Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Complains from others about al fresco weeing...

(20 Posts)
LittleDorrit Sun 21-Sep-08 21:49:36

Ok, so maybe this belongs more in the AIBU, but just wanted to get views and some sympathy...
DD, nearly 2.5, has been potty trained for about 2 months. Anyway, we spend a lot of time out and about, and whenever we are in a cafe, etc. I always make sure she uses the toilet. But I also carry with me one of those portable pottete things, with the disposable bag.
Yesterday we were at our local playground. It's always full of toddlers and I have always seen other parents changing nappies there, and also sometimes toddlers doing discreet wees in the bushes. Anyway, we were there yesterday, and DD needed a wee - my stroller (with pottete) was on the other side, quite a long walk away, and so I decided to just quickly take DD to the side, under a tree. Two minutes later the park attendant walked up to me and told me that someone had just complained about me letting DD do that ! I guess I was just really surprised by that... There are some toilets there but they are not that clean. Today we were back at the same playground, and DD suddenly announced she needed a poo. Taking her to the toilet was not an option because she can't poo on an adult toilet (she needs to be comfortably seated IYKWIM). So I took her to a really secluded area behind lots of bushes and she was sitting on the pottete, with her dress covering it, but the whole time I was feeling really stressed that someone would see us and complain !!!
Sorry, just has to get that off my chest... Being a parent is pretty hard I think, and just when I think I am doing well, it always seems to turn out that in fact I am doing the wrong thing, and annoying/offending other people.

luckylady74 Sun 21-Sep-08 21:56:10

Imo you were fine - I always think that dogs wee every where so if needs must why not small children? Adults doing it is against the law, but small children are fine! My 3 had 3 wees between them in the woods today (2 mile walk from loos - what else could they do?).

Bladee Sun 21-Sep-08 21:58:48

Just look at dog walkers...... if it's OK for dogs then it's ok for us!!!! grin

LittleDorrit Sun 21-Sep-08 22:41:14

Thanks !
Funny you should both mention dogs, as that immediately came to my mind too ! But obviously dogs have more rights... hmm

harpomarx Sun 21-Sep-08 22:43:36

what sort of freak would complain about a small child weeing by a tree????

moondog Sun 21-Sep-08 22:54:19

How did u dispose fo the pooh?

madrose Sun 21-Sep-08 23:02:32

last summer - four friends and I potty-trained our dds in the park, five pottys in a line and little girls running about in knickers, silly people.

LittleDorrit Mon 22-Sep-08 10:12:12

Moondog - the pottete has a special disposal bag, so I just tied the bag securely and then just put it in the bin. (Don't worry, would never just deposit a poo on the grass somewhere - that would be gross !!! shock)

moondog Mon 22-Sep-08 17:02:35

ACTUALLy, putting it in the bin is even more gross.
OMG!

CookieMonster2 Mon 22-Sep-08 17:17:58

Its only like putting a dirty nappy in a nappy bag and then putting that in the bin. The portable potty bags are just like nappy bags, but I'm afraid they are so expensive I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

Bluebutterfly Mon 22-Sep-08 17:22:34

moondog don't be absurd. Why is it more gross? Explain? Is there anything hygienic about a bin anyway?

DorisIsAPinkDragon Mon 22-Sep-08 17:39:14

Nappy sack and sani pad make fine replacments for potette

Yanda Mon 22-Sep-08 18:07:22

Lol how is putting a wrapped up poo in the bin even more gross than leaving it on the grass?

moondog Mon 22-Sep-08 19:05:32

untreated shit shouldn't be put in the bin. it belongs in a bog.

Yanda Mon 22-Sep-08 19:40:45

Ah but that doesn't make it even "more" gross than leaving it on the grass. If you are a clothie user or a dispie flicker then I understand your POV that it should be put in a toilet and not on the grass or in the bin.

noonki Mon 22-Sep-08 19:59:07

bin is absolutely fine

LittleDorrit Mon 22-Sep-08 21:06:31

Moondog - I am confused - I am not sure what one is supposed to do with poo/poo nappies in that case? blush (Even when at home, the whole scraping off the nappy thing never really worked for me, without going into too much graphic detail.)
What about people with dogs, who carry those little bags for picking up the dog poo - they don't take them home ! Sometimes there are special bins for those but not always.
Sorry to be gross, but what about tampons/sanitary towels - surely people put those in the bin???

luckylady74 Mon 22-Sep-08 21:25:05

On the rare occasion I have had to dispose of poo in a carrier bag I have put it in a dog poo bin - that's ok isn't it? I have dug a hole on hillside during an illconceived walk up a hill with a 2 yr old.

moondog Mon 22-Sep-08 22:36:31

Shit can be broekn up in a sewrage system. It can't if left to fester in a polythene bag in a bin, whether it is dog or baby stuff.

Obv. sanitary protection can't.Blood is not the smae as shit.

LittlePushka Mon 22-Sep-08 22:57:18

I think that presumably the people who complained were obviously born continent.

I can only assume that the complainants have not ever had the pleasure of early potty training. Fair enough not to use park as a toilet when LO's are fully trained and capable of giving a little notice between the announcement and the deed itself... but honey, we all got to start somewhere!

I would also say that I own dogs too. I do not see the problem really. I have pickd up poo (dog and toddler) in bags and taken it home if there are no dog waste bins. Gross? No, not really,..you pick it up with a bagged hand, tie the bag and double bag it. Doesnt kill you it never touches you.

I hope that you continue to do what you need to do to get your DD happily trained wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now