Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Love them but my fluffles are starting to smell. Any ideas why?

(8 Posts)
Bouncyminky Sun 21-Sep-08 16:20:31

I've had my dd (19 months) in fluffles with motherflow wraps since birth but they have started to smell in the last few months.

I wash them at 60 degrees with a small amount of detergent and napisan and then a couple spoonfuls of vinegar in the conditioner compartment. A couple of months ago they were after a while of being on her starting to give off a vinegar smell, so we reduced the amount of vinegar in the wash. Now she has a faint eau de wee thing going on. Is there anything I can do to stop this or is it normal?

CarGirl Sun 21-Sep-08 16:32:33

Using napisan and 60 degrees every wash is probably killing them tbh!!!!!

Do you do a cold rinse/pre-wash before you wash them?

Wet pailing does seem to help getting rid of the wee smell, it's the amonia in their wee as they get older my dds all had stinky wee!!! Also I think the synthetic fibre seems to hold it more than the natural fibres IME.

Bouncyminky Sun 21-Sep-08 17:28:22

I don't do a cold wash. Does that help? Oh what does the napisan plus 60 degrees do? I don't want them to die!

pinkmagic1 Sun 21-Sep-08 17:40:13

Wash them in a highly scented biological washing powder at 60 degrees, then wash again in your normal fashion. This seems to do the trick.

isaidno Sun 21-Sep-08 17:46:35

A cold rinse gets most of the wee out before the wash, so you are not washing them in smelly water iykwim

CarGirl Sun 21-Sep-08 17:49:34

Napisan is quite toxic, it disentergrated my soaking bucket (for flannels, filthy clothes - never put my nappies in it)

Bouncyminky Sun 21-Sep-08 19:59:11

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll try the cold wash and if that doesn't do the trick then I'll try the washing powder.

Can you suggest any particularly highly scented washing powder?

I thought napisan was supposed to make them cleaner. Might only use it for bad stains I think - maybe that wasn't helping with the smell?

pinkmagic1 Mon 22-Sep-08 09:54:52

I've used one in a bright pink box, seem to think its surf essential oils.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now