23

I'd be really grateful for advice from anyone who has more knowledge on this subject than me!

I've just started ds2 (18 wks) in Smart nappies, as I'd read about them and thought they sounded good, and I definitely don't want to go back to disposables. However, I'm not too keen on the Smart nappies - the reusable pads are quite fiddly to put into the outer cover, and it seems a bit pointless having an outer cover that you don't have to change every time because if there's a poo then it leaks really easily and needs changing anyway.

I got told today about shaped nappies called Kooshies, which sounded much better and more practical, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I buy any. I spent quite a bit on the Smart nappies so I'm a bit gutted they don't work so well. Have any of you had experience of the Smart nappies, and do you think they're worth persevering with or should I change to Kooshies or something similar? (I'm guessing there's lots of other shaped nappies of different names?)

Apologies for my rather garbled message - too many questions in my head to set it out any better!

Essie3 Thu 25-Sep-08 15:14:28

How about trying different ones - there are loads of shaped nappies in the classified. Including mine... [evil face emoticon]

hedgehog1979 Thu 25-Sep-08 16:14:14

imo smart nappies are great for wetting, but rubbish with poo. i would second bying 1 or 2 of a lot of different ones.
also does your local council offer a real nappy incdentive scheme? i got free sandys from them which are shaped and awesome again imvho

BigBadMousey Thu 25-Sep-08 19:51:02

A free Sandy's? I'm very envy

Smart nappies not good IME
Kooshies are best kept for the change bag -- they are convenient and easy to use but don't perform well.

If you definitely don't want to go back to disposables then you need to make sure you get the right nappy.

Have a look here for incentive schemes, local trial kits, and advisors etc. Trial kits are fab as you get to try loads of different types without much outlay.

There are also trial kits available online if there is nothing local to you here for eg

Alternatively there are loads of advisors online (some of qhom are MNetters) who can help you choose what is best for YOU smile

hedgehog1979 Fri 26-Sep-08 08:46:29

BBM - not just one - 2 X smalls and 3 smalls, and am now waiting for my next trial pack. Suddenly living in West Sussex has advantages, my SIL lives in Somerset and got no incentives!

BigBadMousey Fri 26-Sep-08 20:21:04

Hedgehog - just had a nose at your profile and we have a few things in common.

However, I am now tripley jealous - you got more than one Sandy's? envy AND your DS has the name I really wanted for my DS sad - I chose it 15 years ago and thought no other name would ever be good enough but DH vetoed it angry.

I was advised against DCs for the same reason as you (and now have 3 - the only time I have ever been cured was when I was pg with my DDs)

.....oh yes and we have the same favourite film smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now