Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Flexitots

(12 Posts)
apricotcake Fri 12-Sep-08 23:54:31

Am thinking of getting flexitots for my newborn - still waiting for her as I'm overdue so lots of time to ponder real nappies! I think they are quite new but liked the sales pitch - outer layer for stopping leaks, inner (bamboo i think for absorbancy and meant to dry a bit faster than some. Any advice on pros/cons would be great, thanks.

BigBadMousey Sat 13-Sep-08 09:26:50

Be warned they are more bulky than they make them out to be - there is a photo on my profile of my DS in one at and although he is quite a big boy they swamped him. They would be fine for older babies.

I'm not convinced about that outer layer at all - they need a wrap and wraps are for stopping leaks so no idea what you need anopther layer for. If you have a decent wrap then you won;t get leaks wether you have this layer or not hmm. Motherease Wraps are the most bombproof - totsbots newest wraps are supposed to be very good but I haven't tried them. The usual TB wraps are far more prone to leaks than Motherease.

The flexitot is bamboo with a microfibre inner. I am still unsure if the microfibre inner might end up ponging a bit after some use. Microfibre is prone to this - especially if it isn;t dried quickly or throughly and with that hidden layer I'm not sure either is going to be easy to achieve. Bamboo takes longer to dry than cotton, microfibre is quicker drying. The flexitot dries relatively slowly - my Size 1 bamboozles dried quicker (I raced 'em grin).

Pros are they are a lovely stretchy fit and very different to any other nappy on the market. They are soft and squidgy and fasten nicely and I think on an older baby they would be a far better fit.

hth.

ChupitosGalore Sat 13-Sep-08 09:31:32

ive never found microfibre to smell...

none of mine are in nappies anymore but when/if i have another im going to go mental buying cute little newborn nappies... bamboo sandys, swaddlebees, bimbles and all that... yum. (ive only ever used real nappies on an older baby)

boogeek Sat 13-Sep-08 09:35:13

I've got some for my toddler - the totsbots that she inherited from her older sister were on their last legs. I love them and if I went back to buy more now, would buy all flexitots rather than the mixture I chose at the time. I use them with motherease wraps.
Don't know about for a newborn though - like mousey says, they are bulkyish (though for the sake of putting clothes over them they are good because the bulk is between the legs, like a disposable, rather than all over like other cloth nappies). I wonder whether you have a nappy agent near you who would let you try one on your baby (when it arrives )? Otherwise I would advise only buying a couple to see how you get on at first.
The sales pitch is way off for drying though - these are the slowest nappies to dry. If you don't have a tumbledryer then I really would not consider them (I dry outside them put them in the dryer to finish off - the flexitots are often the only ones that needs to be finished, even the bamboozles dry faster).
Of course, despite the blurb, most people don't use shaped nappies on their newborn anyway - nearly everybody I know has used terries (or I just folded muslins) to start with.

IzzyWizzyletsgetbusy Sat 13-Sep-08 14:26:58

I discovered these only about a month before dd decided to potty train, bought three and loved them. She was almost two and I found them really slim compared to other nappies but have no experience of them on newborns. They are slow to dry - very slow - but I don't mind tumbling when necessary and if I was having another now I would certainly be tempted to make them one of my staples! (I have even hung onto my three now to boost (only a little) and use for nights, as dd is objecting to the bulkier night nappies after wearing pants all day.)

Re wraps: the ME wraps are great, but we had just started finding that the bindings were leaving red marks on dd's chubby thighs, so I tried a couple of the new Tots wraps (the Flexiwrap version) and they were brill and much more slim-fitting than our old Airflows. Together with the flexitots, great for squeezing under skimpy next trousers!! (but, as I said, it is of course very different fitting a toddler than a newborn!). Oh and the white wraps are made of a slightly different material to the patterned ones, and are softer and stretchier.

Good luck!

apricotcake Sun 14-Sep-08 17:22:46

Thanks for all of this, it's a great help to hear what the sales pitch doesn't tell you wink We have an outside space for drying but i'm not keen to use a tumble dryer cos it kinda defeats to purpose of using real nappies in the first place. May even go for terries to start with.

BigbadM, your son is so handsome, (i really want to meet mine now!) and yes that flexitot looks pretty huge on him.

This realnappiesworld is a whole new world i never knew existed!

BigBadMousey Sun 14-Sep-08 17:39:38

Thanks <burst with pride> - no idea where he gets his looks from though!

Hope you get to meet yours soon smile - the waiting drives you round the bend doesn't it? My DS was 9 days late - I stupidly expected him to be on time or early like his sisters were.....

boogeek Sun 14-Sep-08 18:16:54

Well (to slightly contradict my earlier post hmm) if you are keen to only dry outside, the flexitots are the best of my collection at staying soft - some nappies go really crispy if you don't tumble at all. You'd just have to be really organised in your washing schedule and allow a good 24 hours to get them properly dry.
I only need to tumble for 10 or 15 minutes after a day on the line.

glitterbird Mon 15-Sep-08 10:51:16

Hi

I have been using flexitots since my ds was 4 weeks old (he is 14 weeks now) and I think they are great. I have never tumbledried them and had no problems with drying times approx 24 hours (although I don't know how this compares to other nappies) they are really soft and absorbent and not at all bulky compared with other nappies on sale. I have a couple of 1 size bumgenius and these are huge in comparision. I bought mine at the baby show so got 20% off so if you are able to go to the next one you can see them in person and get and get them at the sale price, I bought a pack of 15 with 4 wraps and 100 liners.

good luck with whatever you choose but I would recommend them to everyone

apricotcake Mon 15-Sep-08 18:24:48

Brill thanks, smile, good to know approx drying times and I'm sure I can use the tumble dryer for emergency finshing off!

Nappyzoneneedssleep Mon 15-Sep-08 21:02:05

I liked them though not a lover of two parters generally - containment was good when ds had the runs nd they lasted overnight easily - not a stay dry liner which is about the only downside of it as a two parter i can think off - not as quick drying as my pockets butif your not going to be comparing them and allow for this they are canny smile. The wraps that come with the kits are plain white and much softer than the patterend ones - most rtailers will happil swap wraps about. I would probably get a few and try before you go out and buy a full kit.

Nappyzoneneedssleep Mon 15-Sep-08 21:02:45

I liked them though not a lover of two parters generally - containment was good when ds had the runs nd they lasted overnight easily - not a stay dry liner which is about the only downside of it as a two parter i can think off - not as quick drying as my pockets butif your not going to be comparing them and allow for this they are canny smile. The wraps that come with the kits are plain white and much softer than the patterend ones - most rtailers will happil swap wraps about. I would probably get a few and try before you go out and buy a full kit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now