Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Day4 of potty training - what a nightmare day!!! shall I give up?

(14 Posts)
Blaggingit Wed 17-Sep-08 19:08:08

Ok - helpful advice needed! Been training ds for 4 days (trying loosely the GF way) and today has been a bloody nightmare! He is 2yrs 4months with all the "signs" that he is ready but still seems to have no idea when to tell me he is weeing or pooing. I have caught a lot but not through his help. He does look a little forlorn when he pees his pants but it hasn't stopped him doing it again. Should I give up? Really really don't want to as have taken a week off work to do this and am not sure when I can take another week. HELP!!

mankymummy Wed 17-Sep-08 19:10:10

IMHO it sounds like he's not ready. he's still very young.

what are all the signs that make you think he is ready. if he has no idea when to tell you he's weeing or pooing i would say he is def. not ready. he needs to be able to tell in advance and be able to communicate that he needs to go.

notnowbernard Wed 17-Sep-08 19:10:43

What 'signs' does he have if he is unable to tell you verbally that he needs a wee or a poo?

Blaggingit Wed 17-Sep-08 19:16:48

his communication skills are excellent and he has been telling me for ages when he has done a poo in his nappy (so straight after he has done it). He is happy to sit on the potty and for the first few days would perform on the potty when I sat him on it. He can pull pants down (up is a little harder!). For the first 3 days of training, he has been waking from his nap dry and he understands that he needs to tell me before he does a wee - he just doesn't seem to actually do it! he is quite a strong willed child however and I know this is an extra hurdle when potty training!

skyatnight Wed 17-Sep-08 19:18:42

No, you're over the worst now. It's always darkest before the dawn. Really!! grin

notnowbernard Wed 17-Sep-08 19:19:27

I don't think he sounds ready

For me, saying "I need a wee" or "I need a poo" vouluntarily, and looking for a toilet or a potty indicates readiness

Plus must be able to pull up own trousers and pants independently, else you are doing the toiletting, essentially!

ChacunaSonGout Wed 17-Sep-08 19:22:32

stick with it another couple of days and you are done

ds is 2.6 dry day and night - no 'signs' just bit bullet

Blaggingit Wed 17-Sep-08 19:26:59

Thanks for the advice - I've got the rest of the week off so want to keep going until Sunday at least. Also, next baby is due early next year and definately don't want to be doing this with 2 kids around!! Any other words of advice to encourage him to tell me when he needs to go? Or does it just happen?

notnowbernard Wed 17-Sep-08 19:32:46

He's still young, though. Loads of time if it doesn't work

I have experience of wetting-and-couldn't-give-a-toss dd1 who became EVEN WORSE on arrival of dd2 grin

Good luck

yummymummy1405 Wed 17-Sep-08 19:34:44

Aaaarrrggghh at people always thinking other peoples children are not ready!!! Sorry needed to vent blush

You sound like you are doing really well nearly 3 weeks into training ds around the same age he is 90% dry unless he is tired but does not ask for a wee or a poo he takes himself or starts fiddling lol keep at it for a week or 2 then if u need to look at it again although i fond after 2 weeks the idea of going back to nappy horrendous as he had come so far. Good luck it sounds as though you are both doing a great job.

yummymummy1405 Wed 17-Sep-08 19:35:43

Eek stupid wireless keyboard did not pick up on ,,,, or ..... the spelling is all me tho sad

notnowbernard Wed 17-Sep-08 19:37:10

Yummymummy, hold onto your hat

And re-read the OP!

skyatnight Wed 17-Sep-08 19:37:17

dd didn't tell me when she wanted to go but, after she wet herself a few times, it just clicked with her and she went herself. She was 3.1 though. As you have the time now, I would persevere until the end of the week (unless he is getting very upset about it). If it doesn't fall into place with him, let it go for now and tell him you and he can try again in a little while.

Blaggingit Wed 17-Sep-08 19:37:29

thanks everyone for your help - I am convinced that I need to keep going for at least 4 more days and then maybe take stock if no improvement by then. Cheers again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now