Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Pocket or two-part nappies?

(42 Posts)
bitofadramaqueen Mon 22-Sep-08 22:01:53

After a few false starts, I've just got my 2 month old DS in cloth nappies. He's currently in size 1 bamboozles with fleece liners and I thought I should start researching options for when he's grown out of those.

I'm a bit of a novice though and would appreciate an advice on advantages/disadvantages of two-part nappies vs pocket nappies. I know a lot of it is down to personal preference but interested in other people's views.

Sorry if this is a topic that has been done to death previously! Once I can figure out what type of nappy might suit I can start researching individual brands...

bitofadramaqueen Tue 23-Sep-08 15:23:09

shameless bump!

DeJaVous Tue 23-Sep-08 15:33:12

Size one Bamboozels are fabulous. The size twos are crap you'd never know they were supposed to be the same nappy, whatever you do don't get them.

My vote would definitely be for two-parters all the way. Bamboo is fantastic and although it's slow to dry the pros outweigh the cons by a long way. If you stick with two-parters and are happy with bamboo, I can highly recommend the Bambeasy by EasyPeasy.

Imo the best nappy stashes are built from a variety of different nappies for ditterent occasions.

Big hemp or bamboo nappies are slow to dry but fantastic for nights or long journeys.

Pre-stuffed pockets are great for the nappy bag when out and about, or for when leaving baby with someone else (or baby's dad hmm grin).

Terries are fast drying so good as back up emergency nappy (though I use terries 90% of the time myself).

I you get a large quantity of one type of nappy and then find you don't get on with them it can be very disapointing.

Try a nappy site like kittykins and get a few of the ones that appeal. Then you can always get more of your fav.

DeJaVous Tue 23-Sep-08 15:41:25

Oh, forgot the important bit...

I prefer two-parters because you finding a pocket that fits well can be difficult. A perfect fit is critical to their effectiveness because there's only one barrier. A pocket that works at x months old wont necessarily work a few months down the line.

Two-parters, although generally less attractive, tend to work well in the long term and are much less prone to leaks.

PUL deteriorates with time, with pockets you need to replace the whole thing when it wears out. With two-parters you only need to replace the wrap.

Some personal faves

Baby beehinds

Ellas House

Itti Bitti

Minki Pockets

Mother Ease wraps

Nature Babies Wraps

Just some ideas, I have used all of these and loved them, I have 3 Minki pockets that have been in constant use for 3 years now and are still going strong.

DeJaVous Tue 23-Sep-08 16:01:36

Motherease wraps are definitely the best. I'm an Airflow (popper) girl myself, but a lot of people swear by the Rikki (aplix).

needaholiday Tue 23-Sep-08 16:22:20

2 parts rock. You can choose the right absorbency for your own baby to go inside as the nappy part, then jazz it up with a fun yet practical nappy cover- pul, wool, fleece, whatever you choose. Pockets either fir or they don't but 2 parts can fit a wider range because of the flexibility of having the nappy part seperate. Try here for some fun wraps that actually work.

bitofadramaqueen Tue 23-Sep-08 19:08:58

Thanks everyone! So general consensus that 2-parts generally best, but pockets good for out and about? Thanks for heads up on size 2 bamboozles dejavous.

DeJaVous Tue 23-Sep-08 22:53:16

THB I've never had any problems using two-parters out and about. Anyway, that's the last time you want to be faffing about with unfamiliar nappies and worrying about leaks!

bitofadramaqueen Wed 24-Sep-08 08:19:54

Good point! I've been getting on ok with the two-parters so far, but had seen lots of chat around pocket nappies so thought I'd better find out if I was missing out on something before purchasing stage 2 nappies! I guess unless any big pocket nappies advocates come along to persuade me otherwise I might just stick with two parters.

Any suggestions on best two part nappies for 6 month plus stage? DS is fairly sturdy, dont think he's a particularly heavy wetter (can go 3 hours between bamboozles) but he hates being wet so we use fleece liners just now. Cant afford frugi all the time so as slim a fit as possible always good.

Thanks for that link too needaholiday - those wraps look fab!

wherethewildthingsare - thanks for all your suggestions, will have a look at those nappies.

DeJaVous Wed 24-Sep-08 09:05:42

IMO Bambeasy are fantastic. They have an integrated fleece liner which forms a sort of pocket were you can add boosting. It makes changing an older wriggly baby much easier. Nippas don't work too well on bamboo IME so the popper version is probably best.

mistlethrush Wed 24-Sep-08 09:18:08

For Nursery from 6mo, we got ds size 2 totsbots - and they lasted through to potty training. We found Nature Babies wraps best for him in terms of fit.

We used Bamboozles at night for the extra absorbency - no problem with fit etc. With a fleece wrap over.

We used prefolds a lot at home, with totsbots for excursions.

At the bottom of this page are wam bamboo nappies for 4.99 each, they are lovely.

DeJaVous Wed 24-Sep-08 09:37:43

The wam bamboo / bambineo / bambinex / geobel (all the same nappy, just keep changing namehmm) are definitely good, they tend to work best on tall slim babies though. The legs are very high cut and they are skimpier across the bum than a lot of nappies.

DeJaVous, are you stalking me? grin

DeJaVous Wed 24-Sep-08 10:03:01

Erm no, it does look a bit that way doesn't it!

Pleased to meet you <proffers hand>.

grin

Glad to make your aquaintence too!

<waves>

DeJaVous Wed 24-Sep-08 12:25:52

grin

<stalk>

bitofadramaqueen Wed 24-Sep-08 15:59:11

He's tall but not slim! Will have a look at the bambeasy dejavous. Any other favourite two parters from anyone?

What are the flexitots like?

Nappyzoneneedssleep Wed 24-Sep-08 19:29:53

Flexitots are really good - if i was a two parter chick i would use flexitots - i have been using mine regularly over night with a small bamboo booster as a precaution and have lasted my nearly 2 yr old well - in answer to your posting wuestion its personal preference - two parters i find bulky but pockets rock my world grin

bitofadramaqueen Wed 24-Sep-08 20:39:11

Thanks nappyzone - tell me why pockets rock for you?

Nappyzoneneedssleep Wed 24-Sep-08 21:52:10

I guess because i am blessed that i have never really had any that have disagreed with my son other than a wonderoo early on but now they are perfect for him at night! They are easy and fun and soo quick drying and i love to stroke minkytimes blush

morocco Wed 24-Sep-08 21:58:49

even if you stick with two parters, i'd recommend a few pocket nappies. partly for cute factor (gorgeous prints from pocketbots/weenotions/happy heiny to name but a few), partly cos they dry really quickly and so make great spares, partly cos they are fab for changing bags. I always take pockets in the changing bag, that way if the wrap dd is wearing gets mucky, it doesn't matter

morocco Wed 24-Sep-08 22:00:06

and one more advantage of pocket nappies is they are easy for novice nappy users to get the hang of. I always give a few to my mum/babysitters etc if I'm leaving dd with anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now