Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Prob done a million times before - but please help- was I right to put dd back into nappies??

(17 Posts)
lilymolly Tue 16-Sep-08 14:27:06

DD been potty training since April when she was 2.4.
Wees great no problems
Poos - well thats another story
she started ok ish hmm but for the last 2 months we have had constant pooing in knickers at least 7 times a day (on days when she poos) the poos are very soft, and small in quantity. but its driving me insane and also unfair to ask childminder/grandparents to constantly clean dirty knickers.
She does do larger poos in nappy over night.

TBH me and DP started losing temper with her and shouting (through pure frustration) blush I know that was wrong btw sad

Not sure is she is storing them up because she has an aversion to pooing on toilet, or if she is constipated and just leaking iyswim?

GP prescribed lactulose yesterday and I have put her back in pull ups- still treating these like knickers, i,e wees on toilet etc and she has no aversions to doing this- no wees in nappy yet and still acting as if she has knickers on.

on the Plus side, its easier to deal with poos, as we just throw them away.

Have I done the correct or am i going back a stage??
please advise or tell me I am doing the right thing sad

lilymolly Tue 16-Sep-08 15:00:03

TheArmadillo Tue 16-Sep-08 15:02:04

Seems like a good idea to me as you don't want her getting issues with pooing - but she's still weeing on toilet. she's only little and you have plenty of time so I'd leave it a few months, carrying on with what you are doing and then start again.

ches Tue 16-Sep-08 15:10:32

Sounds like a good plan as you're not holding her back in the progress she's already made in potty training. Good luck.

lilymolly Tue 16-Sep-08 18:45:44

Thanks
come on girls a bit more moral support from the evening crew smile

footiechick Tue 16-Sep-08 19:02:05

Hi
Afraid i haven't got any answers to this, but going through a simialr thing.

DS is 2.5 and has been weeing in potty fine for few months and during day time naps too. So i decided to put him in pants and he was keen. There have been no poo accidents but I'm sure he's holding his poo in. He didn't have a poo for 4 days last week and before all this used to go every day.

We have no accidents cos he asks for a nappy on for a poo, although he doesn't always have one in the end.

Just wondered what people thought - wondered whether to go back to nappies full time for a bit, or whether to just say no nappies and help/make(!) him to see it's ok to poo on the potty.

TBH i think prob is cos he poos standing up with a nappy on and doesn't like the feeling sitting down. The other day he said (clutching his bum and looking in pain) - "i sat on some rocks" (we were at home!)

Anyway, sorry not to be helpful, but thought i'd add this to the mix!

lilymolly Wed 17-Sep-08 09:36:35

Ok Please someone else come along and tell me I am doing the right thing and that it will all get better sad

SoupDragon Wed 17-Sep-08 09:41:29

you are doing the right thing. I would say she isn't quite ready for potty training (otherwise she wouldn't still be "training" 5 months on). eg. BabyDragon is 2.7 and it took about a week for her to be reliably trained. I would now say she's potty trained.

The situation you describe is the only time I think pull ups help potty training as they're a half way house between nappies and knickers. both DSs had 1 failed attempt at training followed by a couple of months in pull ups before actually being trained.

SoupDragon Wed 17-Sep-08 09:42:18

Oh, BabyDragon had a 1st attempt at training back in May and she was utterly clueless. We went straight back to ordinary nappies after 3 days.

emwi Wed 17-Sep-08 09:46:52

Hi Lilymolly

Yes, you're doing the right thing. It will take the pressure off you and her while her bowels get sorted out!

funkybumps Wed 17-Sep-08 09:47:22

If she's frequently pooing in her knickers it sounds like she may not yet realise she's aware she's doing a poo. Before the age of 3 the bowel is sometimes not mature enough for her to be able to control it just yet. I think you've done completely the right thing by putting her back in nappies. Does she ever say she needs a poo at all ?

lilymolly Wed 17-Sep-08 09:50:58

Never says she needs a poo.

99% of the time she asks to go for a wee and goes to toilet on her own with no problems.

She tells me after the poo and asks to be changed.
I am convinced she has no control over these leaks of poo.

lilymolly Wed 17-Sep-08 09:53:01

So the issue I have is that she is trained for wees just not poos.

So as long as I treat the nappies as knickers as far as the weeing is concerned and tell her wees are for the toilet and not in the nappy then maybe we are not taking a step back just a step to the side hmm

funkybumps Wed 17-Sep-08 09:55:00

yes it does sound like she doesn't have the bowel control yet. I would definately leave things are they are for now and wait until she tells you she needs a poo. By what you say, she's a very clever little girl and I'm sure as soon as she's aware she's doing it, you'll have no problems with this potty training lark !!

As I said before, 3 is the most common age to be gaining some bowel control so don't worry. You are doing all the right things.

lilymolly Wed 17-Sep-08 09:57:04

Ah thanks smile

dscully Sat 27-Sep-08 22:54:56

I went back to pull-ups felt like a backward step but he still wee'd on loo, treat as pants. Took bigpush to get rid but my DS is 3.5 and knew it was time as very clever and well aware of bowel movements.

It doesnt matter, it saves chucking /washing pants. Try again soon

notnowbernard Sat 27-Sep-08 22:57:34

God, yes, doing the right thing imo! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now