Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

potette?

(16 Posts)
loveshopping Sat 20-Sep-08 22:22:54

has anyone used one of these potettes? Despite good reviews and Mother & Baby awards I would rather have reviews from mumsnet mums. It says it comes with a travel bag and am thinking it would be great to take out and about for DD.

Bowddee Sat 20-Sep-08 22:29:33

Absolutely brilliant. Still have ours in the car.

And the liners make very good sick bags.

Twiga Sat 20-Sep-08 22:31:04

We've got a Mothercare potette, it's been great. Dd just turned 3 and still using ocasionaly when we're out and about, saved us from an accident on the bus recently and has been great if pub lavs have been yuky - she's auite discerning/picky and won't even entertain a toilet that looks even a bit grubby! Found paticularly good at initial stages when out and about and dd not quite able to hang on long enough to find a toilet.

Is refered to in our house as "the little travelling potty" which is exactly what it's great for - only time it's back fired is when dh thought it would be cute to sit her on the drivers seat so she could pee and "drive" the car at the same time in the early days and she missed grin - needless to say he tried to palm the driving off on me at that point!

On-going cost of bags is a bit on the steep side £2.99 for 10 in mothercare but if strictly using for out and about not too bad.

CarGirl Sat 20-Sep-08 22:33:07

use a nappy bag with cheapo sanitary towel in the bottom, cheaper than buying the proper bags and do the job.

Orinoco Sat 20-Sep-08 22:33:41

Message withdrawn

BirdyArms Sat 20-Sep-08 22:48:55

We have one and havent used it much but when we have it's been invaluable. Better then lugging a potty around when you're in the first stages of potty training. Now ds1 has better bladder control but we occasionally use it for no 2's in our local park which doesn't have toilets.

Jic Sat 20-Sep-08 22:51:17

i would definitely reccomend the potette but also find the bags quite pricey especially as ive just trained my dd so im using it quite a bit, was just wondering which nappy bags to buy instead of the potette bags because ive tried a regular nappy bag and it didn't fit/ Are there any bigger ones available?

BevB Sun 21-Sep-08 11:44:47

I had some cotton lined PUL bags made especially for the potette with DD1 as DD2 was tiny and they just went in with the cloth nappies, I used a booster cloth in the bottom and took paper liners for easy disposal of poo. I will soon be using them for DD2 while #3 is tiny and then #3 eventually so definately getting my moneys worth out of them grin The only down side of the potette was it wasn't very high at the front and DD1 would sometimes wee over the front and catch her knickers.

LIZS Sun 21-Sep-08 11:51:31

Sorry I think they're hideous. Someone used one with her probably 3 yr old dd2 right in front of us in a queue at Disneyland Paris a few weeks ago - even though the queue was moving very slowly and a nearby toilet would have been easily accessible within the tme it took to set up without her losing the place since her dh/dp was also on hand. I guess they have their uses when travelling but really are not a substitute for perfectly good facilities ! We had a fold up toilet seat for our 2, not that dd used it, and very rarely had an accident en route to the nearest toilet.

Yanda Sun 21-Sep-08 14:48:06

My DD didn't like hers at all, she refused to sit on it at all. I'm guessing she didn't think it looked big enough for her as she has preferred the toilet or a really big potty. Our one isn't the plus one though so I could see the advantage of that as a toilet seat.

PortAndLemon Sun 21-Sep-08 14:56:01

Marvellous -- we only used it for a few weeks / couple of months tops but it was invaluable in that time. Yes, not a substitute for perfectly good facilities, but when DS was just starting to potty train when he needed to go he needed to go RIGHT THEN, or within about 60 seconds tops. Very few places IME have perfectly good facilities within 60 seconds' radius. In that regard, when packing it away always put in a new bag before you fold it down, so that it's immediately ready for action just by having the legs popped up. The cost of bags wasn't an issue for us as we used the three it came with, bought a refill pack of ten, but didn't finish all of those.

nannyL Sun 21-Sep-08 20:31:39

i think they are great for emegancies

Ous lives in our out and about rucksack with suncream / clothes etc and all the stuff we carry about just in case

havent used it much, but the times we have i have been so pleased... saved a few public accidents

loveshopping Sun 21-Sep-08 20:42:03

Thanks for all the advice, I knew I would find it on here.

CookieMonster2 Mon 22-Sep-08 17:22:18

Good tip about the nappy bags and panty liners. Had already thought of that but wondered if people might think I was a bit mad?
Where do you get large nappy bags from? The ones I get are quite small and wouldn't go over the potty.

Orinoco Mon 22-Sep-08 18:16:15

Message withdrawn

amidaiwish Mon 22-Sep-08 18:21:24

potette is brilliant
my 2 DDs are past potty training but i still have it in the car and bring it with me if we are going somewhere without a toilet, like the park.

much more useful after potty training than during it imo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now