Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DH says no to new nappies so it's Prefolds or Disposables

(44 Posts)
iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 20:17:54

I had shaped nappies for the first 3 months but then the size 1's didn't fit. DH not convinced on real nappies and says as we were given about a million prefolds and wraps we must use those or keep using disposables. Am trying to do newspaper(?) fold with nippas, but they are just not as good IMO. Any tips? Have loads of boosters but still just seems unsatisfactory. DS is now nearly 6 months and tall and slim with yummy chubby legs.

thisisyesterday Thu 18-Sep-08 20:23:20

could you sell the prefolds and buy some more secondhand ones?

does your local council offer any real nappy incentives?

I have to say that in your situation I would ask DH who was going to be doing the most nappy changing? if it's you then YOU get to decide what you use

BreeVanderCampLGJ Thu 18-Sep-08 20:25:41

Tell your DH to go forth and multiply. Fuck Off

Jesus Christ, who does he think he is ??angry

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 18-Sep-08 20:26:04

So we have always used pre-folds.
I turn the top down by about 2 inches then fold in the sides and tuck it together to make like a large sanitary pad
I place it inside the wrap with a paper liner on top to catch poo.

I have never tried any other fold so can't comment on how you are currently doing it.

I have really enjoyed using them. perhaps keep trying for a bit?

TheProvincialLady Thu 18-Sep-08 20:28:23

So either you spend a load of money on disposables or you spend no money at all on decent nappies? Tell your DH to stop being an arse.

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 20:30:56

It's more that we have "perfectly good" ones to use and we are saving for a house. Only ever have Sainsbury/Tesco dispos. Have accepted that I will never have scrummy minkis and bamboo lovelies...just trying to make this work, please.

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 20:32:28

Thanks, Greyskull. Am prepared to try. How do you keep your nappies on their shelf/in their drawer/whatever? Do you keep them already folded and ready to go?

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 20:34:56

Council gave us £35 towards first lot and have to have more kids for further help. I think he is also slightly wary as the size 1's we got promised to last til 20 pounds/9 months and they soooo didn't.

thisisyesterday Thu 18-Sep-08 20:35:21

but you could flog them and buy second hand ones? it wouldn't be that expensive.

I actually use prefolds to stuff my minkis and fuzzi bunz,. so if you could get the outers cheap you can use the prefolds still as well

Ceolas Thu 18-Sep-08 20:37:42

There are a few people on her only using prefolds. If you want to make it work, I'm sure you can.

Moondog and cappuccino I believe are prefold old-hands. There are others but I can't remember names. If you do a search for prefolds you'll come up with a real mixed bag of advice

DeJaVous Thu 18-Sep-08 20:41:51

How much does a pack of disposables cost? Could you not save the cash disposables would cost at the rate you would get through them IYSWIM?

It's a slow way of building up a stash, but it is a way...

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 20:43:30

Anyone know what to buy? I bought little lambs size 1's and he outgrew them so quickly. Can't imagine they're worth much. Have a few Tots Bots (1's) but they seem pretty similar size-wise. I guess if I could somehow replace them with better it might be ok. Am trying for baby number 2 from next month, so guess is long-term investment.

thisisyesterday Thu 18-Sep-08 20:47:16

ahh well you see not all nappies fit all babies.

ds1 and 2 are both long and fairly slim. they grew out of the tots bots heightwise long before they grew out of them widthwise. they were like hipster nappies lol.

it really does depend on the cut of the nappy and the shape of the child.

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 20:48:18

Disposables cost 7.5p each if we're having a tough week and 14p otherwise...

DeJaVous Thu 18-Sep-08 20:48:24

I'm afraid they do grow out of size ones very quickly. You'd probably be best getting some muslins to use at first and then moving into a birth to potty nappy.

Easypeasy nappies are fantastic. I can't recommend them highly enough.

thisisyesterday Thu 18-Sep-08 20:49:14

some bargains on twinkleontheweb

nappy nations are good, and only £6

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 20:49:30

Any suggestions for tall thin lovely boys?(with still podgy legs!)

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 20:50:45

Will go spend hours looking...Thanks ladies!

thisisyesterday Thu 18-Sep-08 20:51:10

or how about the diddy diapers

ches Thu 18-Sep-08 20:51:53

You would be surprised what used nappies go for. wink

TheProvincialLady Thu 18-Sep-08 20:52:04

You could either divorce your DH on the grounds of his unreasonable behaviourwink or you could ask for nappies on Freecycle? Or ask a friend to lend you some one size nappies to see how you get on. My DS has been in Onelife (same as Motherease) since birth and he is now 24m and they still work beautifully.

DeJaVous Thu 18-Sep-08 20:52:08

Blimey at those prices (disposables) you'll be able to get a nappy or wrap a week shock

Sorry, but your DH needs his head examining wink

Use the prefolds while you save up (selling any excess NOW) and sell the rest when your stash is build up. You'll have turned a profit before DC2 even arrives!

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 20:54:42

Our local freecycle is a bloodbath! That's where I got the prefolds, though. Am going to go and research and sneakily sell rubbish LL before going forward. OOOH shopping to be done...

DeJaVous Thu 18-Sep-08 20:56:01

MN is SO slow her tonight...
Classically tall, slim and chubby legs = Bambineo/Bambinex/Geobel (they change their name every five minutes).

THB I stand by the Easypeasy nappies, love the Bambeasy in particular.

thisisyesterday Thu 18-Sep-08 20:56:17

mwahahahhahahahahahaha
it's a slippery slope. there are just so many lovely nappies out there. I have far too many but can't bring myself to sell them yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now