Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty training - how do u leave the house???

(8 Posts)
llynnnn Wed 17-Sep-08 21:27:31

we have been trying potty training for a couple of weeks now, but everytime we go out (other than visiting family/friends) we put dd in pull ups. I'm sure this is confusing her, but surely i cant take the potty with me everywhere and expect her to use in the middle of the shopping centre or park or tesco! she is very private even at home i have to leave the room!! and also she doesnt yet tell me in enough time to get her to a toilet if they are ANY distance away!

Am I doing the right thing? she was doing really well at home, until a stomach bug, but i know she can do it and am pretty sure shes ready but is it only if we resign ourselves to staying at home??!!

Any tips v v v much appreciated!

nannyL Wed 17-Sep-08 21:56:32

Use pampers mats instead... you can line the buggy / car seat etc with them and a portable travel potty...

just take extra clothes / extra mats / potty / use toilets whenever you have the chance and get on with it

it gets better and easier very quickly

specialmagiclady Wed 17-Sep-08 22:05:25

I'm afraid I took the potty everywhere for the first... ooh ... few weeks, anyway.

Also, I tried to go places where it wouldn't be that important if he peeed everywhere, like toddler groups etc.

And for the first week, we didn't go out, we just stayed at home until he'd got it right a few times. Then gradually we upped the amount we went out.

But basically, he pissed and shat his way round Bristol for several weeks.

I took Terry Nappies to mop up with - they're so absorbent and you can use them wet or dry or under bum in car seat or whatever.

Also, getting the child into habit of wee before you go whether you need or not is probably a good idea.

And if we were going somewhere that he realy wanted - like soft play - I would tell him we'd go home if he had an accident. Then go if he did.

specialmagiclady Wed 17-Sep-08 22:05:32

I'm afraid I took the potty everywhere for the first... ooh ... few weeks, anyway.

Also, I tried to go places where it wouldn't be that important if he peeed everywhere, like toddler groups etc.

And for the first week, we didn't go out, we just stayed at home until he'd got it right a few times. Then gradually we upped the amount we went out.

But basically, he pissed and shat his way round Bristol for several weeks.

I took Terry Nappies to mop up with - they're so absorbent and you can use them wet or dry or under bum in car seat or whatever.

Also, getting the child into habit of wee before you go whether you need or not is probably a good idea.

And if we were going somewhere that he realy wanted - like soft play - I would tell him we'd go home if he had an accident. Then go if he did.

pscc Wed 17-Sep-08 22:08:50

Hiya, it is difficult- but when training my daughter I took her potty every where with us it is annoying- I ended up forgetting it at our toddler groups or in the car but it only lasted for about 3 days and then she was fine. I never used the pull up- I agree it is confusing for them. A tip someone gave me for the car seat/buggy was line it with a plastic carrier bag- nice and cheap! Anyway, probably bored you- this is my first time on mumsnet and think it is great! Good luck with the rest of you pt time!

llynnnn Thu 18-Sep-08 10:13:04

thanks for all your replies. so did you all actually sit them on the potty in the middle of a shopping centre? i hate the thought of lots of people looking disgusted at me!! blush

thanks for all the suggestions, and good to hear it wont last forever!!

Yanda Thu 18-Sep-08 12:13:34

I also have a very private DD if we are out an about and so she refuses to use the potty anywhere but in an actual toilet which I suppose is the idea. Its funny because she is not great at telling me when we are at home, but excellent when we are out and we don't take a potty, we just use the toilets. So I'm just careful that we have access to some toilets, I make her pee before we go out and then if we come across some toilets I will ask her if she needs to use them.

pscc Thu 18-Sep-08 20:20:27

Yeh- I did, the only people who look on in disgust are people who dont have kids and do not know what it is like or old people who have forgotten what it is like! But I am not a shy person so if anyone says anything or gives me a dirty look I will say something (I sound horrible- dont I), but I just think it is hard enough to do basic things- like go shopping with kids AND have to worry about the toilet aswell. Other mums are understanding, if you are brave enough I would'nt worry about other people! I would'nt mind if I saw a mum doing the same!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now