Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What's the nappy rash cream called that everyone always raves about? Mela....Meta....Metela?????

(27 Posts)

Meletonium?

Have tried a search but seeing as I can't spell it am not getting very far.

Baby wild thing has strange re-occuring sore bum, and bepanthen in just not clearing it up.

sweetkitty Wed 24-Sep-08 15:31:04

Metanium

I think thats the spelling it's upstairs

Be warned though it is great but gets on everything and stains

cheesesarnie Wed 24-Sep-08 15:31:55

i love it!works wonders.
have you tried olive oil?

Thanks you're a star, and where do you get it from? Was my other question that I forgot to post.

hotmama Wed 24-Sep-08 15:32:49

metanium - agree with sweetkitty - it is a bugger to get out of carpets etc.

Seems expensive but you only have to use a tiny bit.

Have googled, will try chemists, if not then boots.

Bit hmm that their web site gives washable napies as a cause for nappy rash.

cheesesarnie Wed 24-Sep-08 15:52:48

crap imo.

sammybeth Wed 24-Sep-08 15:53:01

Its brilliant i got it in tesco

sweetkitty Wed 24-Sep-08 15:57:00

Boots or any good chemist ot Tescos

You need the tiniest amount

It won't work on fungal nappy rash though so if it doesn't shift it within a few days worth seeing the GP for antifungal cream.

Seona1973 Wed 24-Sep-08 19:56:07

I found it didnt work on its own. A layer of metanium with a layer of sudocrem on top did work though. I got mine in Morrisons

peachygirl Wed 24-Sep-08 20:01:38

It is brill but sweet kitty is right It won't work on fungal rash, if the rash is bumpy then it could be fungal.

DD has been plagued with this all summer and it's taken three creams to sort her out.

I know you are hmm WTWTA but I think reusables were to blame. I had just started using them.

The HV told me to slap on lots of vaseline when I try them again... Just need to pluck up the courage.

BTW if the rash doesn't go, try the HV as they can prescribe some prescription drugs including creams.

LittleGoo Thu 25-Sep-08 11:53:29

Not sure why anyone would like to use medicated creams like this one. Do you know that all the medicines and added chemicals contained in these creams get absorbed in your baby's body? There are so many natural nappy balms that do a wonderful job.

theSuburbanDryad Thu 25-Sep-08 12:02:34

I found Kamillosan (sp?) was the best stuff for ds' bad bum rash. I used with it a combination of plain zinc oxide cream and it cleared up in no time (washable nappy user, btw).

HTH

LittleGoo I'm open to any suggestions,

Olive oil makes it much worse.

Red clover does not work.

Ditto Organic babies baby balm.

Ditto stuff made by my friend who is an aromatherapist.

Ditto ummmmm many expensive creams in my bathroom drawer upstairs.

Am actually a green diva and well aware that creams are absorbed by babies skin.

But she has been sore for months now and nothing 'natural' is working and I feel very sorry for her poor sore bum.

I think it is probably caused by teething, but I just want it cleared up now.

EffiePerine Thu 25-Sep-08 12:38:32

try canestan if metanium doesn't work

I usually use the hippy organic stuff on DS but for bad cases you need to bring out the metanium/canestan combo

Essie3 Thu 25-Sep-08 15:19:37

Can I rave about the one I use? I swear by it, it's much nicer than sudocrem and seems to fix the nappy rash. I only heard about it because it's made in my home town!!

gwdihw

All natural. I use it as a lip balm (on me!) if I don't have anything else to hand. Mind you, I'm fairly slummy and also use Lansinoh as a lip balm...

LittleWeePickle Fri 03-Oct-08 16:30:37

Try feeding your baby on live yoghurt (bio yoghurt) after every meal - it prevents nappy rash in the first place! Don't buy baby yoghurt, it's more than twice as expensive, just plain white (or flavoured) yoghurt - but it must have live cultures in it.

And avoid tomatoes - my neighbours shock were actually asking me if DS had had an accident one day, because I gave him a dessert-spoon sized dollop of baked beans... blush His bum was on fire after eating that, and anything with even a hint of tomato in it.

You could normally eat your dinner off his sweet wee bumkin tho

LittleWeePickle Fri 03-Oct-08 16:31:18

Like Onken Bio yoghurt, or Yeo Valley, that kinda stuff

Hmmm she has just started having a bit of Yeo Valley (yesterday in fact!)

Thanks for the tip.

WantThisWantThat Fri 03-Oct-08 16:41:27

My DD's nappy rash was really bad, so HV gave me something on prescription which cleared it up really quickly (timodine? - or have I made that up). After that I started using Bapanthen ocasionally throughout the day and always at bedtime and she never had it since. Like Bepanthen as it doesn't stain everything.

midnightexpress Fri 03-Oct-08 16:43:46

Try Weleda - tis fab.

BigTeuchLittleTeuch Fri 03-Oct-08 16:45:59

Egg white

Egg white

Egg white

Egg white

Egg White

I will keep saying it grin

Very effective and very affordable.

LittleWeePickle Fri 03-Oct-08 16:49:59

Do you rub egg white onto bum?

BigTeuchLittleTeuch Fri 03-Oct-08 16:53:51

it is quite gloopy so you kind of slather it on the sore bits then, if possible, waft for a moment or two to let it dry a bit.

This is sometimes easier than trying to spread sticky cream onto nippy-sore bits!!

Lots of bare-bum time is best for sore bums, as well.

LittleWeePickle Mon 06-Oct-08 14:23:12

BTLT - are you a Teuchter? winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now