Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Completely lost interest

(9 Posts)
BroccoliSpears Mon 22-Sep-08 12:59:42

Dd is now 2.4.

In June she noticed that most of her friends were using potties and not wearing nappies. We started having to battle and bribe her in to nappies daily. She wanted to wear knickers and use the potty like her friends.

<shrug> I thought she was too young but what the hey, why not let her have a go. We had a week with a few accidents while she got the hang of how it feels to wee and how to hold on, then we were fine. By week 2 bar the odd accident we were sorted. She was so thrilled not to be in nappies.

We have carried on like this for months - the odd wee accident, no poo accidents.

Then suddenly, over the space of a week she completely lost interest. She wees wherever she happens to be (on my bed, in shops, everywhere!) It's almost deliberate - she seems to be going out of her way to wee on the carpet. She'll even take her knickers off and squat down to wee on a chair.

I didn't get cross at all, just told her each time that it's best to do wees in the loo, and involved her in the cleaning up.

Eventually I asked her if she wanted to go back in to nappies. She said yes.

So, she's back in nappies. She stops what she's doing, announces she needs a wee, does it in her nappy and then requests a change. Actually, after a few days of nappies she's reverted to just weeing without really noticing I think. At least she was still requesting the loo for poos, but then this morning I noticed a smell and asked if she needed a poo... no, she'd already done it in her nappy and was cheerfully racing around with a bum full of poo.

If we'd never started on this potty training I wouldn't have the slightest qualm about her still being in nappies. She's only 2.4. The fact that she's had 3 months in knickers is making it really grate a bit to be back changing big smelly pooey bums all squidged everywhere.

She just can't be bothered.
And it's fine to not be bothered at her age, I think.
But I'm irritated.

BroccoliSpears Mon 22-Sep-08 13:01:04

Oh god, that's really long.

For those of you who quite rightly have better things to do than read all that: What's with my 2-year-old going back in to nappies after 3 months of successfully not wearing them?

BroccoliSpears Mon 22-Sep-08 18:41:21

Bump?

I'll make it even shorter if you like: Dd, nappies again, wtf?

grin

mankymummy Mon 22-Sep-08 18:53:45

well has she had any other upsetting change that might make her start doing this?

in any case, im of the "go with the flow" school, if you make her feel bad/guilty/whatever i think that would be bad. why are you irritated, apart of course from you thinking you had it sorted?

BroccoliSpears Mon 22-Sep-08 19:04:37

Can't think of anything that might have upset her.

I would never put any pressure on her not to be in nappies. She's happy so I'm happy.

Am only irritated in a selfish and slightly exasperated way. Have really enjoyed 3 months of not having to change a wriggly 2-year-old's nappy, not having to deal with nappies of real-food poo, saving money on only buying nappies for 1 child.

Is it common to be potty trained and then to revert for no real reason?

ches Tue 23-Sep-08 03:25:54

I don't think it's common, no. But all children go through weird phases which are typically short lived. Does she have a new friend who is in nappies? Can she make a new friend who is in knickers?

BroccoliSpears Tue 23-Sep-08 14:09:00

No, all her friends are in knickers. A fair few of them quite obviously potty training (mothers carry potties with them everywhere and ask them if they need a wee every 10 minutes wink).

Sigh.

Is it laziness? I think laziness is the wrong word, but it is certainly more convenient for her not to have to go to the loo when required. Big poo and wee in nappy while having lunch at a cafe today.

I suppose I have to either decide to actively encourage her back out of nappies, or I have to let her decide when she's ready. Again. hmm

VandT Fri 26-Sep-08 08:44:40

I am having exactly the same experience with my DS (2.2). He initiated potty training (others at his nursery were doing it) and was brilliant for the first few weeks but has now taken to doing exactly the same as your DD - peeing in the floor and telling us when he's doing it, on the sofa etc and it does seem that he's lost interest/ sometimes doing it on purpose. Have resorted to pull ups and like you, i'm not bothered for his sake as hes very young, but have to admit I find it really irritating/ frustrating when I KNOW he can do it!
Sorry - no advice, I'm thinking we'll keep in pull ups for a few months then start again with enthusiasm with the pants when he's a bit older....

NellyTheElephant Fri 26-Sep-08 14:28:55

Why don't you have a chat with her and discuss that next week she is going to go back to wearing knickers again. Talk about it a lot with much enthusiasm. Go through the whole rigmorole of buying her a new set of pants with her favourite characters etc and set a day when you are going to start. Each day remind her that in x no of days she'll be back in pants - how exciting etc, sorry she can't start today, but not long to wait now. Then when D-day arrives resort to lots of bribery (chocolate buttons worked a treat for my DD at this age). I gave her a chocolate button every time she did a wee and two (or a whole bloody packet) if she managed a poo. She'd squeeze out any number of wees in a day to get chocolate. After a week I stopped mentioning the chocolate but would always give it to her after a successful potty use if she remembered to ask (usually she's forget). After a couple of weeks I'd only give her a choc button after supper if she'd had a good day.

If she starts reverting again after a couple of months reintroduce the chocolate - or lots of stickers (they get much more into sticker charts around 2 and a half I seem to remember).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now