Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

day 1 of potty training - please tell me if this sounds typical?

(11 Posts)
deaconblue Wed 17-Sep-08 06:49:05

ds is 2 and 4 months and we started potty training yesterday. He did 6 wees and a poo in the potty and 4 wees in his pants. This seems pretty good to me but he doesn't seem to have any idea when he's done a wee. He is happy to sit on the potty for ages but it's me who notices when there's something in it and he seems surprised when he stands up. Is this to be expected? Will it take a few days for him to understand what it feels like to wee in the potty?

seeker Wed 17-Sep-08 06:54:23

Sounds too early. I would go back to nappies until he really knows when he's done a pee and can tell you when he's going to do one.He's very young!

yummymummy1405 Wed 17-Sep-08 08:54:51

NO YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!!!!

Day 1 of potty with us, we started in the afternoon so before bedtime we had about 2 and hlaf hours worth. We got through 8 pairs of pants Now a week later my ds takes himself to the potty 90% of the time for poo and wee. fromwhat you have said you and ds are both doing a wonderful job do not give up if you are happy with it. People on here told me i was doing it too early thank god I didnt listen!

mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 09:12:49

My DS is 2.3YO he has no interest in sitting on a potty and doesnt seem to understand pees and poos TBH I think he seems a bit behind when it comes to all this although everything else is fine.

Anyone got any tips on how to encourage this? I'd love him to be ut of nappies by 2.5 but if not then so be it.

ajm200 Wed 17-Sep-08 09:15:41

My DS was like that at first. He could tell me that he needed a wee and that he was wet but was easily distracted by games/toys/TV and wouldn't bother to stop to use the potty or would sit around wet if he meant that the didn't have to stop what he was doing.

Keep going, to get so many wees and a poo on the potty on the first day is great

Yanda Wed 17-Sep-08 10:17:01

Well, there seems to be two schools of thought on potty training on here - you either train them to use the toilet which is teaching them to use the toilet or the potty and they learn gradually to use it and ask for it and so on, which seems possible from 2 onwards but you have to put up with lots of accidents and alot of time and they will eventually get it. You can do this the cold turkey way or the pull up/training pants way. The other school of thought seems to be that you wait until they can tell you they are weeing in a nappy and then you go for it and it takes a lot less time. Isn't the saying start at 2 and finish at 3, start at 3 and finish at 3? So if you are happy for it to take a bit of time and to clean up a few accidents then go for it. If you are not or you or DC is getting stressed then go for the later approach. There is no right answer, its a process that you and your DC goes through.

My experience is that I have used toilet timing to our advantage and now at 2.2 my DD has learnt to ask for a wee or a poo. Yes, we have accidents sometimes, but that doesn't bother me and we are only three weeks in. I'm a subscriber to the gradually let them learn approach so there is no pressure and we are both happy. I think that you are doing fantastically so keep it up if you are happy to take the rough with the smooth of starting at this age!

seeker Wed 17-Sep-08 10:18:09

Why the rush? Wait until they can ask. Then do it in 10 minutes!

Yanda Wed 17-Sep-08 10:36:15

Why is it a rush Seeker? Its not a rush, its just gradually teaching. Potty training is not an all or nothing affair. We used toilet timing and this meant that we could use the toilet sometimes. It meant we used less nappies or washed less nappies. It made DD feel very proud of herself. There is no rush in the sense of putting on pressure. Three weeks later she is asks for poos and wees. She has an occasional accident. Putting her into a nappy was very stressful, it was putting on alot of pressure for both of us. She didn't want to wear them anymore, she wanted to do what mummy and daddy did. Taking her to the toilet and teaching her to use it has made everything more relaxed.

I don't oppose your approach seeker, but I don't agree with the one size fits all method of potty training. I'm sure that there are some MNnetters on here who have waited and waited until they can no longer squeeze their DCs into a nappy and then still had to take the same approach as we are doing with our just over 2 year olds. I don't think there is a right way to potty train, but please don't say that we are toilet training because we are in a rush, its a blinkered view.

ajm200 Wed 17-Sep-08 10:50:43

After the first few days the number of accidents does really drop off and it is so much easier than dealing with loads of nappies.

DS was completely dry during the day in July and was starting to be dry at night but we've has a nightmare month with loads of changes for him and he is on strike at the mo. Insisting he is a baby but we'll get there again, I'm just picking my battles a mo so will give him a few days before really pushing it again.

deaconblue Wed 17-Sep-08 16:30:29

ok have ditched it as h he was crying every time we tried to put him on the potty, actually refused a chocolate button and asked for his nappy. Will try again in a few months I think. Thanks for advice though

ches Thu 18-Sep-08 02:30:20

I love the gradual method. Started at 14 months, finished at 18.5 months. Hardly any puddles on the floor. (It's only an accident if you're not prepared with nappy/pull-up/stuffed undies. grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now